Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Alternative site  (Read 39049 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Alternative site
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:43 PM »
A more sensible and European opening times of say mid day till 8    or  9-12    3-8 would certainly be an improvement

It's down to the retailer at teh end of the day, they have a life to lead and if they can't guarantee a turnover to cover / exceed the min wage of staff members along with all the problems/costs of employing people (thanks to the hapless Labour govt) - they are not going to open longer.

I'd like to hear the business forum's view on this.

wheels

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
A more sensible and European opening times of say mid day till 8    or  9-12    3-8 would certainly be an improvement

Duke Fame

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
A medium sized supermarket opening until 8pm in the centre would complement the town centre but aldi is already in Romily, I'd have thought Llidl may be more likely. I think the retailers that are there really need to look at extending their opening hours. OK, the travel agent is not going to open til 10, nor perhaps the bag shop but the small retailer I'm involved with takes a good 30% of her turnover 5-7pm on a weekday.

alstan

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »
SMBC have appointed Kirkland Development as their preferred developer for the Chadwick Street site. They were the developers for the new retail centre at Middleton which includes an Aldi supermarket

Duke Fame

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
To date there has been some informal interest in the site and further progress after the deadline will be reported back to the area committee.

it is my understanding that the site has now been sold for a very large sum to a development company that has been working with the supermarket chain Lidl.

Thats good, I think it will work quite well.

Ideally, m&co could move next to Costa & a supermarket could take two floors of that shop but I'm told coop own the m&co building so no incentive for them.

wheels

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
To date there has been some informal interest in the site and further progress after the deadline will be reported back to the area committee.

it is my understanding that the site has now been sold for a very large sum to a development company that has been working with the supermarket chain Lidl.

Totally incorrect

Djmell

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

sooty2

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »

amazon

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
So, the deadline was 17th February. Did the council get any "expressions of interest" in the Chadwick Street site ... and is it going to tell us?

How do we find out . Miss marples your help is needed .i won't be nasty to you any more .promise   ;) ;)

amazon

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
So it could go wildly either way towards Lidl/Aldi or M&S/Waitrose... But if multistory parking were required, couldn't that knock out the budget retailers who'll be looking for a cheap build?

I suspect a multi-storey car park could be a non-starter on that site, and not just for economic reasons.  The land is slightly elevated, and anything higher then two floors could be quite an eyesore. 

The only way I can see it working would be for a supermarket to be built level with Trinity Street, into the slope, then a single flat storey of parking built across its roof, level with Chadwick Street above. No eyesore and more parking spaces, but surely too expensive for what Marple demands.

Just the sorting office site itself could be the perfect size for a "local" type chain (like one of these new Morrisons), and then the council wouldn't potentially lose control of the parking.

Why has the sorting office got to move ,they have a long lease .left .

hollins

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
So, the deadline was 17th February. Did the council get any "expressions of interest" in the Chadwick Street site ... and is it going to tell us?

rsh

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
So it could go wildly either way towards Lidl/Aldi or M&S/Waitrose... But if multistory parking were required, couldn't that knock out the budget retailers who'll be looking for a cheap build?

I suspect a multi-storey car park could be a non-starter on that site, and not just for economic reasons.  The land is slightly elevated, and anything higher then two floors could be quite an eyesore. 

The only way I can see it working would be for a supermarket to be built level with Trinity Street, into the slope, then a single flat storey of parking built across its roof, level with Chadwick Street above. No eyesore and more parking spaces, but surely too expensive for what Marple demands.

Just the sorting office site itself could be the perfect size for a "local" type chain (like one of these new Morrisons), and then the council wouldn't potentially lose control of the parking.

Dave

« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
The sorting office still have along lease .why  move something that's convenient for most people this post now is going fantasy land way .

It's no fantasy - the council's sale document makes it clear that the sorting office will definitely be relocated, 'subject to an alternative site being found.'  Which should not be too difficult.  If the Royal Mail have a long lease then the council must have reached an agreement with them. 

amazon

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »

Any ideas where the sorting office would relocate to?

The sorting office still have along lease .why  move something that's convenient for most people this post now is going fantasy land way .

Dave

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »