Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Idea's for Improving Marple District Centre  (Read 8415 times)

Marple Business Forum

Re: Idea's for Improving Marple District Centre
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
mc donalds

;D A little beyond our brief I'm afraid  ;D

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Have you tried asking independent shops to deliver? I think that you would be pleasantly surprised at the number in Marple who will do this, especially as you have a health problem. Most of those that I know don't charge from the service as they work it in with their usual journeys home or when pcking up stock.

I haven't thought of asking them to be honest but if they do that and could advertise it would be great as not everyone is confident enough to ask and many disabilities are not obvious and people may be worried about disclosing them. If a list of shops who would deliver is avaliable in future it would be great.

I like that idea!  As far as know it hasn't been raised before.

I'll look into it and see what we can put together.

bluebelly

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »
mc donalds

CTCREP

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
For years Cycle Stockport has been trying to get Stockport MBC to provide an information board at the Rosehill end of the Middlewood Way for visitors to be shown where the cafes are and local places of interest. Unfortunately Stockport MBC is only interested in publicising itself. I would hope the Business Forum would consider putting an information board at Rosehill as at present anyone arriving there and not knowing the area have nothing to encourage them to explore further and making use of the cafes etc in the area. For those unaware of what interest there is in cycle routes you should know that the recent opening up of the tunnel on the Monsal Trail has resulted in a huge increase in usage. The Middlewood Way could bring in many more visitors to Marple if advertised properly.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:27 AM »
Some cycle parking/hoops down the lower end of the centre, particularly outside the Post Office ( ), would be a good improvement!

Also, why not some kind of central information board at the foot of Market Street, housing a map of Marple District Centre with all the shops named or numbered (our own version of what larger shopping centres, eg. The Trafford Centre have), and highlighting Memorial Park and the route up Church Lane to the canal? I know Marple isn't that big, but it might be useful for those new to the area or who don't want to walk up and down the dead-ends of Derby Way, etc. to see what's actually here. Perhaps it could have advertising space for local businesses, to fund the installation and upkeep?

The repaving/regeneration a few years ago improved the look of the street massively, but I always find the actual main entrance to the street here to be rather ugly, with the back of a phone box and that huge CCTV camera column providing the only focal points. It's not really a place anyone wants to dwell at the moment.

Thanks for the ideas rsh.

I've added the bike hoops to the list of ideas to explore.  The idea for noticeboard of some kind is on our list but I like the idea of a 'District Centre Information Board'.

This is great - please keep the ideas coming!

rsh

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
Some cycle parking/hoops down the lower end of the centre, particularly outside the Post Office ( ), would be a good improvement!

Also, why not some kind of central information board at the foot of Market Street, housing a map of Marple District Centre with all the shops named or numbered (our own version of what larger shopping centres, eg. The Trafford Centre have), and highlighting Memorial Park and the route up Church Lane to the canal? I know Marple isn't that big, but it might be useful for those new to the area or who don't want to walk up and down the dead-ends of Derby Way, etc. to see what's actually here. Perhaps it could have advertising space for local businesses, to fund the installation and upkeep?

The repaving/regeneration a few years ago improved the look of the street massively, but I always find the actual main entrance to the street here to be rather ugly, with the back of a phone box and that huge CCTV camera column providing the only focal points. It's not really a place anyone wants to dwell at the moment.

Harry

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »
Thank you for the pointer to the map.

Interesting to note that it carefully includes the Chadwick Street car park. This means that anything built on there (a supermarket perhaps ???) would be within the District Centre and therefore not in breach of council policy.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »
Free Parking

An idea I'm currenty looking into.  Unfortunatley the charging policy is set by SMBC so we have no control over that and in the current climate SMBC won't do anything that would remove a revenue stream for them.

However, I was told about a scheme set-up in another town in the South that is currently being explored.  Watch this space.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
The District Centre runs from Bowden Lane down Stockport Road to the bridge over the canel and from the Co-op to the top end of Market Street.

A map of the District Centre can be found here: http://www.marplepartnership.org.uk/map.htm

Harry

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
Just where is the District Centre?

Is it just Market Street and Derby Way, or does it encompass Stockport Road, from Bowden Lane to the Navigation?

Duke Fame

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:28 AM »
The Marple Business Forum is always looking for new ideas to improve the District Centre and for feedback on what you think of Marple as a shopping destination.

If you have any thoughts / ideas on the District Centre we'd love to hear them.  Please either post them here or e-mail marketing@marpletraders.co.uk.

Free Parking

Marple Business Forum

Idea's for Improving Marple District Centre
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
The Marple Business Forum is always looking for new ideas to improve the District Centre and for feedback on what you think of Marple as a shopping destination.

If you have any thoughts / ideas on the District Centre we'd love to hear them.  Please either post them here or e-mail marketing@marpletraders.co.uk.