A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Fairthwaite, Marple  (Read 2686 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Fairthwaite, Marple
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:43:21 AM »
The date seems confusing !

Rowland Basil Sexton, a University student, was living at 'Fairthwaite' on Winnington Road in 1952 with Cedric Rawlinson Sexton and Alwyne Sexton.
He would have been in his early 20s in 1952 so could have had the letter sent to him when he was a child. It used to be the thing to send letters on significant occasions as a cheap souvenir of the event, especially to children. He may have been a young stamp collector.

tonyjones

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »
As part of a local history research project I have been looking at a number of old deeds. The name Fairthwaite appears on one dated 1952 but its precise location within the plot of land is not identified.  A later deed dated 1971 does not mention Fairthwaite as one of the houses on the plot of land.  I can only assume it had been renamed, not an unusual occurance.

marveld

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »
Looks like Basil passed away a couple of years ago aged 87. It must be him as the full name matches Tony's info and he is also marked as having a degree in architecture. 87 - not a bad innings!

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/announcements/deaths/obituaries/8617475.SEXTON_ROWLAND_BASIL_DFC/

marveld

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
Following on from Tony's post, I took a walk down Winnington Road today looking for a house named 'Fairthwaite'. It's possible I may have missed it, but I didn't want to go snooping up to front doors to see small name plaques! However, I did check all the obvious stone gate posts and other larger names on the older houses, but no luck. A bit disappointing really. Some of the older properties no longer have the original gate posts, so it's possible the name has now been removed. I have a map of Marple from 1922 and Winnington Road is named, so IF this house was on Winnington Road in 1937 the address was certainly incomplete.

Any more info appreciated!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
Basil Sexton can be found on the Virtual Tour in photos from 1979. He looks (ballpark) 50 years old in these, which would make him roughly 8 in 1937, 23 in 1952 and early 80s now, if he is still alive.

That seems to stack up to me. Seems reasonable that someone would send an 8 year old boy a first day cover if he was interested in stamps.

The Civic Society are contacting their older members but it sounds like Tony has narrowed the search to Winnington Road.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tonyjones

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
The date seems confusing !

Rowland Basil Sexton, a University student, was living at 'Fairthwaite' on Winnington Road in 1952 with Cedric Rawlinson Sexton and Alwyne Sexton.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »
I think it will be the same person - I will PM the Civic Society - they should know.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marveld

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »
 ... just found this on the web:

http://www.marplecivicsociety.org.uk/Possett%20Bridge%20History%20_updated_.pdf

It contains the text: The Queen meets Civic Society members Mrs Margaret L Thomas, Secretary, Mr M R H Austen, Vice Chairman, and Messrs. N C Cook and R B Sexton, both architects who advised on the Possett Bridge project.

Could this be the same R B Sexton?

marveld

Fairthwaite, Marple
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
This letter has come up on ebay - 1937 First Day Cover of the Coronation. There is no road on the address hinting that "Fairthwaite" might be an impressive residence in Marple. Does anyone know of a house with this name?

[attachment deleted by admin]