Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Idea's for Improving Marple District Centre  (Read 8392 times)

JMC

Re: Idea's for Improving Marple District Centre
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »

ERR NO!

I said that if a nice social housing development were to happen, it would be good for local traders!!

Didn't I

Yes it would in the short run. In the long run, I tend to think we need to create a more aspirational society (UK not just Marple) and social housing is not a solution. We need the state to hand out less and people should earn more themselves. In encouraging enterprise and individual responsibility, the local traders will have a more successful and affluent market to go at.

I think the site is best served as a College with part of the site sold to something like a Virgin active / David Lloyd club.

That sounds very Conservative. Some people need social housing and cannot be 'aspirational' though; some disabled people, lone parents etc. Not to mention massive house prices and lack of jobs. More housing for those on low incomes is a good thing.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »
I'm just bumping this up!

We've received a lot of good ideas for improving Marple District Centre and are currently working on trying to implement some of them.

If you have any other ideas for what you'd think would improve Marple please post them here, PM me or e-mail marketing@marpletraders.co.uk.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
Have you tried asking independent shops to deliver? I think that you would be pleasantly surprised at the number in Marple who will do this, especially as you have a health problem. Most of those that I know don't charge from the service as they work it in with their usual journeys home or when pcking up stock.

I haven't thought of asking them to be honest but if they do that and could advertise it would be great as not everyone is confident enough to ask and many disabilities are not obvious and people may be worried about disclosing them. If a list of shops who would deliver is avaliable in future it would be great.

This one we've progressed very quickly and we've expanded it a bit from just which businesses deliver!  Shortly a new section of the MBF website will be published.  The new section will includes details on which members offer different services.  The services that will be detailed are: Home Delivery, Evening Appointments, Home Consultations and Customer Accounts.

People will then be able to see exactly which members offer which service.  I'll let you know when it goes live.

Just to let you know the new section of the MBF website has now gone live: http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/marple-services.html.

Here you can find details of which members offer which service.  The lists are not complete but it's a start - keep checking to see the updates as they're released.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
Getting a little off topic guys - bringing it back to the original thread I thought I'd update you all on the response to your ideas so far:

Free Parking

Research still ongoing.  We have agreement in principle from a number of traders to honour a 'Car Parking Fee Rebate Scheme' but the machines in the car parks only print a single tickets.  Therefore, we are currently researching options and examining how the scheme could be administered.

Watch this space for more information shortly.

Also, why not some kind of central information board at the foot of Market Street, housing a map of Marple District Centre with all the shops named or numbered (our own version of what larger shopping centres, eg. The Trafford Centre have), and highlighting Memorial Park and the route up Church Lane to the canal? I know Marple isn't that big, but it might be useful for those new to the area or who don't want to walk up and down the dead-ends of Derby Way, etc. to see what's actually here. Perhaps it could have advertising space for local businesses, to fund the installation and upkeep?

For years Cycle Stockport has been trying to get Stockport MBC to provide an information board at the Rosehill end of the Middlewood Way for visitors to be shown where the cafes are and local places of interest. Unfortunately Stockport MBC is only interested in publicising itself. I would hope the Business Forum would consider putting an information board at Rosehill as at present anyone arriving there and not knowing the area have nothing to encourage them to explore further and making use of the cafes etc in the area. For those unaware of what interest there is in cycle routes you should know that the recent opening up of the tunnel on the Monsal Trail has resulted in a huge increase in usage. The Middlewood Way could bring in many more visitors to Marple if advertised properly.

It turns out a lot of research on this was done about a year ago but it was never progressed - I'm not sure why!  I've just got my hands on the information and am currently digesting it.  I'm hoping to be in a position to take a fully-costed proposal to the next MBF business meeting.

Have you tried asking independent shops to deliver? I think that you would be pleasantly surprised at the number in Marple who will do this, especially as you have a health problem. Most of those that I know don't charge from the service as they work it in with their usual journeys home or when pcking up stock.

I haven't thought of asking them to be honest but if they do that and could advertise it would be great as not everyone is confident enough to ask and many disabilities are not obvious and people may be worried about disclosing them. If a list of shops who would deliver is avaliable in future it would be great.

This one we've progressed very quickly and we've expanded it a bit from just which businesses deliver!  Shortly a new section of the MBF website will be published.  The new section will includes details on which members offer different services.  The services that will be detailed are: Home Delivery, Evening Appointments, Home Consultations and Customer Accounts.

People will then be able to see exactly which members offer which service.  I'll let you know when it goes live.

A few other comments / ideas that were e-mailed to me that you might like to know about are:
State of District Centre - It was commented that there are a large amount of weeds and general untidyness (is that a word?) in the District Centre, alleyways and car parks.  We agree!  So the MBF are organising a Task Day where members will come together and give the District Centre a full 'spring clean'.

Late Night Opening - We are currently exploring options to run a trial Late Night Opening period to test response and success.  Clearly, this would only work if a enough of the businesses agree to participate.  Negotiations ongoing.

Duke Fame

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »

ERR NO!

I said that if a nice social housing development were to happen, it would be good for local traders!!

Didn't I

Yes it would in the short run. In the long run, I tend to think we need to create a more aspirational society (UK not just Marple) and social housing is not a solution. We need the state to hand out less and people should earn more themselves. In encouraging enterprise and individual responsibility, the local traders will have a more successful and affluent market to go at.

I think the site is best served as a College with part of the site sold to something like a Virgin active / David Lloyd club.

alan@marple

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »

ERR NO!

Didn't I

Duke Fame

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
I too agree, that it would be far better if shoppers purchases could be refunded to the amount stated on the parking ticket, provided it was at least equal to their minimum purchase.

I was pleasantly surprised today- when I got through the roadworks- at how pleasant it was to shop on Park Lane at Poynton,
plenty of free parking spaces and two- supermarkets Waitrose and Asda together with a host of private shops and cafes.

I object to having to pay for parking especially when traders ask us to shop locally, where is the incentive?

The supermarket will come! and I know those currently against the Idea, will never be seen in it!!!!!

But don't worry Marple, I reckon that if the council don't approve it, they might well agree to a nice new social housing development, now that would be good for local traders, do you not agree?

What you are suggesting is that the central shopping area would benefit from an extra supermarket within the central shopping area.

alan@marple

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:51 AM »
I too agree, that it would be far better if shoppers purchases could be refunded to the amount stated on the parking ticket, provided it was at least equal to their minimum purchase.

I was pleasantly surprised today- when I got through the roadworks- at how pleasant it was to shop on Park Lane at Poynton,
plenty of free parking spaces and two- supermarkets Waitrose and Asda together with a host of private shops and cafes.

I object to having to pay for parking especially when traders ask us to shop locally, where is the incentive?

The supermarket will come! and I know those currently against the Idea, will never be seen in it!!!!!

But don't worry Marple, I reckon that if the council don't approve it, they might well agree to a nice new social housing development, now that would be good for local traders, do you not agree?

Duke Fame

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »
Free Parking

An idea I'm currenty looking into.  Unfortunatley the charging policy is set by SMBC so we have no control over that and in the current climate SMBC won't do anything that would remove a revenue stream for them.

However, I was told about a scheme set-up in another town in the South that is currently being explored.  Watch this space.

I'm involved with the 4 Heatons Traders Assn and we're looking to remove parking charges. The alternative is to swap the car park ticket at a member's shop & get a refund. The trader can claim it as an expense and the VAT back.

I prefer the use of expanding foam which really does for ticket machines but not something I can recommend legally.

rsh

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
The Middlewood Way could bring in many more visitors to Marple if advertised properly.
Absolutely! It could just be as easy as providing a signed cycle route into the town centre from Rose Hill, avoiding Stockport Road. This might be out of the Business Forum's area, but perhaps even a "Marple Loop" with it's own National Cycle Network regional route number, if possible. Macclesfield at the other end of the 'way has several of these (admittedly bigger) routes that circle the town on quieter roads. Here we could direct people from Middlewood up Woodville Drive and across to Mount Drive into the town centre, then back via Memorial Park, Norbury Drive, Bowden Lane and Dale Road. All you need is a little blue sign at each junction, or in some cases just stickers stuck to existing poles. As well as encouring more people to visit the shops and canal, that expensive crossing down on Stockport Road might even get some cycle use! ;D

Cripes

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 12:53:13 PM »
I think the main issue is the opening hours, but the traders I have spoken to have said that they hours they work are long enough as it is - however if you want it to work, open later maybe?

Also I have just had a flick through the rents of the various empty shops around Marple, completely unrealistic in this climate. As I've mentioned before, I think pop up shops may be the answer to landlords inflexibility with the rent they are asking, this explains in more detail http://www.artistsandmakers.com/staticpages/index.php/esnresources

Henry_

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
Seriously though, the most frustrating thing about shopping in Marple is knowing when the shops are shut for dinner / early closing. I appreciate that many places do not have cover for dinner breaks (which is understandable) but better information on this would help. The most frustrating thing is trying to get a hair cut. The 3 barbers in competition at the lower end of Stockport Rd seem to just shut whenever is convenient for them. It's turned my hair grey!!  :(

If you look on the MBF website (www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk) all the members are listed in the Members Directory.  Their opening hours are all listed on their entries.

I completely understand the annoyance of going to a business only to find it closed when it should be open- I'll raise this at the next MBF meeting and see if anything can be done about it.

Thanks Michael, that's a really useful link.

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
Seriously though, the most frustrating thing about shopping in Marple is knowing when the shops are shut for dinner / early closing. I appreciate that many places do not have cover for dinner breaks (which is understandable) but better information on this would help. The most frustrating thing is trying to get a hair cut. The 3 barbers in competition at the lower end of Stockport Rd seem to just shut whenever is convenient for them. It's turned my hair grey!!  :(

If you look on the MBF website (www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk) all the members are listed in the Members Directory.  Their opening hours are all listed on their entries.

I completely understand the annoyance of going to a business only to find it closed when it should be open- I'll raise this at the next MBF meeting and see if anything can be done about it.

Henry_

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »

Henry_

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
mc donalds

There was a strong rumour of a McDonalds many moons ago - situated in the old co-op building, now M&Co. We can but dream . . .