Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: How Big will this Tesco / ASDA be ?  (Read 11429 times)

rsh

Re: How Big will this Tesco / ASDA be ?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
Sorry to dig this topic up, but a quick search of "proposed ASDA supermarkets" brought up a potential example to add here from a place called Forfar.

Take a look here: http://www.asdaforfar.co.uk

There's a PDF plan of the development on there -- and here's the actual view on Google Maps: http://g.co/maps/tf346

The site is more of a square than the rectangle on Hibbert Lane, but they are eerily similar in size. Also interesting: the block in the bottom-left of the Forfar plan is actually an affordable housing development (16 flats). Creating 230 jobs, the store has a 339 space car park and the development is costing £24m to build.

And as far as ASDA stores go (usually the ugliest of the lot, unfortunately), this one doesn't look too bad:

Couple of articles: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/17635/forfar-s-new-asda-store-has-10-applicants-for-every-job.html
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/9373/asda-given-green-light-to-build-24m-forfar-superstore.html

The store itself is somewhere just less than twice the size of Marple Co-Op judging by the plans, but that includes service areas.

amazon

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »
13 MILLION POUNDS BIG !!!!!!  :-X
      not a lot of money by to days standards

Blimey who do you work for ?  :-\
                      I Dont retired . their learent a bit more .

Osdog

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
Thank you for all the replies to this one...... I'll keep reading.

Smithy166

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
      not a lot of money by todays standards

Just to put 13 million pounds into perspective, A new helictoper costs around 2 million, a decent second hand 260ft long icebreaker will set you back around 7 million, a mansion around 1 to 2 million. Its not a "small" amount of money by any means, Especailly for a plot of land the size of COM.

Miss Marple

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »

Blimey who do you work for ?  :-\

amazon

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »

alstan

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
I agree rsh. Thank good someone is being rational and objective. It is unlikely to be more than half the size of a football pitch, about 4,500sq m plus a free car park within walking distance of Market Street.. I was in Towcester yesterday. A market town population about 20,000, ie smaller than Marple. It has a Coop supermarket and a Waitrose within yards of Watling Street, the main shopping street, a Tesco Superstore and Homebase about 400m away, and a thriving shopping street. The Tesco is approx 3600sq m.

Miss Marple

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 01:31:30 AM »

rsh

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
An interesting bit of work here from a member of MiA. The Co-Op has been transposed onto the Hibbert Lane site at the same scale to show just how big the site is. There is enough room for 4 Co-Ops!
Well, not really - not if you include the delivery areas, car parking, landscaping, access roads. I see the point people are trying to make - this is a very big site - but this kind of useless scaremongering helps no-one. In fact, I'm seeing a lot of people beginning to just laugh at this campaigning because of such melodramatic scaremongering. It's becoming the joke of the town. You're loosing potential supporters by acting like the sky is falling on Marple before we even know any of the details.

How big could a supermarket on this site be? Bigger than the Co-op probably, if only to give it an edge, but I doubt if it would approach even the size of Tesco Whaley Bridge (which is built largely away from housing, with good road links) let alone a Tesco Extra. In fact, if we're talking ASDA now, it might even fall under their new "ASDA Supermarket" brand, which are Aldi/Lidl/Netto-size stores. Neighbourhood supermarkets, not motorway hypermarkets. There is no business sense in a supermarket putting that kind of floorspace on this site.

Miss Marple

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
It's worse than even I imagined , it really brings it home when you see it like that.  

SHAME ON YOU CAMSFC !!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
An interesting bit of work here from a member of MiA. The Co-Op has been transposed onto the Hibbert Lane site at the same scale to show just how big the site is. There is enough room for 4 Co-Ops!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »
Tesco and the other big supermarkets have a sympathetic government which believes in past=tracking planning applications.so we are up against it unless we make a very big noise indeed at an early a stage as possible, starting with the protest march on 20 August (2pm, precinct).

Agreed.  Sympathetic government, endless appeals, brigades of consultants, aggressive approach, it's all reported here on the BBC's article "Growth of the 'big four' supermarkets".

Saturday 20th August 2pm, precinct

Victor Meldrew

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
I've worked my way through an awful lot of the threads here, and I can't find any information with regard to the Sq footage of the site.

I assume that the supermarket will not take up the whole of the site, as part has to be for recreation (am I right in this assumption?) - so, my vote on whether I would approve or not would I think be partly influenced by how large it was.  I'd hate to see something the size of the Tesco in Stockport going on there, but if it was one of those small units (Tesco Metro) then it would be a great bit of competition to the Co-Op.

I suspect it'll be somewhere in between the two. 

Thoughts ??

The Stockport Council people on other threads have said that the UDP only allows retail use up to 200 square metres, which would be smaller than the Coop's little brother at the bottom of Church Lane. Anything bigger and SMBC will oppose it.

However, SMBC put a size limit on the Tesco store 4 miles down the road a few years ago, only for Tesco to build one 25% bigger anyway!

Tesco and the other big supermarkets have a sympathetic government which believes in past=tracking planning applications.so we are up against it unless we make a very big noise indeed at an early a stage as possible, starting with the protest march on 20 August (2pm, precinct).

alstan

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:19 AM »
6 football pitches! The area of Manchester City’s pitch is 8,816 sq m. The gross area of Tesco Portwood store, the gross area, not the sales area, is 11,095sq m. ie 1.25 the times of a football pitch. “Belly” is entirely right about the potential nature of the store and there can be little doubt that any store to be built would be significantly smaller that a football pitch. There is, of course, the car park as well but if, as Maria says, the development including the car park has to be within the footprint of the existing buildings it will be compact.
If Lisa is right and there is potential for easing of restrictions and enlarged development in the future that is only likely to happen if the store is a success and its support by people in Marple and surrounding areas is established.

Part of this post has been removed as it covers another topic and has also been posted the relevant thread. Admin.

Smithy166

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
The size of Six football pitches !

Wheres the proof that the building would be that big Miss M?

And please don't use Portwood as an example, as any store at Marple would not be the size of a borough centered store located next to a major motorway junction.

I think its more like the size of 3 1/2 football pitches (well, 3 1/2 manchester united football pitches)