Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Tesco at the Garden Centre!  (Read 18477 times)

marpleexile

Re: Tesco at the Garden Centre!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

I doubt that this means a 'supermarket' interest. Theres far more likelihood of a succesful planning application at Hibbert Lane than Otterspool. One for the conspiracy theorists this one I think.

Why do you say that, I would have thought that it would be the other way round, particularly given that Otterspool is already commercial use.

Because there are different types of retail designation in planning terms - food retail being very specific. An 'out of town' supermarket at Otterspool which would require nigh on every trip to and from that site by car would pretty much ride roughshod over all relevant planning policy. I wouldn't give a supermarket operator any chance of making that case. The Hibbert Lane case is much more open to debate as its not 'out of town' simply 'just outside town centre'.

Garden Centres are typically given a bit more leeway anyway given the bulky nature of most of their sales, but in any event most have grown out of small nursery developments and therefore their locations are historically less central than other retail uses.

Ahh, makes sense when you put it like that.

Miss Marple

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
I think Tesco maybe one step ahead !  The garden centre already sells, food, clothing, electrical items, flowers , Cd's , DVDs, animal foods, household items and it even has a cafe. There would not be a  real change in use information in the DPD  :-\

Dave

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
I'm sure belly's right about this. Current planning guidelines are strongly against 'out of town' supermarkets, and favour 'edge of town' or town centre.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »

I doubt that this means a 'supermarket' interest. Theres far more likelihood of a succesful planning application at Hibbert Lane than Otterspool. One for the conspiracy theorists this one I think.

Why do you say that, I would have thought that it would be the other way round, particularly given that Otterspool is already commercial use.

Because there are different types of retail designation in planning terms - food retail being very specific. An 'out of town' supermarket at Otterspool which would require nigh on every trip to and from that site by car would pretty much ride roughshod over all relevant planning policy. I wouldn't give a supermarket operator any chance of making that case. The Hibbert Lane case is much more open to debate as its not 'out of town' simply 'just outside town centre'.

Garden Centres are typically given a bit more leeway anyway given the bulky nature of most of their sales, but in any event most have grown out of small nursery developments and therefore their locations are historically less central than other retail uses.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Smithy166

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 02:18:58 AM »
Now, forgive me for being wrong here,
But I thought that marple garden centre was a private venture that owned the land.
To be honest, Tesco just don't seem to know went to raise the white flag, First they want to build in somewhere thats not suitable, so they go away, and try to build somewhere thats EVEN LESS suitable!  ::)

marpleexile

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 01:50:06 AM »

amazon

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
I was joking about marching  !  I fancy myself as a bit of a comedian   ;D

There is an   answer to that but wont say what it is . 

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »
Looks like I may have to dust off my Marching boots in preparation for another March for Marple ?  There is a very strong rumour that Tesco maybe after that site as their sister company already owns the land  :-\

Dobbies (Tesco) are supposedly interested in acquiring the best of 'The Gardebn Centre Groups' sites. I don't know if that includes Marple, as the group does currently own over 120 garden centres.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
I was joking about marching  !  I fancy myself as a bit of a comedian   ;D

marpleexile

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 05:08:23 AM »
Seriously though Miss Marple, why would you protest and march?

The Garden Centre land is already a commercial property. It's not in a residential, or even semi-residential area. And a decent sized supermarket getting being built down there, would help the arguments against one on Hibbert Lane - in fact, Asda (or others for that matter) might even think twice about going ahead with trying to get Hibbert Lane, as a supermarket down on Otterspool would almost certainly be built, opened, and thriving before the dust settles on he initial planning application, nevermind the end appeals, calls for public inquires, etc, that are bound to be associated with any move on Hibbert Lane.

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »
Oh no Tina !  I am waiting for you to start walking the walk not just talking the talk !  Lol  :D

tina

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
(IF) Tesco was to be at the garden centre then why march about it? MM is your life that dull that you have to keep marching and protesting? I would be very interested in what you would like in marple apart from the costa coffee, which doesnt seem to bother you if other coffee shops close down? we are not a little village anymore where people want to sit around drinking coffee all day.

Miss Marple

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
Dobbies ?  :-*

Harry

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »
Oh it can't be that strong a rumour. You've only just started it.

I would have thought the rumour about a traveller's site was far more worrying.
Tesco already own the land.  I don't think TESCO recognise Gypsy Rights do you ?

Tesco don't own the land where there may be a traveller's site.

Check with your mole in the planning department.

amazon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »
Looks like I may have to dust off my Marching boots in preparation for another March for Marple ?  There is a very strong rumour that Tesco maybe after that site as their sister company already owns the land  :-\
             You Must be worn out Marching against everything .