Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 24, 2014, 09:26:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Magpie Cottage - Luxury Self-catering in Marple with Spa Facilities and Fishing

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Costa Coffee comes to Marple  (Read 20721 times)
Duke Fame

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2011, 08:45:47 PM »

Post overwritten. Admin
amazon

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

as posted on this forum few days ago broken window COSTA COFFEE ,there is a ctv camera on the side near the door another six inches to the end on the wall and it would cover the front of the building .as well .do you think they are not allowed to do this . human rights etc   
Dave

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »

Students

They must have more money than I did when I was one.

Aye. In them days, we'd have been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.   In a filthy, cracked cup.

But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

He was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiny old house, with great big holes in the roof.

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe you.

(With apologies to Monty Python  Wink)

sgk

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »

as posted on this forum few days ago broken window COSTA COFFEE ,there is a ctv camera on the side near the door another six inches to the end on the wall and it would cover the front of the building .as well .do you think they are not allowed to do this . human rights etc   

Perfectly legal.  See http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/cctv_code_of_practice_html/9_responsibilities.html
Duke Fame

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 12:54:31 PM »

Very good point, marpleexile.  If the Co-op let the former Hanbury's shop to, say, Sainsbury's, for a Sainsbury's Local convenience store,  it would probably not threaten the Co-op unduly, because those places are not cheap.  But such a move might still reduce the likelihood of a big supermarket getting planning consent. 

So by letting to Costa Coffee instead, the Co-op are increasing the likelihood of a supermarket being built on Hibbert Lane, to which they would undoubtedly lose loads of business.   However, by doing this they are also  (indirectly) contributing to the enhancement of educational facilities in Marple.  So good on yer, Co-op!   Grin

The truth is that the building is not attractive as a supermarket.
Miss Marple

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »

Very good point, marpleexile.  If the Co-op let the former Hanbury's shop to, say, Sainsbury's, for a Sainsbury's Local convenience store,  it would probably not threaten the Co-op unduly, because those places are not cheap.  But such a move might still reduce the likelihood of a big supermarket getting planning consent. 

So by letting to Costa Coffee instead, the Co-op are increasing the likelihood of a supermarket being built on Hibbert Lane, to which they would undoubtedly lose loads of business.   However, by doing this they are also  (indirectly) contributing to the enhancement of educational facilities in Marple.  So good on yer, Co-op!   Grin
it's attracted me!  It's wonderful !

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Duke Fame

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »

it's attracted me!  It's wonderful !

It's not a supermarket though Miss M.

cough, what happened to supporting the local inependant trader.
Miss Marple

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »

Isn't it a franchise like the Spar ? 

Howard
Global Moderator

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »

Isn't it a franchise like the Spar ? 

You are correct, Miss M. However, so are McDonalds and Subway and I can't see Marple welcoming them in the way that Costa has been welcomed. Some franchises have a better image than others.

Howard
Dave

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Aren't we in danger of being a bit snobby here, Howard?  There are a lot of young people at the college and at Marple Hall who I'm sure would welcome a McDonalds or Subway with open arms (and mouths    Tongue )
Howard
Global Moderator

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »

Dave, I said:
I can't see Marple welcoming them in the way that Costa has been welcomed

This is nothing to do with my preference but that of the amorphous "Marple" entity. When they were much younger, I took my own kids to McDonalds for what they considered treats (Happy Meals toys etc) and I have been known to wolf down a Meatball Sub on the odd occasion.

For whatever reason, and I'm happy to be proved wrong, my impression is that the nice interiors at Costa (armchairs, wooden tables etc) contribute towards the feeling that, as a chain, it is considered superior in some way to the bright tiled plastic interiors at, for example, McDonalds.

That's too many commas and sub-clauses, but I expect you get my drift.

Howard
Miss Marple

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

i have been informed that the franchise owner is local but not sure ?

chicken lady

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »

i have been informed that the franchise owner is local but not sure ?

well that's all right then  Tongue
Howard
Global Moderator

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »

As well as local employment, a franchise will retain a higher percentage of its profit locally compared to a nationally-owned chain where the profits go back centrally and contributes little other than providing employment and business rates to the local economy.

If a business can't be locally-owned then the next best alternative would be a franchise when compared to a national chain.

Howard
thebigshed

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »

Aren't we in danger of being a bit snobby here, Howard?  There are a lot of young people at the college and at Marple Hall who I'm sure would welcome a McDonalds or Subway with open arms (and mouths    Tongue )

I heard a rumour that Subway are moving next door to Costa Coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite