Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Warning message from MIA  (Read 54099 times)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
Re: Warning message from MIA
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
Please tell us who told you how much it costs to move school science labs Miss Marple.
The gentleman on the panel at wednesday's extraordinary area committee, who had extensive experience refurbishing science labs answered this pretty succinctly.  When SMBC upload the video on their site shortly, you'll be able to view the exchange Tricky, if you didn't manage to make it on wednesday.

And let's bear in mind that those science labs haven't been refurbished properly for years. Moving them to Buxton Lane and refurbishing, will probably cost about the same as refurbishing at Hibbert Lane.

To quote Tricky, please tell us who told you how much it costs to move+refurbish compared to refurbish Chicken Lady.  ???

But this time if we are going to quote Tricky i think we should underline the word school in "school science labs".

I wasn't aware that CAMSFC were on a par with ICI for their science facilities - as this is the inference from the reporting of the quote. Its almost like saying that the cost of a house driveway must be the same as a motorway, as they are both roads used by cars.

My old science lab at school was nothing more than a few desks with sinks in them and a lot of shelves with odd coloured chemicals in bottles on them. Hardly cutting edge.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

NeilCorrie

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
Please tell us who told you how much it costs to move school science labs Miss Marple.
The gentleman on the panel at wednesday's extraordinary area committee, who had extensive experience refurbishing science labs answered this pretty succinctly.  When SMBC upload the video on their site shortly, you'll be able to view the exchange Tricky, if you didn't manage to make it on wednesday.

And let's bear in mind that those science labs haven't been refurbished properly for years. Moving them to Buxton Lane and refurbishing, will probably cost about the same as refurbishing at Hibbert Lane.

To quote Tricky, please tell us who told you how much it costs to move+refurbish compared to refurbish Chicken Lady.  ???

chicken lady

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 07:41:06 PM »
The gentleman on the panel at wednesday's extraordinary area committee, who had extensive experience refurbishing science labs answered this pretty succinctly.  When SMBC upload the video on their site shortly, you'll be able to view the exchange Tricky, if you didn't manage to make it on wednesday.

NeilCorrie

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

Tricky

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »
But had the College attended, and been prepared to fully answer questions to the best of their ability, what could we have found out? All the College is doing is selling the land, any future development on the land, and therefore any planning applications, are the responsibility of the new landowners. So what information could the College have given us? What questions could they have answered?

The way I see it, probably the only question they would be in a position to answer, would be who is the likely new owner. And even then, despite it being an open secret that Asda are the preferred bidders, they are probably bounded by a confidentiality agreement that means they wouldn't have been able to confirm it.
   They are not bound to secrecy regarding their future plans, assurances that 12million will cover relocating all the facilities such as the laboratories and the like down to Buxton Lane.  I have been informed that to move science labs is very expensive and Andrew Bispham at the meeting on Wed confirmed that, in a previous job he worked at ICI and was involved in that type of work.   It's oh so very convenient for CAMSFC to keep harping on about confidentiality, oh yes and if it hadn't have been for one of their employers we still wouldn't know what was happening !

Dave

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
Marplexile sums it up very well. Re belly's point about the college'sitting back and letting the supermarket do all the running' I'm not sure they'll be so relaxed. We can assume that any supermarket offer for the site will be conditional on them getting planning consent. The longer an appeals process drags on, the longer the college will have to twiddle its thumbs wondering how much money (if any) it's going to have to spend round the corner at Buxton Lane. 

amazon

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
But had the College attended, and been prepared to fully answer questions to the best of their ability, what could we have found out? All the College is doing is selling the land, any future development on the land, and therefore any planning applications, are the responsibility of the new landowners. So what information could the College have given us? What questions could they have answered?

The way I see it, probably the only question they would be in a position to answer, would be who is the likely new owner. And even then, despite it being an open secret that Asda are the preferred bidders, they are probably bounded by a confidentiality agreement that means they wouldn't have been able to confirm it.

