All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Costa Coffee comes to Marple  (Read 60449 times)

Dave

Re: Costa Coffee comes to Marple
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 11:13:21 AM »
I suspect that the council threatened the Co-op with a compulsory purchase if they continued to leave it standing empty.  Probably not for the first time - it may well have happened before, causing the Co-op to use it for a while as a showroom for microwaves and washing machines!   Local authorities do have the power to do that, I believe, although it's a power they don't like using, as it costs money, which is something councils don't have.   :-\

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
except artcatdog they DID let it go to rack and ruin for years!!  Its only recently, and maybe the pressure from this forum helped, that the coop have improved the look of the building and only now theyve let anyone but themselves use it!

richard

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »
Seems to me that this thread is part of the anti supermarket campaign. I thought it was about coffee shops etc.
We always seem to return to the main area of disagreement in Marple at the moment and not concentrating on other issues that affect other business's within the town. The fact that one of the multiples is coming to town is just a foretaste of what is to come. I think that most would agree that Marple has to change to keep up with current trends and consumer needs, but let's not forget the small local businesses that are the heart of the town And will continue to be so, for as long as the local community support them   

marpleexile

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
Some people in Marple will never be happy, always moaning about something! Co-op allow Costa to move in, putting their own coffee shop in jeopardy and STILL people wine and moan about it! Co-op own that building and if they wish to split it, then they will... just like the college are doing what they like with their land, the Co-op can do what they want with their property. If ASDA or TESCO were operating from where the Co-op is now, do you think they'd allow the Co-op to open up a store in Hanburys? No would they heck!!! EVERY SUPERMARKET CHAIN in the country land banks, at least Co-op are doing something positive with the site, TESCO would let it go to rack and ruin.

You're right, they all do it. But the reason they do it is to stop harmful competition. My point was that whilst they gain in the short term, by stopping a minor competitor from opening up, they'll probably lose in the long term as MIA/The No campaign have lost one of their arguments against a supermarket on Hibbert. It's my opinion that should a supermarket be built on Hibbert, then the Co-Op will be the single biggest loser out of the local shops, and the one in most danger of going to the wall. Much better to have a Tesco Express, or a Sainsburys Local and have MIA be able to state we don't need another supermarket, we already have two, than having only one (which is considered to be very poor by most) and nowhere else a second one could be built.

simpleton

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
Well Said

artcatdog

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Some people in Marple will never be happy, always moaning about something! Co-op allow Costa to move in, putting their own coffee shop in jeopardy and STILL people wine and moan about it! Co-op own that building and if they wish to split it, then they will... just like the college are doing what they like with their land, the Co-op can do what they want with their property. If ASDA or TESCO were operating from where the Co-op is now, do you think they'd allow the Co-op to open up a store in Hanburys? No would they heck!!! EVERY SUPERMARKET CHAIN in the country land banks, at least Co-op are doing something positive with the site, TESCO would let it go to rack and ruin.

alison

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
Blimey, there's more conspiracy theories than Spooks on here! :D

rsh

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
I hope the Friends of Memorial Park are ready for an influx of red Costa paper cups...

It seems a shame that the upstairs of the building with those nice big windows apparently won't be used.

Dave

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Very good point, marpleexile.  If the Co-op let the former Hanbury's shop to, say, Sainsbury's, for a Sainsbury's Local convenience store,  it would probably not threaten the Co-op unduly, because those places are not cheap.  But such a move might still reduce the likelihood of a big supermarket getting planning consent. 

So by letting to Costa Coffee instead, the Co-op are increasing the likelihood of a supermarket being built on Hibbert Lane, to which they would undoubtedly lose loads of business.   However, by doing this they are also  (indirectly) contributing to the enhancement of educational facilities in Marple.  So good on yer, Co-op!   ;D

marpleexile

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »
Out of interest - do the coop do takeout?

Yes, they do take-out and I agree that the coffe is very good.

Do we know that the Co-Op are going to continue their coffee shop in competition with Costa or is it possible they have agreed to close the Co-Op one? My understanding - which could be completely wrong, although I have it from what I consider to be a very good source - is that the Co-Op lease the former Hanbury store from the owner and they will be sub-letting to Costa and whoever goes in the other section. If that's the case then perhaps they've done a deal?

