Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Registered charity?  (Read 4865 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Registered charity?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
you dont fund ads.. you get media attention..much more effective.. plus we have facebook and twitter and various other free networking tools
individuals print their own bits and pieces.. the joy of internet and sharing docs.. We also painted a lot of signs.. idiots are less likely to pinch a bloody big wooden sign nailed to something solid.
and for community meetings for community issues such as this.. i dare any local venue to charge.. or should i say i doubt any would considering the very public size of this campaign and the fact they will be supporting us anyway.

Ive held several public meetings in pubs... landlords love it!

Smithy166

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
Having run a very successful local campaign fighting a similarly large multi national company including taking Stockport council to court, winning, stopping the development then going national including being in every paper and TV station you can imagine, I agree with Duke... Campaigns can be run very cheaply at a negligible cost and I'm surprised you are considering "treasurers" at this point!  Certainly you don't need charity status and would be unlikely to get it anyway.

A word of warning... based on sadly too much experience ...even with massive support if you ask for donations its unlikely you will get much.. especially considering the financial situation at mo... Do what we did.. presume you ll get nothing, do everything on the cheap by begging and borrowing and recycling, then every bit that does come in is a bonus.

Sweat equity, people will be prepared to do the odd favour gratis before they'll cough up cash. I'm sure we all know a legal eagle, businness magazine editor, acoustic chap and no doubt someone with a bit of planning knowledge who'll put forward an hour of their expertise
I was thinking about funding ads, the mass of posters, banners etc. Not to mention renting a venue for the various meetings that take place!

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »
Having run a very successful local campaign fighting a similarly large multi national company including taking Stockport council to court, winning, stopping the development then going national including being in every paper and TV station you can imagine, I agree with Duke... Campaigns can be run very cheaply at a negligible cost and I'm surprised you are considering "treasurers" at this point!  Certainly you don't need charity status and would be unlikely to get it anyway.

A word of warning... based on sadly too much experience ...even with massive support if you ask for donations its unlikely you will get much.. especially considering the financial situation at mo... Do what we did.. presume you ll get nothing, do everything on the cheap by begging and borrowing and recycling, then every bit that does come in is a bonus.

Sweat equity, people will be prepared to do the odd favour gratis before they'll cough up cash. I'm sure we all know a legal eagle, businness magazine editor, acoustic chap and no doubt someone with a bit of planning knowledge who'll put forward an hour of their expertise

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
Hi,

Marple Civic Society which is a registered charity has already agreed to act as Treasurer for Marple in Action. When we need to ask the public for donations it will be made clear that donations will be held in a seperate bank account by the Civic Society on behalf of Marple in Action.

Having the local branch of a National Organisation like the Civic Society involved in this way will give MIA great credibility and recognition. MIA shall continue to make links with other local groups and organisations as this will strengthen our position.

So thank you Marple Civic Society for your assistance in this.

I was going to suggest the very same, good stuff.

Catwoman

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
Hi,

Marple Civic Society which is a registered charity has already agreed to act as Treasurer for Marple in Action. When we need to ask the public for donations it will be made clear that donations will be held in a seperate bank account by the Civic Society on behalf of Marple in Action.

Having the local branch of a National Organisation like the Civic Society involved in this way will give MIA great credibility and recognition. MIA shall continue to make links with other local groups and organisations as this will strengthen our position.

So thank you Marple Civic Society for your assistance in this.

Maria

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
donations may be needed for posters/signage etc but don't imagine it will be too much

Duke Fame

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
I was woundering weither it would be possible for marple in action to register as a charity.
Mainly because it would make donations alot easier, along with tax, and would generate publicaty. It would also show the various cocerned parties that we, as a group, Are "hell bent" on stopping A giant supermarket ebing built on the CAMBL (cheadle and marple hibbert lane) site, regardless of how hard they try.

Only if donations are needed, I think most campaigns can be free.

Smithy166

Registered charity?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
I was woundering weither it would be possible for marple in action to register as a charity.
Mainly because it would make donations alot easier, along with tax, and would generate publicaty. It would also show the various cocerned parties that we, as a group, Are "hell bent" on stopping A giant supermarket ebing built on the CAMBL (cheadle and marple hibbert lane) site, regardless of how hard they try.