Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: The Marple Website  (Read 11509 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »
I get onto the forum via the MIA web page which is very informative not sure how anyone else gets on the forum ?

Most people probably get onto the web site the same way they did before MiA existed. It has been around for more than 12 years after all.

I must admit that I'm getting rather weary of the bickering, back-biting and sniping that is going on from both sides of the fence on the supermarket argument. The manners of many of you are deteriorating quite noticeably and I believe that it is putting people off making a contribution and even posting about other unrelated topics. I'm not sure exactly what I can do about this but I guess I'm going to have to think of something if you can't all start being polite to each other voluntarily.

So please, lets all try to calm down a little bit, stop deliberately winding each other up, stop taking offense at the drop of a hat and simply air your views politely on the supermarket situation or any other local issues.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 01:31:37 PM »
I get onto the forum via the MIA web page which is very informative not sure how anyone else gets on the forum ?

mikeinfrance

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
I think that you have answered the original question very well indeed. That you are pro no. As I now presume Is the website.

Come on Mike, lighten up a bit.  We all know that Mark is 'pro-no', and he is just as entitled to his opinion as you, me and everyone else.  But Mark is not the website.  Look at the current home page - in the 'recent additions' down the middle of the page, MIA is not even mentioned.  The only link to it is a button on the left, just above the 10k trail run.  I don't take that as showing undue bias on the part of the website. 

True dave it was that page that made me post in the first place!

Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
I think that you have answered the original question very well indeed. That you are pro no. As I now presume Is the website.

Come on Mike, lighten up a bit.  We all know that Mark is 'pro-no', and he is just as entitled to his opinion as you, me and everyone else.  But Mark is not the website.  Look at the current home page - in the 'recent additions' down the middle of the page, MIA is not even mentioned.  The only link to it is a button on the left, just above the 10k trail run.  I don't take that as showing undue bias on the part of the website. 

mikeinfrance

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »
Here we go again eh! Go out for Sunday lunch and a couple of beers, wake, up, watch a bit of country file and then xfactor on a Sunday night and all hell breaks loose. Those of you who are getting impatient with me for not moderating this quickly enough, please read my instructions on reporting posts that are offensive etc here:

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3741.0

Dear Mike, I’m very sorry that I haven’t answered your inquiry quite as quickly as you would like and I’m very disappointed to read many of the posts in this thread that appear to be attacking me personally or just insulting each other. When I’ve finished this reply I’m going to remove a lot of them.

I think I have always been quite clear that I am personally against a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane. I am against it because I believe that it will damage the community that we live in and I think it has the potential to destroy much that is good about Marple, including the local shops and the community spirit that creates things like the fantastic festival that we have running at the moment. I might be wrong but I’m not prepared to take the risk of waiting to see if it happens or not because if it does it will be too bloody late to do anything about it. So I would rather eliminate the risk by stopping it in its tracks if at all possible. It is also my opinion also that another supermarket in the town centre would be good for Marple and would give the Co-Op the competition and the kick up the backside that it desperately needs.  

I therefore support Marple in Action by providing their web site free of charge. I am also responsible for setting up the on-line petitions and facebook page amongst other things. So I am not seemingly biased. I am VERY biased.

Despite that I believe I have moderated this forum very impartially and have accepted with good grace posts that are totally opposed to my own views. I have also made a big effort to accommodate the Yes Campaign here and you will find that most of the posts I have removed are Pro-No. I note that one or two have leapt to my defence on this and I thank you for that.

In reply to Tina’s comments, this section of the forum is not run by MiA. The MiA web site and the MiA facebook page are run by MiA. There is also a thread in this section that repeat the MiA “News” as published on their web site. The whole forum, including this section of it, is moderated by me. The comments made by Miss Marple / Paula on the Yes FB page today that have since been removed were incorrect.

As far as I am concerned this forum IS a soapbox for local opinion and the only things that get removed or overwritten are those that are rude, aggressive or offensive, which seems to be on the increase. I am now going to remove all the posts from this topic that I consider to fall into those categories, or are completely off topic.

Morning Morning.

Mark I would like to say that you do a grand job on hear as the moderator, I think that you have answered the original question very well indeed. That you are pro no. As I now presume Is the website.

HANG ON THAT IS MY QUESTION ANSWERD In an open and honest manner without trying to lead anyone down the garden path or use smoke and mirrors to distract so thank you.

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »
I believe I have moderated this forum very impartially and have accepted with good grace posts that are totally opposed to my own views.

Agreed, and I believe that is widely recognised and appreciated.   :)
Yes I have to second that ! Well done !

Miss Marple

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
Well I think a lot of what I have just read on this post before it was removed needs reporting and should be to the police, it is not good enough to just turn a blind eye to blatant threatening behaviour and references to racial abuse.
  This is my opinion as Miss MARPLE and not MIA and once again I feel I need to reiterate that this is a public forum so MIA are not responsible for the posts that are abusive. 

tina

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
In reply to Tina’s comments, this section of the forum is not run by MiA. The MiA web site and the MiA facebook page are run by MiA. There is also a thread in this section that repeat the MiA “News” as published on their web site. The whole forum, including this section of it, is moderated by me. The comments made by Miss Marple / Paula on the Yes FB page today that have since been removed were incorrect.

