Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?  (Read 27274 times)

Henry_

How much will you save if a new supermarket comes to Marple?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:46:24 PM »
The issue about the gifted land being sold off is surely a red herring too, if MIA are indeed happy for it to be sold for housing?

And we're not talking about a few pennies being saved on a tin of beans as a reason for being in favour of a supermarket, we are talking about potential savings of £100s or even £1000s of pounds (when taking into account transport costs) for Marple's hard pushed residents.
HWL1973

How many people are going to save thousands of pounds a year by having a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane ?

People who walk & do all their weekly shopping at the Co-op would make a big saving I agree.

But how many people who drive to other stores in the area will suddenly abandon their cars and carry 10 bags of
shopping to the various parts of the Marple Area?

Given that the alternative supermarkets people use are say an average 5 miles away total journey = 10 miles.
If you say it costs 20p a mile for petrol for example that would equate to £2 a journey x 52 = £104.

Based people a weekly shop and not accounting for the many people who do their shopping on the way home
from work. The new supermarket would dramatically increase the traffic around Marple.

Also how many dedicate Tesco Club Card or Sainsbury’s Nectar Card Holders would suddenly switch their
weekly shop to Asda ?

So if you are going to castigate people for quoting people for quoting misleading information you should
do likewise.

I feel personally there are people who would benefit from a new supermarket, but the majority of people
will who would choose to a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane would only save the £2 a week.

I personally would happily forego the £2 a week saving, rather than have the increased traffic and to
stop the detrimental effect it would have on the centre of Marple.

But I suppose it all depends what your priorities are in Life !!!!

I'm not giving misleading information. I am talking about 'potential' savings based on my own experience of shopping for a big family. This is not fact, it's an informed opinion. I'm not dressing any of this up as fact.

I can indeed envisage a large family in Marple saving well over £1000 a year compared to using the co-op. Net traffic effects should also account for the parents of large families being forced to drive out and back again currently, and this would happen a lot less with an adequately sized store in our town.

jethroh65

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
The issue about the gifted land being sold off is surely a red herring too, if MIA are indeed happy for it to be sold for housing?

And we're not talking about a few pennies being saved on a tin of beans as a reason for being in favour of a supermarket, we are talking about potential savings of £100s or even £1000s of pounds (when taking into account transport costs) for Marple's hard pushed residents.
HWL1973

How many people are going to save thousands of pounds a year by having a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane ?

People who walk & do all their weekly shopping at the Co-op would make a big saving I agree.

But how many people who drive to other stores in the area will suddenly abandon their cars and carry 10 bags of
shopping to the various parts of the Marple Area?

Given that the alternative supermarkets people use are say an average 5 miles away total journey = 10 miles.
If you say it costs 20p a mile for petrol for example that would equate to £2 a journey x 52 = £104.

Based people a weekly shop and not accounting for the many people who do their shopping on the way home
from work. The new supermarket would dramatically increase the traffic around Marple.

Also how many dedicate Tesco Club Card or Sainsbury’s Nectar Card Holders would suddenly switch their
weekly shop to Asda ?

So if you are going to castigate people for quoting people for quoting misleading information you should
do likewise.

I feel personally there are people who would benefit from a new supermarket, but the majority of people
will who would choose to a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane would only save the £2 a week.

I personally would happily forego the £2 a week saving, rather than have the increased traffic and to
stop the detrimental effect it would have on the centre of Marple.

But I suppose it all depends what your priorities are in Life !!!!

Henry_

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »