Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: If buying CAMSFC Hibbert Lane for £12m, how big would the supermarket be?  (Read 4722 times)

Maria

Re: If buying CAMSFC Hibbert Lane for £12m, how big would the supermarket be?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Given that a big supermarket could fight any existing covenants / council planning rules, I wonder how big they'll want their Hibbert Lane £12m supermarket to be?

Well, definitely nowhere near as big as this Tesco Extra planned for Pendleton, in the middle of a huge urban area next to Salford Shopping City and a few minutes from MediaCity and Manchester city centre. The money might have gone to a school but you couldn't find a more different comparison to leafy small-town Hibbert Lane if you tried.

I'm thinking more that what we might see in Marple is a mixed use development, with a mid-size supermarket and car park at one end of the site and new housing to bring in an immediate profit on the sale at the other. Win-win for a supermarket chain and a far better option than pure housing to me (which I assume is the alternative Marple In Action want?!).

The college have confirmed they are not selling the land off piecemeal-the same is not attractive to the supermarket chain who wish to buy the whole lot.  This was suggested as an alternative to the college as it would ensure the size of the supermarket would be restricted but was rejected unfortunately.

rsh

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
Given that a big supermarket could fight any existing covenants / council planning rules, I wonder how big they'll want their Hibbert Lane £12m supermarket to be?

Well, definitely nowhere near as big as this Tesco Extra planned for Pendleton, in the middle of a huge urban area next to Salford Shopping City and a few minutes from MediaCity and Manchester city centre. The money might have gone to a school but you couldn't find a more different comparison to leafy small-town Hibbert Lane if you tried.

I'm thinking more that what we might see in Marple is a mixed use development, with a mid-size supermarket and car park at one end of the site and new housing to bring in an immediate profit on the sale at the other. Win-win for a supermarket chain and a far better option than pure housing to me (which I assume is the alternative Marple In Action want?!).

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
Tesco paid Salford council £4m in a secret deal for land on which it is to build a new superstore.

The money was used by the town hall to build a new primary school – but the deal has only now been revealed TWO YEARS after it was done.

Only a handful of council bosses knew of the deal. Leading councillors and officers did not know about the deal, and only found out about it AFTER planning permission for the store was given last month.

The council will receive another £12m from Tesco now that the scheme has been approved. It says that money will also be used for educational facilities in Salford.

Read more: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1370671_revealed_salford_councils_secret_4m_land_deal_for_new_tesco_store
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

If buying CAMSFC Hibbert Lane for £12m, how big would the supermarket be?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
Tesco purchased a site in Salford for £4m, with a later payment of £12m.  In a bit of a dodgy deal with the local council.

This is their artist's impression of the look and size of the 120,000 square foot site.