I gather the college have plans concerning some £12m about to be spent on their Buxton Lane site in Marple.  Would have been civil for them to impart that information.

Instead, I think it's pretty fair to say this has been a public relations disaster for the college, so far.

Totally agree, PR nightmare, although this was never going to go down well with the residents of Marple, and there's little that they could have done which would have resulted in better PR, merely different bad PR.

You're right, it would be nice if they could tell us about their plans for Buxton Lane (although it's irrelevant to the point in hand, a supermarket on Hibbert Lane), but they probably don't have particularly firm plans about what the redevelopment will look like, because until the land is sold, they don't know how much money they'll be getting.

I'm not defending the College particularly, it's just that in this instance they are in a no win situation. They've been slated for not turning up, but had they turned up, their answers to almost all questions would have been either "we don't know" or "there's a confidentiality agreement which means we can't tell you", which would have led to them getting slated for turning up and wasting everyone time.

going to get boring this if it goes on for eighteen months even longer . [some of use will have poped us clogs by then ] a well back to the empty coop shelves tomorrow .

marpleexile

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »

I gather the college have plans concerning some £12m about to be spent on their Buxton Lane site in Marple.  Would have been civil for them to impart that information.

Instead, I think it's pretty fair to say this has been a public relations disaster for the college, so far.

Totally agree, PR nightmare, although this was never going to go down well with the residents of Marple, and there's little that they could have done which would have resulted in better PR, merely different bad PR.

You're right, it would be nice if they could tell us about their plans for Buxton Lane (although it's irrelevant to the point in hand, a supermarket on Hibbert Lane), but they probably don't have particularly firm plans about what the redevelopment will look like, because until the land is sold, they don't know how much money they'll be getting.

I'm not defending the College particularly, it's just that in this instance they are in a no win situation. They've been slated for not turning up, but had they turned up, their answers to almost all questions would have been either "we don't know" or "there's a confidentiality agreement which means we can't tell you", which would have led to them getting slated for turning up and wasting everyone's time.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

so what hapens now when will we know if they sell the land .this could go on for years .
It certainly could. My guess is that all that has happened is that the Supermarket operator will have purchased the 'option' to buy the College land should planning be granted for retail. Until the planning is resolved one way or the other (and if goes to appeal that won't likely be for 18 months minimum) nothing  really will change. Under the option, I suspect the college will sit back and let the supermarket do all the running - as it won't be the Colleges planning application.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

NeilCorrie

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »

amazon

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »

so what hapens now when will we know if they sell the land .this could go on for years .

marpleexile

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »

sooty2

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
Dave,The meeting at the college was supposed to include Ms Cassidy and the governors.They kept people waiting after the invite,then declined on the 10th Oct.The venue already booked,peoples work hours rescheduled and the councillors attendance would of been a complete waste of time if it was cancelled.Every body knows we can't get answers about the plans as they have not been submitted.Nothing has changed,so some of the questions that concern the public are still unanswered due to the colleges refusal to attend.Lots of people were informed of this by word of mouth and made their own decision as to attend or not.Looking at the large number of people at the meeting it was better that some people chose not to attend as they would not of got in. But you know all this Dave don't you?

Dave

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
is that why you didn't attend the meeting ?  
No, I didn't attend last Wednesday's meeting because I was doing something else.  But even if I had been free I wouldn't have wasted my time, because the meeting, in your own words Miss M, was held in order to:
ask our elected members, SMBC planning officers  and hopefully Ms Cassidy questions about the  proposal to build a supermarket in the middle of a residential area. 
There was no point in asking those questions at the moment, because there will be no concrete answers until the planning application is submitted. And sure enough, it seems to have been a complete waste of everyone's time: 
The whole point of the meeting was for the planning department to inform you there has been no planning applications made and what the process was once it is. The meeting took nearly 2 hours in which to be honest could of been wrapped up in an hour! You all asked the same questions.