Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Local Councillors come off the fence over Supermarket!  (Read 3237 times)

Dave

Re: Local Councillors come off the fence over Supermarket!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »
I'm not aware that our councillors have 'gauged public opinion'. None of them have asked me what I think, or anyone else I know. Let's hope they don't assume that the commotion being created by a few vociferous opponents is in any way representative of the views of the 23,000 residents of Marple!

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:10:51 AM »
presumably because its been confirmed that any planning app will now go direct to the main Stockport planning committee which currently does not have any Marple councillors sitting. 

Unusually for local govt all councillors sit on their local planning committees ( ones held in the library!) and thus cannot comment or take sides otherwise could be claimed to have "an interest".  Most councils dont do this as it means no councillor can EVER support the people that voted for them in ANY planning issues which is madness and more frustratingly Stockport councillors CHOOSE to do it this way!!! But thats another fight :D

However as its bypassing the normal procedures, and rightly so, they can now put their twopenneth worth in.. though in my humble opinion its more likely to be that now theyve gauged public opinion and seen the strength of the local campaign they are now  jumping on the bandwagon will use this daft rule as an excuse for joining in late...

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
Wait a minute !  What's changed   ???  Because we were constantly being  informed by local councillors that if they did become involved that would prevent them voting in that all important planning vote or whatever vote that was important.   SO !   I hope the councillors have got it right because if not they may not be able to vote against it  I am not political in anyway shape or form so do not understand the in house rules ! But I hope they do   ???   Can anyone explain why they have now come off the fence because I am now even more confused  ???

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Local Councillors come off the fence over Supermarket!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website