To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Costa Coffee comes to Marple  (Read 22350 times)

minx

Costa Coffee comes to Marple
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Yep it's true, Marple will finally be put on the map as Costa Coffee comes to Marple.  Shop next to Book makers and Greggs currently under offer.  It will be split into two shops currently up for sale.  Just what Marple needs a decent cup of coffee and open seven days a week.  I for one am very pleased.  Can't wait hope everyone else sees it as a plus for Marple.

bat man

Re: Costa Coffee comes to Marple
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 07:04:46 PM »
Do you know were this info has come from :-X
Laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and moan and your on your own...

RandomPerson

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:10:18 PM »
Full details are available on the Stockport Council Planning Portal. This includes full plans and details of the approved application by Costa Coffee. This will be a large Coffee Shop which will shake things up a bit for the numerous other cafes in Marple.

bat man

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
Thank you  :D

bat man

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »
White no sugar ;)

tricky

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
Has already been posted in another thread but here's the link to the plans..

Re: Co-Op and "Hanburys" site
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2011, 05:50:02 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HERE are the plans/details etc of the Proposed Costa in the old Hanburys shop

http://tinyurl.com/3h524cc
meh

richard

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
I don't that Costa coffee coming to Marple will entice more people to the town centre. Marple has a number of excellent coffee shops most of which are owned by Marple residents.  Costa is part of a 2000strong chain of coffee shops owned by Whitbread who will not be able to match a level of service that you will receive elsewhere in the town. Who want's to sit and have a very expensive coffee ( way more than all the other shops) and a cake or panini manufactured in a factory. I understand that it is personal choice and I am.sure it will thrive, mostly at the expense of the coop cafe.

artcatdog

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
Yep it's true, Marple will finally be put on the map as Costa Coffee comes to Marple.  Shop next to Book makers and Greggs currently under offer.  It will be split into two shops currently up for sale.  Just what Marple needs a decent cup of coffee and open seven days a week.  I for one am very pleased.  Can't wait hope everyone else sees it as a plus for Marple.

You can already get a decent cup of Coffee in Marple. The Co-operative Cafe serve the best coffee in the area, £1.70 for a fabulous Cappuccino or Latte, its as cheap as Chips!! Costa will struggle against them, they even have a deal where you can get a massive piece of Carrot Cake and any regular drink - Latte, Cappuccio, Mocha ect for £2.50!!! Costa won't ever be able to compete with those prices and all their drinks are fair trade.

alison

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »
Out of interest - do the coop do takeout?

JMC

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »

You can already get a decent cup of Coffee in Marple. The Co-operative Cafe serve the best coffee in the area, £1.70 for a fabulous Cappuccino or Latte, its as cheap as Chips!! Costa will struggle against them, they even have a deal where you can get a massive piece of Carrot Cake and any regular drink - Latte, Cappuccio, Mocha ect for £2.50!!! Costa won't ever be able to compete with those prices and all their drinks are fair trade.

The Co-op cafe is good but it is not set out very well in terms of seating, it is often hard to find a seat.  They could far better improve it. Also, many older people that I have chatted to in there complain about the 'banging noises'. I soon worked out that they meant the constant banging of the coffee machine utensils (or something) which is quite annoying! (Surely they could try do it quieter, after all people have paid to sit and relax with a drink or lunch) Although maybe they do this at any coffee place?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »

Yes, they do take-out and I agree that the coffe is very good.

Do we know that the Co-Op are going to continue their coffee shop in competition with Costa or is it possible they have agreed to close the Co-Op one? My understanding - which could be completely wrong, although I have it from what I consider to be a very good source - is that the Co-Op lease the former Hanbury store from the owner and they will be sub-letting to Costa and whoever goes in the other section. If that's the case then perhaps they've done a deal?

I still see the splitting of the Hanbury building as a strategy by the Co-Op to stop all the complaints about it being empty but to ensure that it cannot be used by a competing supermarket. Perhaps I'm being too cynical? 
Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website

artcatdog

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
The Co-op cafe is good but it is not set out very well in terms of seating, it is often hard to find a seat.  They could far better improve it. Also, many older people that I have chatted to in there complain about the 'banging noises'. I soon worked out that they meant the constant banging of the coffee machine utensils (or something) which is quite annoying! (Surely they could try do it quieter, after all people have paid to sit and relax with a drink or lunch) Although maybe they do this at any coffee place?

Its hard to find a seat because it is busy and its  busy because its popular - what can the staff do about that? Nothing unfortunately.

The banging noise comes from the emptying of the Coffee from the Coffee cradle on the machine, its the same in Starbucks or Costa, its has to be done as otherwise the used coffee stays in the cradle and this leaves a very bitter taste (from the used coffee) in your drink. So what would you prefer? A bit of banging now and then (which happens in every coffee shop) or disgusting coffee that you can not drink?

Yep they do take out too.

marpleexile

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »

Yes, they do take-out and I agree that the coffe is very good.

Do we know that the Co-Op are going to continue their coffee shop in competition with Costa or is it possible they have agreed to close the Co-Op one? My understanding - which could be completely wrong, although I have it from what I consider to be a very good source - is that the Co-Op lease the former Hanbury store from the owner and they will be sub-letting to Costa and whoever goes in the other section. If that's the case then perhaps they've done a deal?

I still see the splitting of the Hanbury building as a strategy by the Co-Op to stop all the complaints about it being empty but to ensure that it cannot be used by a competing supermarket. Perhaps I'm being too cynical? 

I think you're probably right. And it's seems just the sort of dumb thing that the Co-Op would do.

They have a great opportunity to do the community (and themselves) a favour, by showing that Marple doesn't need another supermarket, and they are blowing it at every opportunity. They haven't stepped up their game in terms of pricing, stock control and service. And now they are playing into the hands of people who want another supermarket, by preventing a small, convience sized store, which would provide modest competition, from opening, which increases the chances that a larger store will be built, which would blow them out of the water!

Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Very good point, marpleexile.  If the Co-op let the former Hanbury's shop to, say, Sainsbury's, for a Sainsbury's Local convenience store,  it would probably not threaten the Co-op unduly, because those places are not cheap.  But such a move might still reduce the likelihood of a big supermarket getting planning consent. 

So by letting to Costa Coffee instead, the Co-op are increasing the likelihood of a supermarket being built on Hibbert Lane, to which they would undoubtedly lose loads of business.   However, by doing this they are also  (indirectly) contributing to the enhancement of educational facilities in Marple.  So good on yer, Co-op!   ;D

rsh

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
I hope the Friends of Memorial Park are ready for an influx of red Costa paper cups...

It seems a shame that the upstairs of the building with those nice big windows apparently won't be used.