Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Hazel Grove constituency - proposed boundary changes  (Read 3642 times)

Dave

Re: Hazel Grove constituency - proposed boundary changes
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
No-one knows whether the economy will recover by 2015, and to some extent that is now a worldwide issue which is out of any single national government's hands.  But history tells us that a) people have short memories, and b), 'it's the economy, stupid', is generally what is in our minds when we put a cross on the ballot paper with the little stubby pencil.  If by 2015 the UK economy is still in the dire state it is in today, many people will blame the government, whether or not that is justified.

Trouble is, the government this time is both the Tories and the Libdems. So discontented voters will have to find another party to vote for.  And by then, 2010 will seem like a long time ago, and Gordon Brown will be a distant memory.

But don't worry Dukey - you won't be feeling dirty any time soon: the risk of you being represented by a Labour MP    :o     is close to zero.   ;D

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »
It seems unlikely at the moment.  I don't know anything about the politics of Poynton.  There's no reason to suppose they are so very different from those of Hazel Grove or Marple, although they are currently in the Macclesfield constituency, which is a safe Tory seat.   

My prediction, for what it's worth, is that our current MP will lose a lot of votes to Labour at the next election.  But the effect of that could very well be to split the anti-Tory vote more equally, and let the Tory candidate in. 

Why would stunnel lose votes to Labour? I think that most bright folk can read how the last govt was such a shambles and the same lunatics are still in charge of that asylum despite the Scottish pm gone.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
It seems unlikely at the moment.  I don't know anything about the politics of Poynton.  There's no reason to suppose they are so very different from those of Hazel Grove or Marple, although they are currently in the Macclesfield constituency, which is a safe Tory seat.   

My prediction, for what it's worth, is that our current MP will lose a lot of votes to Labour at the next election.  But the effect of that could very well be to split the anti-Tory vote more equally, and let the Tory candidate in. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »
There isn't any chance we would end up with a Labour MP is there? I'd feel dirty

Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
Or we could decided to do nothing and call ourselves "Marple Inaction"  8)

;D   

Seriously, Hazel Grove - 15K people? The boundaries must be a bit dodgy cos I've always thought Hazel Grove is huge in terms of the amount of houses there.

I have it on impeccable authority:  http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=5941556&c=SK7+4JQ&d=14&e=46&g=354810&i=1x1003x1006&k=population&o=233&m=0&r=0&s=1316010365875&enc=1&domainId=16&dsFamilyId=75

Henry_

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
The Boundary Commission has just published its proposals for revising the boundaries of the UK parliamentary constituencies, to make them all roughly equal in population.

The proposals for our constituency are interesting, and you can see a map of what is proposed here:
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/9995-boundary-commission-proposes-seven-less-seats-in-nw.html

It's a bit odd, in that it combines places which are both inside and outside Greater Manchester.  However, the oddest thing of all is the proposed name: Hazel Grove and Poynton. Think about it: essentially there are three areas in the proposed constituency, of which, as you see on the map, Marple is by far the biggest.  And it' has the biggest population too: Hazel Grove has 15K, Poynton also has 15K, but Marple has 23K.   So wouldn't you think the obvious name would be, er, 'Marple'?   ???

Maybe we should launch a campaign?  We could call it 'Marple in Action'.   ;)   
Or we could decided to do nothing and call ourselves "Marple Inaction"  8)

Seriously, Hazel Grove - 15K people? The boundaries must be a bit dodgy cos I've always thought Hazel Grove is huge in terms of the amount of houses there.

bluebelly

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
we dont have a asda , sainsburys,waitros or m+s. maybe you need one of these before you become policaly important.

Dave

Hazel Grove constituency - proposed boundary changes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:29:42 AM »
The Boundary Commission has just published its proposals for revising the boundaries of the UK parliamentary constituencies, to make them all roughly equal in population.

The proposals for our constituency are interesting, and you can see a map of what is proposed here:
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/9995-boundary-commission-proposes-seven-less-seats-in-nw.html

It's a bit odd, in that it combines places which are both inside and outside Greater Manchester.  However, the oddest thing of all is the proposed name: Hazel Grove and Poynton. Think about it: essentially there are three areas in the proposed constituency, of which, as you see on the map, Marple is by far the biggest.  And it' has the biggest population too: Hazel Grove has 15K, Poynton also has 15K, but Marple has 23K.   So wouldn't you think the obvious name would be, er, 'Marple'?   ???

Maybe we should launch a campaign?  We could call it 'Marple in Action'.   ;)