Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?  (Read 27216 times)

Rachael

Re: How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
Use a price comparrison website, I've been doing the Asda price challenge,  I didnt shop there before often, but I do now, and its saving me quite alot of money on the things I would have bought at other shops ( I dont buy meat from there anyway ) so its my general branded stuff .

Tesco were doing home deliverys for £2.50 a week or so ago .

On the price challenge website, Asda is working out on average about £11.00 per week cheaper than Morrisons, Sainsburys and Tesco on my weekly shop .

So its not going to run into a thousand pounds a year for my family  but its a good few hundred pounds :)

Belle Star

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »
HWL1973 is right in that these 'dictatorship' posts are what is putting people off coming onside with the 'No' campaign and are what made me skeptical in the first place.

It is such a shame that people cannot differentiate between individuals' ideas and opinions on this forum and what MIA and the 'No' campaign are actually doing. Nobody on this forum speaks for MIA unless otherwise stated. There is a thread for MIA latest news which needs to be kept separate from all the debsting going on on all the other threads.

All MIA are trying to say (in my opinion  ;) ) is that they do not want a supermarket, ANY supermarket (not even Waitrose as people keep trying to insinuate) on the Hibbert Lane site as they believe it would be to the detriment of Marple and it's inhabitants. It really is that simple!!! MIA currently speak for the majority (in my opinion - based on the poll elsewhere on this forum and the question on the 'Yes' campaign's own Facebook page) and are simply trying to collect the facts and present them to the public so that they can be more informed when deciding how they feel about this situation.

I do hope that everybody getting involved in all the topics on this forum will be attending the rally on Saturday so that, if they have any questions, they can be answered by Andrew Stunnell or the Councillors and maybe people will start believing that MIA has been open and honest and only wants the best for the people of Marple (or the majority of them).

IN MY OPINION

I didn't mention MIA, purposefully, just in general people saying No.

And I didn't necessarily mean you - I meant the people that you are referring to - they need to distinguish between MIA and individual opinions on here!

JMC

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »
HWL1973 is right in that these 'dictatorship' posts are what is putting people off coming onside with the 'No' campaign and are what made me skeptical in the first place.

It is such a shame that people cannot differentiate between individuals' ideas and opinions on this forum and what MIA and the 'No' campaign are actually doing. Nobody on this forum speaks for MIA unless otherwise stated. There is a thread for MIA latest news which needs to be kept separate from all the debsting going on on all the other threads.

All MIA are trying to say (in my opinion  ;) ) is that they do not want a supermarket, ANY supermarket (not even Waitrose as people keep trying to insinuate) on the Hibbert Lane site as they believe it would be to the detriment of Marple and it's inhabitants. It really is that simple!!! MIA currently speak for the majority (in my opinion - based on the poll elsewhere on this forum and the question on the 'Yes' campaign's own Facebook page) and are simply trying to collect the facts and present them to the public so that they can be more informed when deciding how they feel about this situation.

I do hope that everybody getting involved in all the topics on this forum will be attending the rally on Saturday so that, if they have any questions, they can be answered by Andrew Stunnell or the Councillors and maybe people will start believing that MIA has been open and honest and only wants the best for the people of Marple (or the majority of them).

IN MY OPINION

I didn't mention MIA, purposefully, just in general people saying No.

Howard

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
If they don't want a supermarket, Any supermarket... why do they keep thinking of other possible places a supermarket could be.?

You are mistaken. MIA are NOT saying no supermarket. They are saying no supermarket on THE HIBBERT LANE SITE. If you look closely at the NO posters you will see that.

There are alternatives to the Hibbert Lane site in the current commercial area which the council mentioned in an email already. One of those areas is Chadwick St which the council would support development on BEFORE they looked at development at Hibbert Lane.

Belle Star

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »

All MIA are trying to say (in my opinion  ;) ) is that they do not want a supermarket, ANY supermarket (not even Waitrose as people keep trying to insinuate) on the Hibbert Lane site as they believe it would be to the detriment of Marple and it's inhabitants. It really is that simple!!! MIA currently speak for the majority (in my opinion - based on the poll elsewhere on this forum and the question on the 'Yes' campaign's own Facebook page) and are simply trying to collect the facts and present them to the public so that they can be more informed when deciding how they feel about this situation.

IN MY OPINION

If they don't want a supermarket, Any supermarket... why do they keep thinking of other possible places a supermarket could be.?

You didn't quote me correctly - they don't want any supermarket ON THE HIBBERT LANE SITE.

Under current planning regulations one of the arguments that a potential supermarket could try to use to force the council into granting planning permission is the one of sequentiality - that is, that there is no suitable alternative site within the "district centre" for them to put a supermarket. The council have already mentioned in an email which has been published elsewhere on this site that the land at Chadwick Street could be put forward by the council as a suitable alternative. MIA, to prove the point that it is the location not the idea of a supermarket altogether, have simply highlighted this and others are pushing them to say whether or not they would support it. It is not some notion put about by MIA members, it has come from the council and therefore, if it is within the district centre, and the council supports it, so would MIA.

Smithy166

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
All MIA are trying to say (in my opinion  Wink ) is that they do not want a supermarket, ANY supermarket (not even Waitrose as people keep trying to insinuate) on the Hibbert Lane site
Thats why they keep suggesting alternative locations...

Sareena

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »

All MIA are trying to say (in my opinion  ;) ) is that they do not want a supermarket, ANY supermarket (not even Waitrose as people keep trying to insinuate) on the Hibbert Lane site as they believe it would be to the detriment of Marple and it's inhabitants. It really is that simple!!! MIA currently speak for the majority (in my opinion - based on the poll elsewhere on this forum and the question on the 'Yes' campaign's own Facebook page) and are simply trying to collect the facts and present them to the public so that they can be more informed when deciding how they feel about this situation.

IN MY OPINION

Belle Star

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »

IN MY OPINION

Duke Fame

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »
Ok mr 1973, we are in agreement. Hibbert lane is a big plot, away from the other shops and not really suitable for a supermarket.

It's not suitable for a hypermarket, which is what a Tesco Extra or an Asda Supercentre are. A supermarket would be good there IMHO.

Wrong thread of course but how would you conclude that. Supermarketco are not going to buys plot for £12m and put a shop in that they could have fitted on a £2m plot. Such a move would have all the negatives & still not address the issues aimed at the coop
OK, check out the difference between a supermarket and a hypermarket. A supermarket could still be as big or bigger than the co-op.

I think you are dangerously close to edging into superstore territory.

JMC

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
I totally agree with HWL1973 on this thread. Shock horror, I have made a 'lifestyle choice' to have even more kids than him  ;D I even managed to 'choose' to have more than one at once!! (like other mums of multiples!)

I spend A LOT each week since there are alot of us  ;) and the Co-op just is far more expensive, I have tried many a time and still use it for 'bits'. Iceland is much better but you can only get proccessed stuff on the whole, no allergy free ranges etc. And I am sorry but when you have newborn twins and a toddler you ain't going to be using cloth nappies!!! That is like me telling you not to use your central heating unless it is zero temperatures outside.

HWL1973 is right in that these 'dictatorship' posts are what is putting people off coming onside with the 'No' campaign and are what made me skeptical in the first place. I talk to alot of people in Marple and ask them what they think. They almost always (if on the Yes side) say the Co-op is expensive. It is indeed one of the main reasons people are on the Yes side. Another thing is the savings in time. You simply cannot get round many shops with a double buggy or with 2 or more toddlers going in different directions. It makes me wonder how many of these people have fully grown children. My parents shop in the Co-op but they say they do it out of conveinience as there are only the two of them. No way did they do it when we were at home. Why would all these people make up that it is expensive?

Telling someone it is their fault for having more kids (because they don't shop where you think they should or want a cheaper store) is abit silly. It is true that empathy is lacking from the Yes side, not by everyone (indeed several have admitted another supermarket in a central location would be great)  but by several vocal members. Their just dismissing people's real problems (income/lack of time or transport/bowel/gluten/dairy intolerance etc.) isn't doing their side any favours. I would lean much more toward their side if they admitted that (like some have) that it would indeed be cheaper/easier/better for many people BUT they still feel it is outweighed by the risk to local shops/traffic etc. I feel it is to their detriment also that they (some)  are not showing empathy and just being dictorial or dismissive.

The people saying we should all use the Co-op, do they use all the local shops or do they ever use Amazon or big stores out of town?

Henry_

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
Ok mr 1973, we are in agreement. Hibbert lane is a big plot, away from the other shops and not really suitable for a supermarket.

It's not suitable for a hypermarket, which is what a Tesco Extra or an Asda Supercentre are. A supermarket would be good there IMHO.

Wrong thread of course but how would you conclude that. Supermarketco are not going to buys plot for £12m and put a shop in that they could have fitted on a £2m plot. Such a move would have all the negatives & still not address the issues aimed at the coop
OK, check out the difference between a supermarket and a hypermarket. A supermarket could still be as big or bigger than the co-op.

Duke Fame

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »

Henry_

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »

Henry_

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:11 AM »
Some typical inane drivel from Duke Fame
You will see that the Yes campaign is against a Hypermarket too, but not against something appropriately sized there to compete with the co-op. Only an idiot would argue that we need a Tesco Express or Asda Supercentre in Marple. Indeed I have pledged on facebook to run naked down Market Street if such a thing happens, so may as well repeat this vow here.  8)
The thought of this will help the NO campaign no end  ;D               

On No! I meant a Tesco Extra not Express!! Where's that edit button? Damn you Tesco for your confusing branding  >:(