Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Recording of Extraordinary Area Committee Meeting  (Read 17156 times)

Henry_

Re: Recording of Extraordinary Area Committee Meeting
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »
I can really really assure you that there is only one militant member of MIA and that's me !

You don't say!!  ;D ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
I can really really assure you that there is only one militant member of MIA and that's me ! Must be all those years working for unions ? :-*

JMC

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
many of these were instinctively against the idea before being put off by the increasingly militant tone of the MIA campaign.

I have noticed this too and strongly agree.

Henry_

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »
It's not just people on low incomes who would like a new supermarket in Marple. I know many people across income brackets who are for it, or are on the fence and would like to see what the real plans are before making up their minds - many of these were instinctively against the idea before being put off by the increasingly militant tone of the MIA campaign.

Let's not get into this class war thread of debate again. People will take offence, there'll be posts getting deleted and all that rubbish.

Sareena

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
People can't fail to notice that a lot of people who shout I am on a low income have top of the range buggies for their children and dress them in so called designer clothes.So I think the clothes section in Asda will be off limits,The very thought!People with children are not on a low income,Child care vouchers ,child benefit,tax credits for all plus whatever else.So if people say they are on a low income,a lot of us wouldn't mind a bit of that.People think they should have it all. ::)

I disagree.
I am on a low income. My child's pram was a gift which i have had she was born. It is falling apart but i can't afford to get a new one. My child wears whatever i have passed down to me or clothes from the charity shop. I would like to shop at Asda for my child's clothes as I find M&CO so expensive. I'm guessing you are basing you opinions on seeing a few people on low incomes and judging everyone based on that.

sooty2

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
It is not about limiting choice.To me it is about building a whacking great big supermarket on Hibbert Lane in the middle of peoples homes and possibly putting the local shops out of business.The yes people that are spying are out of Marple so why do some make out they can't afford to shop elsewhere.I wish they would make their minds up ::)

JMC

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
If you say that there are "no " signs in peoples cars,then I take your word for it.I have not seen any myself.But it is a fact that some people do some shopping out of Marple for convenience. Say where they work or on the way home.The "yes" people seem to do a lot of out of town shopping to keep seeing the people with the signs!I don't think it does them any favours to say they are spying on people.I shop where I like mostly in Marple,and will continue to do so.You cannot presume that all low income families want a supermarket on Hibbert Lane,They don't.

This is in reply to JMC.

I agree that not all low income families are YES. Most of the ones I know are on the fence. I was talking about the NO signs in cars as I felt that is why Gary mentioned watching those people shopping out of Marple and I said it was a fair point. Some people DO find it hypocritical that those who CAN choose want to linit the choices of those ho cannot. I also agree that many people shop after work etc.

sooty2

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
People can't fail to notice that a lot of people who shout I am on a low income have top of the range buggies for their children and dress them in so called designer clothes.So I think the clothes section in Asda will be off limits,The very thought!People with children are not on a low income,Child care vouchers ,child benefit,tax credits for all plus whatever else.So if people say they are on a low income,a lot of us wouldn't mind a bit of that.People think they should have it all. ::)

JMC

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
JMC why do you feel that it's hypocritical   MIA are against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane not against supermarkets !  I have to shop outside of Marple as all my family are veggie and the Coop and Iceland despite numerous phone calls do not carry a good range of veggie stuff.
MIA also have low income families, people on benefits and disabled members and not one of them have ever said that they are living on the bread line.  
My daughter has two very small children but works full time to afford the life style she enjoys she has never wanted to remain at home on one wage or benefits she prefers to work.  I do not know anyone personally who does have the luxury of staying at home looking after their children, the people I know work in-between their partners / parents shifts or share child care with friends to earn a little extra.
If people choose to remain at home looking after their children that's great because that's really how it should be, but I suspect the majority go out to afford the extras that sadly one wage these days does not provide for.  I personally have worked all my life and worked that around my children, but that was my choice as it is other peoples choice to stay at home and look after their children. One of my friends earns over £1000 a month cleaning when the children are in bed,  where theres a will theres a way .
I know I will be slatted for this but this is my view/opinion and experience
O
Not sure whether the fact that different people stay home/work when they have children has to do with this? Surely that is a matter for the individual? (I personally have done both and much prefer to look after my own children (and not miss out) but that is personal choice and I am lucky to be able to have a choice in that=agree with you there-although I choose to scale back material items as they don't mean so much to me. I also know many stay home mums both low and high income-some people cannot afford TO work! Not everyone has a partner working regular hours that they can work around!) Also many working people are also low income. It's not just a case of low income means non working. In addition I happen to believe that parenting small children is a perfectly valuable job in itself and was glad my mother was around when we were small.
Many people are on a low income due to no fault or choice of their own you know!

sooty2

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
If you say that there are "no " signs in peoples cars,then I take your word for it.I have not seen any myself.But it is a fact that some people do some shopping out of Marple for convenience. Say where they work or on the way home.The "yes" people seem to do a lot of out of town shopping to keep seeing the people with the signs!I don't think it does them any favours to say they are spying on people.I shop where I like mostly in Marple,and will continue to do so.You cannot presume that all low income families want a supermarket on Hibbert Lane,They don't.

This is in reply to JMC.

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:48 PM »
JMC why do you feel that it's hypocritical   MIA are against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane not against supermarkets !  I have to shop outside of Marple as all my family are veggie and the Coop and Iceland despite numerous phone calls do not carry a good range of veggie stuff.
MIA also have low income families, people on benefits and disabled members and not one of them have ever said that they are living on the bread line.  
My daughter has two very small children but works full time to afford the life style she enjoys she has never wanted to remain at home on one wage or benefits she prefers to work.  I do not know anyone personally who does have the luxury of staying at home looking after their children, the people I know work in-between their partners / parents shifts or share child care with friends to earn a little extra.
If people choose to remain at home looking after their children that's great because that's really how it should be, but I suspect the majority go out to afford the extras that sadly one wage these days does not provide for.  I personally have worked all my life and worked that around my children, but that was my choice as it is other peoples choice to stay at home and look after their children. One of my friends earns over £1000 a month cleaning when the children are in bed,  where theres a will theres a way .
I know I will be slatted for this but this is my view/opinion and experience
O

JMC

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »
I am glad it was filmed so I can laugh at the antics of the Yes people.Did you know they watch where you shop,in which town,what store name is on your bags and even what's in it!You couldn't make it up ::)

But they do have a point. It does come accross as hypocritical that some people want to stop low income families from having more choice yet they themselves have the means to make a choice to go out of town. From what i heard of the video (only saw the first 5 mins as my PC crashed) Gary (I think he was called?) said the above in response to people questioning him on why he was threatening local shops (with the YES campaign) and not supporting them. I took it as him meaning that those questioning him were also not fully supporting local shops. It's not just Gary, many people have said to me (I talk to alot of people!) that they find it hypocritical that people with NO signs are in local supermarket car parks (not Marple ones).

sooty2

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »
Is it common practice for this type of meeting to be filmed?  People attending the meeting were told that if they didn't want to be filmed their only option was to leave - this doesn't seem very democratic.   I asked Cllr Ingham if the film had been made available to anybody other than Stockport Council but she sidestepped the question. 
I am glad it was filmed so I can laugh at the antics of the Yes people.Did you know they watch where you shop,in which town,what store name is on your bags and even what's in it!You couldn't make it up ::)

Henry_

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
HWL1973 you are a prominent member of the YES campaign so you will also see what you want to see.
My point exactly MM. Agree 100%. Gutted I couldn't make it to the meeting

Miss Marple

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
HWL1973 you are a prominent member of the YES campaign so you will also see what you want to see.