Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Make room for cyclists  (Read 7024 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Make room for cyclists (and horses)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
I do have concerns tho when horse riders are on our highways, un-taxed, uninsured and "in charge" of large unpredictable animals...........

Don't get me started on that - Howard or Lisa will have to moderate me!

I returned from a canoe trip on the canal last year to my car parked near Top Lock to find that the drivers door panel was stoved in. A passerby had kindly left a note explaining that they had witnessed a girl on a horse walk right into my car then carry on without stopping. Unfortunately the witness left no contact details and I was unable to track the offender down. As you can imagine I was not impressed with horse riders that day!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

jimblob

Re: Make room for cyclists
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
Havn't encountered any such problem, they always seem polite and prepared to move when on MWW. I do have concerns tho when horse riders are on our highways, un-taxed, uninsured and "in charge" of large unpredictable animals holding up the traffic.

jogger

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
Please don't get me started about horse riders on the MWW.

They think the" All users side of the MWW" is solely for them to ride side by side and then become rude and obnoxious when you ask them to more over for to pass.

jimblob

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
It's about time cyclists had to take driving tests and pay road fund licence, she sa' darkly.

like horse riders do!...not to mention the cleanup of horse manure when I try and cycle or run along middlewood way.

Disgusted of Marple

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:18 PM »
I will pass a red light when its safe to do so but only mount the pavement when forced to do so by cars.

Are there any other parts of the highway code which are likely to be ignored by cyclists? One-way streets, perhaps? Should those bloody-minded drivers be on the lookout for oncoming bikes when driving past the Hatters?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:38:09 AM »
It's about time cyclists had to take driving tests and pay road fund licence, she sa' darkly.

It might make them realise that they don't own the road and that they need to treat other road users as courteously as they themselves expect to be treated.

(And I speak as a car driver, a horse rider and a pedestrian - on various occasions having been cut up, nearly un-horsed and narrowly avoided being mown down ON THE PAVEMENT, I know from whence I speak!)

mikeinfrance

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
The recent return to school and build up of traffic has just highlighted the lack of awareness / sheer bloodymindedness amongst some drivers

I find its the drivers that are to busy playing with there mobile phones as they come down dann bank. That are a major cause of problem for me, That and car drivers blocking my path, A attitude of if I can go anyware then why should you? Only a little frustrating!

Duke Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:24:18 AM »
Also, cyclists travel much faster than pedestrians. Please make room for them to pass when the traffic lights are on red and they suddenly mount the pavement, turn left, and then return to the road. It will help keep their paintwork unscratched and your legs undamaged as well as protecting the image of cyclists as innocent victims.

I will pass a red light when its safe to do so but only mount the pavement when forced to do so by cars.

Most cyclists are drivers too and able to apply good manners when behind the wheel.

The recent return to school and build up of traffic has just highlighted the lack of awareness / sheer bloody-minededness amongst some drivers

Disgusted of Marple

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
Also, cyclists travel much faster than pedestrians. Please make room for them to pass when the traffic lights are on red and they suddenly mount the pavement, turn left, and then return to the road. It will help keep their paintwork unscratched and your legs undamaged as well as protecting the image of cyclists as innocent victims.

alison

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
I always try to be aware of and considerate of cyclists, but could you do us car drivers a favour as well and try not to undertake when we are signalling and turning left. And maybe if you could all have lights on your bikes please, nice bright ones, that would be great.

Thanks ever so

Alison  :)

Duke Fame

Make room for cyclists
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
In the rush hour, us cyclists often travel much faster than the cars. Please make room for them to pass, it will help keep your paintwork unscratched, keep our legs undaamaged and we'll not have to take you to court for compensation as you cut us up and put us into the kerb.