Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Warning message from MIA  (Read 54105 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Warning message from MIA
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
hmmm.. my point was and remains.. just because you build a lovely new shiny building it does not necessarily improve the teaching, the reputation, the quality or the ethos of the college!

Aquinas built its excellent reputation when still in the old tatty cold buildings! This is the first year where I know several parents, and kids, have come out of the open evenings uncomfortable with what they've seen.

Again Poynton has a very good reputation even though its tatty old school!
Marple Hall does very well and produces excellent results.. again its one of if not the least hi tech and more old fashioned, less updated schools in Stockport!

I may well have sent my son to Marple dependant on previous results, however there is no clear plan by the college on 1. Timescale, 2. how they are going to rehouse the kids that would normally be in the Hibbert lane site , in particular the science subjects. I don't want his education disrupted in any way. Thats my short term decision for my son!

However, I have 3 more after him and when their time comes it will depend purely on results and reputation and how the teachers interact with my children and myself.  Any pretty buildings will make little difference to our decision!

Miss Marple

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
Well at least I give some of you something to read and entertain you that's my main aim and you all bite the bait  lol omg lol  ;D

Henry_

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2011, 08:57:48 AM »
We should all be thankful that MIA were not in existence when Samuel Oldknow arrived. I'm sure they would have tried to prevent him from building his mill, mines, houses for his workers and new roads. In fact, everything that helped Marple to prosper.

Great post.

Harry

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »
We should all be thankful that MIA were not in existence when Samuel Oldknow arrived. I'm sure they would have tried to prevent him from building his mill, mines, houses for his workers and new roads. In fact, everything that helped Marple to prosper.

chicken lady

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »
I think so Dave, it's getting a bit like The League of Gentlemen!  8)

Dave

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:08 AM »
MIA is the community !

Is it just me, or is this a bit creepy?   :-\

Miss Marple

« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
Very interesting information on SMBC web site  ::)

thebigshed

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:10 PM »
An interesting exchange. It makes you think: if MIA get their way, and there is no improvement of post-16 educational provision in Marple, then no doubt more and more of us will send our kids to Aquinas, or Poynton, or wherever. So not only will many (most?) of us be shopping outside Marple, but we'll be educating our kids elsewhere as well. And all this in a town with a population of 23,000. Thanks, MIA... :-(

Thanks Dave, This comment has done more to sway my opinion towards the yes camp than anything I have read so far. With one son at CAMSFC and the other probably going in two years I think it is extremely important to be able to deliver their education from within the community and not have to send them outside of Marple.

Dave

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
An interesting exchange. It makes you think: if MIA get their way, and there is no improvement of post-16 educational provision in Marple, then no doubt more and more of us will send our kids to Aquinas, or Poynton, or wherever. So not only will many (most?) of us be shopping outside Marple, but we'll be educating our kids elsewhere as well. And all this in a town with a population of 23,000. Thanks, MIA... :-(

Marplemum

« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
I couldn't agree more ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
Thank you I'm glad you recognise that
I am a very understanding person  ;)

Marplemum

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
Thank you I'm glad you recognise that

Miss Marple

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2011, 09:41:06 PM »
Two of my children went to Aquinas and I (and much more importantly, they) were very happy there and did extremely well.    However my comment was not intended to be a discussion on the merits of Aquinas versus CAMSFC versus Poynton.  The main point I was making was that it is our future children's education we should consider and not just think short term which is why I am fully supportive of the bid to sell the site and improve Buxton Lane. (I also think Aquinas has more than just sparkly lights ;))
.  Well given you are armed with all the information regarding both the sites and have researched all the information, ie size of development , no loss of curriculum at Buxton Lane, assured and comfortable with possible increased noise, light and general pollution researched impact of traffic congestion and feel you investigated and are full informed of the safety of all children's safety with increased traffic  I fully understand your informed support of the development of Buxton Lane and the sale of Hibbert Lane and feel that you have a valid point .

Marplemum

« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
Two of my children went to Aquinas and I (and much more importantly, they) were very happy there and did extremely well.    However my comment was not intended to be a discussion on the merits of Aquinas versus CAMSFC versus Poynton.  The main point I was making was that it is our future children's education we should consider and not just think short term which is why I am fully supportive of the bid to sell the site and improve Buxton Lane. (I also think Aquinas has more than just sparkly lights ;))

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
The point I was making is I have seen Aquinas.... I was NOT impressed. to add more detail to my reasons this was because I was not impressed with either the way the teachers talked to the kids, or in fact the parents, and the deciding factor for not going to Aquinas was the fact they couldn't accommodate kids that have already done their AS levels.  The facilities I have to say were very pretty.. lovely lights on the pathways outside! All very nice and shiny and grown up! I was more impressed with the tatty old facilities at Poynton!

The over all point I was making is that hi tech does not necessarily add up to top notch!!