As far as I am concerned this forum IS a soapbox for local opinion and the only things that get removed or overwritten are those that are rude, aggressive or offensive, which seems to be on the increase. I am now going to remove all the posts from this topic that I consider to fall into those categories, or are completely off topic.

Thank you Mark for clearing that up. Paula told the yes page today that the subject on the supermarket was part of MIA. I tried to correct her by telling her it was the Marple website and not MIA but as always she shouts you down. So thank you Mark I apreaciate your time on getting back to me on that.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I believe I have moderated this forum very impartially and have accepted with good grace posts that are totally opposed to my own views.

Agreed, and I believe that is widely recognised and appreciated.   :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:09:03 PM »
Here we go again eh! Go out for Sunday lunch and a couple of beers, wake, up, watch a bit of country file and then xfactor on a Sunday night and all hell breaks loose. Those of you who are getting impatient with me for not moderating this quickly enough, please read my instructions on reporting posts that are offensive etc here:

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3741.0

Dear Mike, I’m very sorry that I haven’t answered your inquiry quite as quickly as you would like and I’m very disappointed to read many of the posts in this thread that appear to be attacking me personally or just insulting each other. When I’ve finished this reply I’m going to remove a lot of them.

I think I have always been quite clear that I am personally against a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane. I am against it because I believe that it will damage the community that we live in and I think it has the potential to destroy much that is good about Marple, including the local shops and the community spirit that creates things like the fantastic festival that we have running at the moment. I might be wrong but I’m not prepared to take the risk of waiting to see if it happens or not because if it does it will be too bloody late to do anything about it. So I would rather eliminate the risk by stopping it in its tracks if at all possible. It is also my opinion also that another supermarket in the town centre would be good for Marple and would give the Co-Op the competition and the kick up the backside that it desperately needs.  

I therefore support Marple in Action by providing their web site free of charge. I am also responsible for setting up the on-line petitions and facebook page amongst other things. So I am not seemingly biased. I am VERY biased.

Despite that I believe I have moderated this forum very impartially and have accepted with good grace posts that are totally opposed to my own views. I have also made a big effort to accommodate the Yes Campaign here and you will find that most of the posts I have removed are Pro-No. I note that one or two have leapt to my defence on this and I thank you for that.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Smithy166

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »
I should point out that mark kindly donates the webspace to MIA free of charge. He is also "entitled to his opinion", as is everyone else.
From what i've seen from his posts, he does offer his assistance to both sides (like the time when some people from the YES team flagged some posts that they felt were inappropriate)
On the topic of english and the college, from what i've seen most of the written subjects (history, geography/geology, business studies etc) are tought on Buxton lane as it is, although media is generally handled on hibbert lane, along with sciences (physics, biology, electronics, chemistry).  
MIA are also conducting there campagin because they feel pashionalty about it, the money they recieve is donated to them by the general public, but is handled by the marple civic society - I'm sure theres some sort of "dodgy" legallity issue here, but i'm not a lawyer.
Can I suggest that you filter out the names, just to save any trouble.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
This is a very interesting point from mikeinfrance.  However, the important thing is that Mark has, in effect, declared his interest by being completely open in his support for MIA.  I have no doubt that if a 'yes' campaign group were to become as organised as MIA are, the website would give it equal publicity.  And admin's refereeing of the forum debates on this contentious issue has invariably been even-handed.

More of an issue, for me, is the channelling of donations to MIA via the supposedly independent charity the Marple Civic Society.  I wonder what the Charity Commission would make of that.....     :o

Belly

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
I personally think that the Marple website is the perfect place for debate on this subject. Its accessible to all and IMHO is not biased in the way it is moderated.

If it is visited more by those with a 'no' point of view then so be it. That may be reflective of the local community, it may not, but I don't see any official steering of the debate to the no point of view going on here.

And that's from someone who is currently resolutely sitting on the fence on this matter!

mikeinfrance

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »
Thank you Tina, I feel that this is not the place for shouting down, There are a lot of people on hear that do want to do that,  in fact I am a little surprised that it has been a few hours now and nobody has had a little go.  ;)
It wold be nice to find out from the admin of the website as to what the official stance is of the web site as to whether it is officially  pro no site, Or are we going to see a change?

tina

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
I think you have a valid point Mikein france. I said the very same this morning on the yes facebook page. I was told that the section on the supermarket is run by the MIA. as the MIA webpage directs people to the forum via a link. But my argument is that if you don't go via the link it is in the local community page sale of Hibbert lane campus to supermarket chain. No mention that it is MIA. I have used the Marple website for many years and feel let down that it is very biased towards MIA if you disagree with MIA you get slated insulted and made to feel that your opinion does not count. Afterall the Marple website is for the community but the community can not speak unless you follow MIA. In my opinion MIA need their own forum and this section removing from the Marple website.