Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
November 28, 2014, 02:24:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: A Man of Insignificance to help Friends of Marple Memorial Park!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Evolution Joinery & Building Work Evolved

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 19951 times)
moorendman

« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:27 PM »

Ah I see, there should be a qualifier on the petition then:

" By signing this petition , you hereby confirm the following:

1. I am in full time employment and not just an idle pensioner using my free bus pass to incite trouble in small towns
2. I am a resident of Marple (not Mellor, High Lane, Strines or Compstall either)
3. I would only ever sign any petitions that relate to exactly the area I live in and no more "

What nonsense

Perhaps the fact that they are coming to Marple tells us something about the quality of life here.

hollins

« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2011, 09:24:34 PM »

I think, Moorendman, that you miss the point - you may believe that it is reasonable that you might interfere in Ashton or Glossop - I don't.

Of course the residents of Mellor, Strines and Compstall shop locally - that is why there are so many shops left in those places.
Tina

« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »

Over-reaction to earlier post overwritten. Subsequent post quoting this one removed. Admin
Mrs O

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:37 PM »

What's been a real eye opener for me whilst collecting signatures in Marple is the amount of elderly people who make full use of their bus passes and come to Marple from Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde Mossley, New Mills and countless other places to shop in our local shops because as most of them say they no longer have independent shops such as ours due to large supermarkets moving into their area.

A bit galling that people who (a) don't live in Marple; (b) have the time to saunter round the small shops at leisure during the day should be signing a petition opposing the wishes of many who DO live in Marple and who work all day, only to come home and find that the only shop open is the Co-op.

I can't imagine interfering with the development of Ashton, Denton, Glossop, Hyde, New Mills etc - their daily life is none of my business. I'm slightly irritated that they should be signing petitions about development in Marple.

The above towns also Blakely,Harperhey,Abbey hey and Salford. Were given in response to market research. I have no idea wether they signed the petition Roll Eyes
Miss Marple

« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »

lol lol   Cheesy. The people who I am speaking about came on a barge and LOVED our local shops.  The others came from Hyde on the bus and Ashton and guess what they Loved our local shops.  Oh I can see I am going to have to stop partying and get home earlier to join in this debate lol !

Personal remarks have been removed from this post. Admin

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
moorendman

« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »

Hollins

perhaps you are right about outsiders not interfering in the affairs of other towns and places. I may be persuaded to adopt this point of view if I saw that others were no longer involving themselves in and making decisions about our "daily life" in Marple. Outsiders such as:

- The Board of Directors of Asda, Tesco or whatever supermarket may be planning to develop Hibbert Lane.
- Walsingham Planning who are working with Stockport MBC and whoever to overcome " planning problems".
- Christina Cassidy and other members of the managment team at the college who don't live in the area.
- Stockport Councillors and officials who don't live in or represent Marple.

Marplenewbie

« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »

Hollins

perhaps you are right about outsiders not interfering in the affairs of other towns and places. I may be persuaded to adopt this point of view if I saw that others were no longer involving themselves in and making decisions about our "daily life" in Marple. Outsiders such as:

- The Board of Directors of Asda, Tesco or whatever supermarket may be planning to develop Hibbert Lane.
- Walsingham Planning who are working with Stockport MBC and whoever to overcome " planning problems".
- Christina Cassidy and other members of the managment team at the college who don't live in the area.

Excellent post, moorendman.
Henry_

« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »

Following big demand (especially from those who loved our old posters so much they took them down to take home with them) here is the Yes campaign's new poster . . .

drumroll . . .

http://www.facebook.com/yesmarple#!/photo.php?fbid=274784275876971&set=a.258207964201269.64152.256280167727382&type=1&theater
Miss Marple

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »

Oh yes that's better and gives a clear message ! 

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Henry_

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »

Thanks, it was especially for you and Belle Star actually! See, we do listen Wink
Henry_

« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:56 PM »

Hollins

- People from Moor End
 Wink
Belle Star

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »

Thanks, it was especially for you and Belle Star actually! See, we do listen Wink

Thank you kindly!  Grin
Osdog

« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »

Funnily I popped over to Hyde last week (my parents live there) and thought to do a bit of shopping whilst out.  The car park in Hyde now charges 50p for half an hour, so there was no time to do anything.  I refused to pay the massive extra amount to add another hour.  So, the option was to park at Morrisons for free - and did the shopping there.  Not a bit Morrison fan, but it did the job.  And it was cheaper than the local shops.  If Stockport put up car park fees, the exact same thing will happen here... 

I'm not particularly in favour of the supermarket here, but I can see what will happen.  Hyde is already deserted......

JMC

« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »

Funnily I popped over to Hyde last week (my parents live there) and thought to do a bit of shopping whilst out.  The car park in Hyde now charges 50p for half an hour, so there was no time to do anything.  I refused to pay the massive extra amount to add another hour.  So, the option was to park at Morrisons for free - and did the shopping there.  Not a bit Morrison fan, but it did the job.  And it was cheaper than the local shops.  If Stockport put up car park fees, the exact same thing will happen here... 

I'm not particularly in favour of the supermarket here, but I can see what will happen.  Hyde is already deserted......

I'm not sure it is possible to stop the decline of local high streets as they are, though. Customers will go where is cheapest if they have a choice (not always but in many cases). Especially in the recession. Also, there is the lack of time with many more mothers back at work, more people with 2 cars per family enabling them to go further afield, internet shopping (this is a huge one) etc.
Osdog

« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »

I confess to being a closet internet shopper.  Sainsbug delivers regularly, and it saves me time and fuel, even with the delivery fee.  Most times they send what I want, and I'll deal with them for everything apart from perishable stuffs.

I like to shop local when I can, but the odd opening hours of some shops makes it hard.  I use Lofthouse Butchers in Compstall, but didn't the other day, as I drove past and they were closed for lunch.  I appreciate they need to have lunch, but it's not easy when I'm on a one trip outing.

There's no easy answer is there ?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite