Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: A letter of objection example  (Read 6057 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: A letter of objection example
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Here is another example of a letter that has been sent to all the college governors. Once again, don't copy, but use as a basis to structure your own personal letter:

YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
DATE

NAME
CHEADLE & MARPLE SIXTH FORM COLLEGE
Marple Campus
Hibbert Lane
Marple
Stockport SK6 7PA

Dear NAME,

Proposed sale of the Hibbert Lane College Site

This letter is to ask you to use your position on the board of governors to help  rescind the decision on the sale of the Hibbert Lane site to a supermarket chain. The fate of Marple as a functioning community rests solely on the shoulders of the governors, the principal and her advisors. Once a sale is agreed, the record shows that the supermarket always wins. Their legal departments are well-tuned machines that work through the national appeals process, continuing until they exhaust the financial and moral resistance of the local community.  

In considering the disposal of Hibbert Lane, you should balance the shorter-term gain, and ‘easy-answer’ that a supermarket sale provides, against your wider responsibility to the community that you have a responsibility to serve. As important is your pastoral duty to your pupils not to damage the community in which they live.

I urge you to turn away from a sale to a supermarket and look for other solutions – and there are always alternatives.  Marple in Action has declared a readiness to work with you on these alternatives.

I strongly advise you to work with the grain of the community and not against it. Engage with the community that you should be part of. Cooperate with MiA in finding another solution before you make a decision with such catastrophic potential for the people of Marple.

Finally, I ask that you reply giving your personal position on this important issue.

Yours sincerely

YOUR NAME
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alstan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 06:20:18 AM »
Thank you for posting the letter of objection example. I wonder if the authors can suggest where the families that are in need of affordable housing will go for their affordable food? Bringing the weekly shop for a family of four back from Stockport on the bus will not be a lot of fun. With regard to the argument for a health centre, I have attended a doctor in Marple for more than 39 years and never, not once, have I had to park more than 30 yards from the door.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »
Harry old chap,the governers have already declared that there selling to the highest bidder. Surely this is not merely 'scare mongering' by people ( Marple in Action?) who really care and wish the best for all Marple folk and people who love the countryside (as it is!) in general. All we mean......is keep it Green!!! Thank you!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
When has there been any suggestion that a superstore could be built in Marple? Other than by people trying to worry others.

Here are some facts as determined by Marple Civic Society that may help to convince you Harry: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3642.msg16793#msg16793
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
Here's a sample letter to the Governors: don't copy but use for guidance to write your own:

Dear Governor

I have heard that at your next meeting in October you will be discussing options for the sale of your Hibbert Lane site.

I and others in Marple are very concerned at the suggestions that this site could be used to build a superstore, ........

When has there been any suggestion that a superstore could be built in Marple? Other than by people trying to worry others.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Here's a sample letter to the Governors: don't copy but use for guidance to write your own:

Dear Governor

I have heard that at your next meeting in October you will be discussing options for the sale of your Hibbert Lane site.

I and others in Marple are very concerned at the suggestions that this site could be used to build a superstore, with repercussions on the whole of our small town.

We have been proud to have a thriving sixth form college at the centre of our community; this together with our tourist attractions and wide range of independent shops and services makes Marple a special place to live.

As part of our community I hope you will take note of the concerns of local people for their environment and look for other, less damaging uses for this site.  We have large supermarkets within a few miles in each direction and if another is built here we fear the heart of Marple will be destroyed to enable the flow of deliveries and traffic to the store.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
I've been contacted by a user trying to find this particular post because it had become fairly deeply buried amongst the many others. This is a good example of a letter that could be send to college, governors, MP, coucillors etc. If you are going to write, make it personal and individual, but this is great for an idea of how to go about it. There's another if I can find it that I will move here too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
A letter of objection example
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Here is an email letter written by two local resident, who have forwarded me a copy and agreed that it can be published on the website. This is a good model for anyone wishing to object to the proposed sale of the College Land to a supermarket chain:

To: cllr.susan.ingham@stockport.gov.uk
Cc: paul.lawrence@stockport.gov.uk
Cc: democratic.services@stockport.gov.uk
Cc: enquiries@andrewstunell.org.uk

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 3:59 PM

Subject: Supermarket at College site

Dear Councillor Ingham,

Proposed sale of Cheadle & Marple Sixth Form College Hibbert Lane campus to supermarket

We are writing to protest against the proposed sale and redevelopment. We understand this is being discussed by Marple Area Committee on Wednesday.

We realise that the college is obliged to make the best profit possible from the sale of their site and that it is is a “brown field site” appropriate for redevelopment. We are also  aware that it may be argued that the coming of another supermarket to Marple may bring jobs.

Nevertheless we believe that the proposed redevelopment is not appropriate for the following reasons:

Small businesses are the heart of the High Street.

The new supermarket may bring some jobs but it is likely to put existing ones in jeopardy. Shoppers coming to the new supermarket are likely to do all their shopping under the one roof and then go home. This would be to the detriment of the small quality shops in Marple such as the butchers, bread shops and delicatessens and newsagents.  Many of these businesses are long established; and their owners work hard themselves and employ several assistants.

If these small businesses close for lack of custom, local jobs will be lost and the “High Street “ will be compromised. Fewer people are likely to patronise the surviving businesses and there may be a downward spiral removing the “heart” from the town.

Small businesses promote a sense of community

The small shopkeepers get to know their clientele and offer personal service not to be found in supermarkets. There is always time to talk to customers in small Marple shops. This contributes to a feeling of community,
Going from shop to shop one meets friends and neighbours, and that helps to promote a feeling of community too.

The existing local businesses tend to be committed to the civic good and participate wholeheartedly in community events such as the local Carnival, the Autumn Festival, and the July Boat Festival etc. Marple needs the energy and good will of these independent traders.

We already have sufficient supermarkets in this part of Stockport

There are already two supermarkets – the large central Co-op and the smaller one at the petrol station at the bottom of Church Lane. There is a convenience store at Rose Hill and several other shops selling food items, such as the newsagents next to the baths and the petrol station opposite. Marple is a small community and does not need another supermarket.  There are also supermarkets at nearby Romiley, on the A6 at Hazel Grove, and in Stockport.

Traffic Implications

The roundabout on Hibbert Lane was not designed to cope with a large volume of traffic.
The bottom of Hibbert Lane is narrow and difficult to negotiate especially if cars are parked on the road and /or there are on-coming buses.
A new supermarket will generate traffic at all hours, not only from shoppers and workers, but also from delivery lorries. Marple cannot cope with any more delivery lorries on the A626.  The Hibbert Lane roundabout and Hibbert Lane will not be able to cope with the increased volume of traffic either.
 Noise and fumes produced by the extra traffic will be detrimental to the quality of life in Marple.
The supermarket will cause problems with traffic and parking in surrounding roads. Currently there is a problem with lorries using the narrow bottom of Church Lane. They are likely to come this way to the new supermarket using their sat navs. Similarly if they come along Union Road they are unlikely to be able to successfully turn into Church Lane at the junction and will have to turn or reverse back,

Existing designation of site

I understand that the site is designated for residential use.

Alternative suggestions for use of this site.

Use for Social Housing

Marple lacks affordable housing and social housing. It would be lovely to see site redeveloped by a Housing Association with a mix of small housing units to rent and to buy through shared equity scheme.

Use for a combined Health Centre

Doctors’ surgeries at Marple and Marple Bridge do not have adequate parking for staff and patients. Why not have a combined Health Centre with pharmacy and parking as at Woodley?

Please do not allow this application for change of use to allow a supermarket to be built on this site (or any similar application).

Two concerned residents of Marple.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website