How will a new Asda help Marple prosper ? The Asda/Walmart shareholders will prosper still further.
Here are some suggestions:
- the College will gain the advantage/necessity of modern, well-designed, teaching- and energy-efficient buildings so that Marple's students will prosper from good educational facilities;
- there will be a lot of new jobs in Marple; many people will even be able to work closer to home;
- Marple's residents won't have to drive out of Marple to a sensibly-priced supermarket, saving time, money, petrol; due to its proximity, many more will walk to the supermarket, so getting more exercise.
Certainly Walmart is a giant American company. So are Microsoft and Apple - it doesn't seem to stop people buying their software, computers and electronic gadgets. General Motors is a giant American company - it doesn't stop people buying their cars. If you have a pension then you are (indirectly) a shareholder in many companies that MiA wouldn't approve of.
Hollins comments on your statements:-
What guarantee does a new building have ensuring Marple students prosper? The college will still have the same teaching staff & teaching methods.
Re:- Marple Residents driving out of Marple
- Not everyone who shops outside Marple makes a special journey to get the weekly shop, I personally get mine on a the way home from work. Anybody who drives say 5 miles to do the weekly shop would save £2 if they chose to shop at a Asda. Jobs created
- How many jobs will be lost in the Existing shops and supermarkets?
If we want more Jobs in Marple why don't we Move Bredbury Industrial Estate to Brabyns Park then everybody who travels there from Marple would save at Least £10 a week in Petrol regain an hour a day of
Leisure time. This is admittedly a tad outrageous suggestion but a new supermarket is something that would be a convenience rather than a necessity along the same sought of lines of my idea about the moving an Industrial Estate to Brabyns Park.
Hibbert Lane is not the right place for a supermarket, it will effect that area of Marple unrecognisably in respect to traffic, noise etc throughot the day,evening and weekend. Nimby yes, but fact.
In a lot of dictionaries the meaning of " Prosper " is stated as :- "To be successful".
So what is success having relaxed peaceful area to live in with a old 6th form Colege or the New Supermarket, State of the Art ( possibly high rise ) and it's associated Traffic, Late night opening etc etc ?
PS : I have nothing against American companies, I work for one. I was just stating who would prosper