I still see the splitting of the Hanbury building as a strategy by the Co-Op to stop all the complaints about it being empty but to ensure that it cannot be used by a competing supermarket. Perhaps I'm being too cynical? 

I think you're probably right. And it's seems just the sort of dumb thing that the Co-Op would do.

They have a great opportunity to do the community (and themselves) a favour, by showing that Marple doesn't need another supermarket, and they are blowing it at every opportunity. They haven't stepped up their game in terms of pricing, stock control and service. And now they are playing into the hands of people who want another supermarket, by preventing a small, convience sized store, which would provide modest competition, from opening, which increases the chances that a larger store will be built, which would blow them out of the water!

artcatdog

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
The Co-op cafe is good but it is not set out very well in terms of seating, it is often hard to find a seat.  They could far better improve it. Also, many older people that I have chatted to in there complain about the 'banging noises'. I soon worked out that they meant the constant banging of the coffee machine utensils (or something) which is quite annoying! (Surely they could try do it quieter, after all people have paid to sit and relax with a drink or lunch) Although maybe they do this at any coffee place?

Its hard to find a seat because it is busy and its  busy because its popular - what can the staff do about that? Nothing unfortunately.

The banging noise comes from the emptying of the Coffee from the Coffee cradle on the machine, its the same in Starbucks or Costa, its has to be done as otherwise the used coffee stays in the cradle and this leaves a very bitter taste (from the used coffee) in your drink. So what would you prefer? A bit of banging now and then (which happens in every coffee shop) or disgusting coffee that you can not drink?

Yep they do take out too.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »

Yes, they do take-out and I agree that the coffe is very good.

Do we know that the Co-Op are going to continue their coffee shop in competition with Costa or is it possible they have agreed to close the Co-Op one? My understanding - which could be completely wrong, although I have it from what I consider to be a very good source - is that the Co-Op lease the former Hanbury store from the owner and they will be sub-letting to Costa and whoever goes in the other section. If that's the case then perhaps they've done a deal?

I still see the splitting of the Hanbury building as a strategy by the Co-Op to stop all the complaints about it being empty but to ensure that it cannot be used by a competing supermarket. Perhaps I'm being too cynical? 
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

JMC

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »
Yep it's true, Marple will finally be put on the map as Costa Coffee comes to Marple.  Shop next to Book makers and Greggs currently under offer.  It will be split into two shops currently up for sale.  Just what Marple needs a decent cup of coffee and open seven days a week.  I for one am very pleased.  Can't wait hope everyone else sees it as a plus for Marple.

You can already get a decent cup of Coffee in Marple. The Co-operative Cafe serve the best coffee in the area, £1.70 for a fabulous Cappuccino or Latte, its as cheap as Chips!! Costa will struggle against them, they even have a deal where you can get a massive piece of Carrot Cake and any regular drink - Latte, Cappuccio, Mocha ect for £2.50!!! Costa won't ever be able to compete with those prices and all their drinks are fair trade.

The Co-op cafe is good but it is not set out very well in terms of seating, it is often hard to find a seat.  They could far better improve it. Also, many older people that I have chatted to in there complain about the 'banging noises'. I soon worked out that they meant the constant banging of the coffee machine utensils (or something) which is quite annoying! (Surely they could try do it quieter, after all people have paid to sit and relax with a drink or lunch) Although maybe they do this at any coffee place?

alison

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »

artcatdog

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
Yep it's true, Marple will finally be put on the map as Costa Coffee comes to Marple.  Shop next to Book makers and Greggs currently under offer.  It will be split into two shops currently up for sale.  Just what Marple needs a decent cup of coffee and open seven days a week.  I for one am very pleased.  Can't wait hope everyone else sees it as a plus for Marple.

You can already get a decent cup of Coffee in Marple. The Co-operative Cafe serve the best coffee in the area, £1.70 for a fabulous Cappuccino or Latte, its as cheap as Chips!! Costa will struggle against them, they even have a deal where you can get a massive piece of Carrot Cake and any regular drink - Latte, Cappuccio, Mocha ect for £2.50!!! Costa won't ever be able to compete with those prices and all their drinks are fair trade.