To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Rebuild of CAMSFC/Rose Hill school  (Read 16895 times)

Northernstar

Re: Rebuild of CAMSFC/Rose Hill school
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
there should be a youth club there

Funny you should say that there is a youth club there but according to CAMSFC it's not used as much as it should be  ???   Which is a shame because SMBC still have control of that and it should be used by the public because we are paying for it out of our community charge.  There is also a sports facility there that is SMBC and I don't suppose that's used much either   Maybe we should all use it more and the youth club could be somewhere that could be taken over by a youth group and the sports facility could be used by football teams etc  

For the football season last year we were unable to use the college as someone had already booked it for the day and time that we had hired it the year before, this year however we have been able to book it, but at a later time.

One of the other clubs this year are going to be using CAMSFC facilities as well as our club, so the sports facilities at CAMSFC are being used by football teams at present, but if we lose the sports facilities, then some more of our club will have to train outside the Marple area as there are not enough facilities as it is. I know that the new Rose Hill School is going to have a pitch and also Astro Turf, but from what we have been told at the club, the Astro Turf is not going to have flood lights, making it unsuitable to use as a training facility in the winter months.

JMC

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »

Funny you should say that there is a youth club there but according to CAMSFC it's not used as much as it should be  ???   Which is a shame because SMBC still have control of that and it should be used by the public because we are paying for it out of our community charge.  There is also a sports facility there that is SMBC and I don't suppose that's used much either   Maybe we should all use it more and the youth club could be somewhere that could be taken over by a youth group and the sports facility could be used by football teams etc  

I know of at least one group who hired the hall for a sports club and had to change in the end as they (think it was the sports trust)  were always leaving the doors locked or turning up late to open it etc. and weren't keen on opening at weekends etc.

Duke Fame

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »

Funny you should say that there is a youth club there but according to CAMSFC it's not used as much as it should be  ???   Which is a shame because SMBC still have control of that and it should be used by the public because we are paying for it out of our community charge.  There is also a sports facility there that is SMBC and I don't suppose that's used much either   Maybe we should all use it more and the youth club could be somewhere that could be taken over by a youth group and the sports facility could be used by football teams etc 

It would be better ran by private organisations

sgk

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
according to CAMSFC it's not used as much as it should be  ??? 

Neil submitted a FOI asking Stockport Sports Trust (the not-for-profit organisation who run it) "Could you also advise what plans the Trust has to ensure that the people of Marple continue to benefit from the much loved sports facilities provided so close to the centre of Marple?" but they were not able to answer that query. 

Thank you for the timely reply. The local MP had cited you as an example of the type of organisation that should be subject to FOI and you have responded to earlier FOI requests.

It's regrettable that you are not able to answer this request and give local people of Stockport your take on this removal of Marple sports facilities.

It's also regrettable that in the very year the UK will be celebrating the London Olympics, it's likely that Marple folk will see bulldozers flattening their sports hall and gym.

I wish the trust all the best in the remainder of Stockport. It's been great having these facilities in Marple.

Kind regards,

Neil Corrie

sgk

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
according to CAMSFC it's not used as much as it should be  ??? 

It's only used for circuit training classes, zumba classes, bum/legs/tums classes, pilates classes, dancercise classes.  And that's just the sessions that are booked out each week.  There's also the individual bookings for badminton, 5-a-side football etc, which I know because I've played there in the past.

The college have use of it the majority of the time, with the community getting it 5pm-10pm each weekday and 9am-5pm weekends, per the covenant agreement which dictated this community use in return for the college getting use of the land.

Stockport Sports Trust : Cheadle & Marple 6th Form College

Smithy166

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »
I seem to remember A youth worker who ran a club at marple hall saying it had closed, Which is interesting....

Miss Marple

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »

Funny you should say that there is a youth club there but according to CAMSFC it's not used as much as it should be  ???   Which is a shame because SMBC still have control of that and it should be used by the public because we are paying for it out of our community charge.  There is also a sports facility there that is SMBC and I don't suppose that's used much either   Maybe we should all use it more and the youth club could be somewhere that could be taken over by a youth group and the sports facility could be used by football teams etc 

NeilCorrie

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
What this points to is the product provided by the college is not good enough rather than a building issue. The sale of the family silver will not provide a platform for improving the college services but rather paper over the shortcomings and poor business sense

Agreed.  It's very regrettable that things are in such a dire state financially that it's necessary to sell a busy and popular site.  One gets the feeling "when it's gone, it's gone forever" : purchasing and developing another site in years to come could be quite a challenge.

Somewhat suprising that the principal has convinced the entire board of governors this "selling the family silver" is the best approach in the interest of college + students.

Governors will have their opportunity to explain this at Saturday's rally in the park.  Each and every one of them has been invited, I'm assured. 

bluebelly

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
What this points to is the product provided by the college is not good enough rather than a building issue. The sale of the family silver will not provide a platform for improving the college services but rather paper over the shortcomings and poor business sense

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
Id love to do evening classes there and i have looked several times over several years... but as HWL1973 says the courses weren't the professional training ones that I was interested in

sgk

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
This all points to either Marple folk not being academic or the college missing out on income. Income which would give the basis to raise funding & also utilise the assets of the College

The latter, I'd say, as a considerable 37% of Marple campus students (555 students of the 1,472 who studied in 2010) hark from SK6.

Info taken from college's own figures

Duke Fame

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
I did some evening classes there a couple of years ago. But the choice was limited to some fairly low end academic stuff and a lot of fun pursuits like wine tasting. Nothing wrong with that per se but there were no accounting or serious IT courses which could have attracted people willing to spend big money.

This all points to either Marple folk not being academic or the college missing out on income. Income which would give the basis to raise funding & also utilise the assets of the College

Henry_

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »
I did some evening classes there a couple of years ago. But the choice was limited to some fairly low end academic stuff and a lot of fun pursuits like wine tasting. Nothing wrong with that per se but there were no accounting or serious IT courses which could have attracted people willing to spend big money.

JMC

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
I agree about the adult education being mostly at Cheadle (or it was a few years ago when i was looking into it). I went to night classes a few years ago but there wasn't alot of choice. It would be a shame to see this go (depending of course on what happens) as many friends on the course needed such qualifications as GCSE Maths/English to get into teaching/nursing etc and many went on to that. Not all of them could drive so being local was great. I also heard that the council (or the people running the sports facilities) were making it difficult for people hiring the Hibbert lane sports hall. Hence some groups such as karate clubs had to move to another facility. I am not sure whether that was just poor running of the facility or anything to do with them wanting rid of it (or maybe even having their own plans) though.