Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 96789 times)

jethroh65

Re: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »
This house devaluation issue. It puzzles me as it is usually the last resort of a Daily Mail reader. The next logical step would be for someone to argue that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would encourage illegal immigrants  ???

My quandary is this. Many people arguing against a supermarket want affordable housing in Marple instead. If a supermarket delivers this by other means is this not a good thing? Or is it a case of affordable housing being good unless it is my house that is rendered affordable, in which case it is bad?

The truth is actually that house prices are going nowhere (at best) for around 5 years according to most people in the know. Any supermarket in Marple would do very little to change that overall trend. We should of course all be rejoicing at this.
Scenario 1 - You go look at a house on a Sunday, the house is opposite a college which is closed on a Sunday, just occasional passing traffic can be heard. An open view over a empty car park & playing field with a church high up in the Background can be seen from the house.

Scenario 2 - You go to look at a house on a Sunday, when you get close to the house you get stuck in traffic. Upon arrival at the house you realise it is opposite a large Supermarket, next to a busy set of traffic  lights. The view from the house is of a full car park and against the backdrop of Supermarket constructed from Breeze block & Grey cladding.

Which scenario would be the most appealing to a prospective house buyer ?

As they say Location! Location! Location!

Have many who were thinking about buying a house in Marple been put off because there was no Asda or Tesco?

mikeinfrance

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »
From what I understand, the "reduction in house prices" argument is based on comparisions of places that have had a supermarket built (sort of a before and after thing)
I thought the "lul" in house price movement was a nationwide average, not a local issue? Mind you, i'm only a student  :P

Look on the bright side Ben, If the house Price in Marple did go down due to a supermarket,when you start working you MIGHT be able to afford to live in Marple!

mikeinfrance

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »
Post by Mike in France
AND finally we can all go back to our 'Marple' bubble now the nasty man has gone............... SKYGUY  YOU WILL be reading this because you have seen your name, IT seams you have nothing nice to say, now in the words of thumps Mum in Bambi, If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all.

Nasty?? now this is what I call nasty (Time to spam their page )quote from a Yes supporter on Facebook.There is nothing "Nice" to say about the prospect of our town possibly closing down :(
             If the supermarket ever comes there wont be many shops in Marple open anyway the rate they are closing .  . Glossop seems to be doing quite well though .and they have a supermarket  .
[/quote]

No your right spamming it’s not a nice to say, Or to do, But then that is my opinion I DO NOT speak for any other then myself and I.   

When you say about the town becoming a ghost town, the question I ask myself is what shops will really be affected if a supermarket did open up on Hibbert lane or elsewise in Marple? 
I mean let’s be honest for a second, Most people on hear do NOT do their weekly shop in Marple so the shops that we have in the town center are there because people make a point of going to them and not passing trade.  Look at Littlewoods butchers for instance, its very location means it’s a destination shop. (That does some really grate pies!)
In fact with the exception of the pound shop and the charity shop (we do love a bargain!) I can’t think of any shop in market street people just ‘pop in’ just in case they  see something, I might be wrong and feel I might be corrected on this ,but  what I don’t see is the shops that we have there being affected, But then only time will tell. 

Dave

« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
HWL, I don't know about Chapel, but the shops in Glossop, Buxton and Whaley seem to be doing fine. On the other hand, New Mills, which hasn't got a proper supermarket, is really struggling.

Smithy166

« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
Look at the size of the tesco though, its compareable to the Co-op, even the car-parks nearly the same size!
@ HWL1973, its late and i'm going to head to bed, when I get back from college i'll do my best to dig it out :) no promises though.

Henry_

« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
From what I understand, the "reduction in house prices" arguement is based on comparisions of places that have had a supermarket built (sort of a before and after thing)
I'd like to see a link to this study then if possible

Henry_

« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
Interesting link on the 'Latest News' thread.  To save you searching for it, here it is again.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14655986

It's about Oakham in Rutland, a town I happen to know.  The population is about 10,000 (i.e. less than half of our population in Marple).  At first glance, the headline clearly takes an anti-supermarket stance.  But read on........

'Oakham's high street has one of the highest proportion of independent shops in the Midlands....... The small number of empty premises are soon snapped up by new retailers......  There are no boarded up shop windows. There's no need.'

And guess what?  They've had a Tesco for the past ten years!     :o    Hasn't done them much harm has it?    

As I've said before, in a few years time we could well find that having a decent supermarket turns out to be one of the best things that has happened to Marple, and could revitalise the town as  a retail centre.  
Very good post Dave.

A key pillar of the MIA campaign is that a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane would kill the town centre. It is accepted without question, as is seemingly the jingoistic "Save Our Community" slogan that would find a better home on the Simpsons. Everyone at the rally seemed to on message with this too as if there was no question that it would happen.

I asked at the rally, are Glossop, Buxton, Whaley Bridge, Chapel all ghost towns? They all have a large supermarket. I don't know the answer to that question to be honest but suspect that (despite the cries of 'Yes' from the rally attendees) it is in the negative. Of course there is no proof and we are talking really about hypotheses. You can go on the Tescopoly website of course but if you expect a balanced view from that lot then you need to give your head a wobble. The best approach would be to compare shop occupancy rates in Marple with comparable towns nearby that have a large supermarket in or near them. I'd guess that the results of such a study would surprise many people.

Smithy166

« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:36 PM »
From what I understand, the "reduction in house prices" arguement is based on comparisions of places that have had a supermarket built (sort of a before and after thing)
I thought the "lul" in house price movement was a nationwide average, not a local issue? Mind you, i'm only a student  :P

Henry_

« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
This house devaluation issue. It puzzles me as it is usually the last resort of a Daily Mail reader. The next logical step would be for someone to argue that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would encourage illegal immigrants  ???

My quandary is this. Many people arguing against a supermarket want affordable housing in Marple instead. If a supermarket delivers this by other means is this not a good thing? Or is it a case of affordable housing being good unless it is my house that is rendered affordable, in which case it is bad?

The truth is actually that house prices are going nowhere (at best) for around 5 years according to most people in the know. Any supermarket in Marple would do very little to change that overall trend. We should of course all be rejoicing at this.

Smithy166

« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
Hmm, seems the "yes" campaigners aren't all "halo wairing fairy's" after all  ::)

amazon

« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
Post by Mike in France
AND finally we can all go back to our 'Marple' bubble now the nasty man has gone............... SKYGUY  YOU WILL be reading this because you have seen your name, IT seams you have nothing nice to say, now in the words of thumps Mum in Bambi, If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all.

Nasty?? now this is what I call nasty (Time to spam their page )quote from a Yes supporter on Facebook.There is nothing "Nice" to say about the prospect of our town possibly closing down :(
[/quote]
             If the supermarket ever comes there wont be many shops in Marple open anyway the rate they are closing .  . Glossop seems to be doing quite well though .and they have a supermarket  .

Dave

« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Very good sense from JMC

JMC

« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
Hey JMC I must also be very selfish because I care about increased traffic for everyone , I care about my grandchildrens continued education facilities , I care about my house and other peoples house 's devaluation, I care about the safety of our most vulnerable on our already congested roads, I care about that all important emergency appliance getting to me mine or others in time to make a difference between life and death, I care about the community losing an education facility    I care that this maybe the start of things to come ?
Oh my God what a selfish cow I am   ;)

I care about those things too, I am sure everyone here does. But we each have differing priorities (like with anything in life and according to our individual needs) and different beliefs as to which of those things would be affected by a supermarket on Hibbert Lane.

Some people think that the traffic would even out, for example, if more people stayed in Marple to shop. Some feel there is more of a threat of losing an educational facility if the college don't sell Hibbert Lane campus.

It is not wrong, though, to have your main priority as either; cheaper food shopping if you are on a low income, concerns regarding the price of your house devaluing, worries about the effect on your own business etc. All those people will have different priorities, doesn't make them wrong or selfish but they are seeing it from their point of view depending on where they will be affected. This doesn't mean that they do not care about the above concerns or are selfish.

tina

« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »
Bickering exchange overwritten. Please use the PM system to exchange messages like this. Admin.

Miss Marple

« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
Bickering exchange overwritten. Please use the PM system to exchange messages like this. Admin.