A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Review of Parking Policy in Marple  (Read 3307 times)

chicky

Re: Review of Parking Policy in Marple
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:09 PM »
I will avoid paying car parking charge of 30p if it is just a case of stopping for 5 minutes.  It means that if you just want one item of food etc that it is straight away 30p more.  I will just stop at Rose Hill Spar where I can nip in and get same item at a decent price and friendly service.  Why should I pay 30p to the greedy council?  I reckon I pay enough to them already through my council tax and looking at some of the council officers expenses i object!!!   Maybe it sounds tight but all thses 30p's add up ;)

ringi

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
Currently its only 30p to park in Marple, so no big deal. And the council have already said that they are not intending to increase the parking charges.

It is a big deal, if I am driving past Marple center and need to buy milk, I will not stop as the parking takes to look including finding the change.   I can get my milk from Rose Hill that I also will be passing.

(Anything that a customer has to think about before spending money in a given shop is a big deal to that shop)

Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »
Currently its only 30p to park in Marple, so no big deal. And the council have already said that they are not intending to increase the parking charges.

I was in Chorlton yesterday and it cost me £1 to park. Perhaps people should be grateful that its so cheap in Marple.

Did they say this? I'd be pleasantly surprised if that's the case.

They did indeed say this.  At a meeting of the Marple Business Forum where a SMBC representative discussed the ongoing review it was stated that while they will not allow a decrease in Car Parking revenue, they are not looking to increase it either.

Your links are no longer valid and I noticed the consultation period is over. It appears that consultation has been extended and he links moved to here:

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/transport/parking/draftparkingstrategy?view=Standard  The direct link to the questionnaire is  http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/contents/surveys/car_parking_strategy/car_parking_strategy.htm 

It appears that you are right in that hte 30p will remain so but longer term parking is increased to a prohibitive level.

I've suggested via our busiess group that free-parking be offered wheree local businesses get involved in the upkeep of the car-park.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 03:20:28 PM »

I was in Chorlton yesterday and it cost me £1 to park. Perhaps people should be grateful that its so cheap in Marple.

They did indeed say this.  At a meeting of the Marple Business Forum where a SMBC representative discussed the ongoing review it was stated that while they will not allow a decrease in Car Parking revenue, they are not looking to increase it either.

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »

Harry

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:50 AM »

Razzle

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »
Any chance of trying to get free parking in Marple.  This might encourage more people to shop in Marple. :)

I am sure that the council can't receive a lot of revenue from the car parks in Marple - I know that the one behind Iceland is never full. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
For those interested, there is now more information on the review available on the Marple Business Forum website:

http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/latest-news/129-review-of-parking-policy.html

Be very aggressive on this one, the council will try & destroy retail with their greed to keep their cushy jobs going. It's a disgrace

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:09 AM »
For those interested, there is now more information on the review available on the Marple Business Forum website:

http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/latest-news/129-review-of-parking-policy.html

ringi

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
This is as much an issue for keeping small local shops open as any other…

E.g the hassle of having to pay for parking, or not being able to find a parking space with ease, is enough to make me turn to the “web” when I need a new ink carriage.  (Unless I have planned so badly as to need one the same day…)

Also, I never understand why shop owners/staff will part near there shop making it harder for customers to shop there.

Marple Business Forum

Review of Parking Policy in Marple
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »
SMBC are currently reviewing their policy for parking in Stockport and all the District Centres (including Marple).

The Draft Parking Policy can be seen here: http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/transportstreets/trafficservices/transportpolicy/draftparkingstrategy?view=Standard.  There's quite a bit to wade through - but nows the chance to influence parking policy and raise any concerns you might have.

There is one main criteria that has been made clear to the MBF - SMBC have to maintain current levels of income from the car parks.  They are not looking to increase revenue but will not allow a drop either.

There is a questionnaire on the above page that can be completed online for you to express your views on the policy and current parking provisions.

The consultation period on the draft policy runs until 8th November 2011.

Written responses to the consultation should be sent to: Engineering Services, Floor 1, Fred Perry House, Stockport, SK1 3XE or by e-mail to transportation@stockport.gov.uk.