Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
July 26, 2014, 04:10:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Brabyns Preparatory School -Little Stars

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative site  (Read 8023 times)
My login is Henrietta

« on: October 15, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »

I've seen a discussion on here about an alternative site for a supermarket but can't find it again.

The suggestion was that the area of the car park behind Market Street and the sorting office building (assuming that RM was in agreement) would be a suitable place. In fact there is scope for enlarging this area.

The buildings on Market Street, built in 1805, between the Pineapple and the Bulls Head (not sure if the Bulls Head was included) have had a "slum clearance" order on them since before the war and as far as I am aware this has never been rescinded. It certainly hadn't in 1983 when my father retired and sold the shop premises as there was a minor kerfuffle about it in the conveyancing. As a child we lived "over the shop" on this part of the street and I remember being appalled that a row of shops and (at that time) houses which was built in the year of the Battle of Trafalgar should be marked for demolition! (I think I still would but that's another story!)

marveld

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »

1805 .... 1805 .... TESCO!

Oh no!

* tesco.jpg (223.4 KB, 700x554 - viewed 858 times.)
amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »

1805 .... 1805 .... TESCO!

Oh no!

The Humour on this site is briliant ,
sleepless

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »

The site of the sorting office and car park have been identified by Stockport Council as an area for development - see www.stockport.gov.uk/allocationsdpd and go to the section for Marple.  Suggestions for development of Hibbert Lane site are also covered on there and you can contribute your views.
Jay

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:28:19 PM »

Huh As a Marple Postie, nothing has been said nor can I find anything on the council web site about it. Please clarify.
Tina

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

Huh As a Marple Postie, nothing has been said nor can I find anything on the council web site about it. Please clarify.

The council have to say they have a site available for a supermarket within the retail zone. Unfortunately for you posties it means they would sacrifice the sorting office instead of letting the college go ahead and refurbish the Buxton Lane site.
Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »

The council have to say they have a site available for a supermarket within the retail zone. Unfortunately for you posties it means they would sacrifice the sorting office instead of letting the college go ahead and refurbish the Buxton Lane site.

I think you will find that all sorting offices are going to be centralised some have already gone

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
rsh

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »

This is never going to be a realistic option for a supermarket. You'd barely be able to fit something the size of a small M&S there and even then you'd lose Marple's main car park, doubly crippling local businesses.
Harry

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »

I think its obvious that, with the increasing population, they need to look at expanding the District Centre.

Its been done before. Look how it carefully includes the Co-op site. I'm sure it didn't do that before the Co-op built the Ridgedale Centre.

"Nothing is infinite, except the universe and stupid people, and sometimes, I doubt the universe."
--- Albert Einstein
marpleexile

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

I think its obvious that, with the increasing population, they need to look at expanding the District Centre.

Its been done before. Look how it carefully includes the Co-op site. I'm sure it didn't do that before the Co-op built the Ridgedale Centre.

Quite. And the thing is, whilst everyone rightly points out that the Hibbert Lane site is outside the District Centre, it's only just outside the district centre. The way some people talk, you'd think it was being built 1/2 a mile away in Rose Hill, or a mile away in Hawk Green. Any new supermarket on HL would be closer to the shops at that end of the DC such as Littlewoods, Harrods, etc, than the Co-Op is.
amazon

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »

I think you will find that all sorting offices are going to be centralised some have already gone

But not marple .

Jay

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 02:36:11 PM »

Apparently Marple's sorting office has been earmarked for a supermarket for over 15 years I heard today, just no room down at Stockports Green Lane site for us at the moment. You never know, we may get moved to Warrington and follow the same round route as the mail every day! So soon we'll be fighting to save that as well I guess!  Sad
Tina

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:10 AM »

Apparently Marple's sorting office has been earmarked for a supermarket for over 15 years I heard today, just no room down at Stockports Green Lane site for us at the moment. You never know, we may get moved to Warrington and follow the same round route as the mail every day! So soon we'll be fighting to save that as well I guess!  Sad

my fear is that certain people will look the other way and not fight for the sorting office! which is a shame! Sad
Steptoe and Son

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »

my fear is that certain people will look the other way and not fight for the sorting office! which is a shame! Sad

I'm sure, if it is marked for closure, we all look forward to you leading the campaign to save the sorting office then.  How easy it seems to be to belittle others...the sorting office will be an opportunity for you to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
JMC

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »

I'm sure, if it is marked for closure, we all look forward to you leading the campaign to save the sorting office then.  How easy it seems to be to belittle others...the sorting office will be an opportunity for you to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

That is abit over the top, I thought Tina made a good point. Didn't see it as belittling anybody.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite