Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Catering for Marple/Connect2  (Read 29303 times)

CTCREP

Re: Catering for Marple/Connect2
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
The bridge is now in place across the river but work on its foundations and access paths means it will probably not be open for use until the end of July.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80878200@N02/7413949628/in/photostream

(link fixed, Howard)

rsh

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
I've uploaded a few more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ants/sets/72157630112703474/

It looks very smart indeed, good colour and a nice curvature. Looks like they're working on the middle section with the "passing points" now.

There's also another new path on that side of the river, allowing pedestrians to keep out of the narrow road towards the chapel. Better for dog walkers I imagine.

rsh

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
The Chadkirk mirage...!

Arrived today. Date for the lifting has now moved to next Wednesday, 20th June.

wheels

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
At long last. This is inded good news and will be a major benefit to the area.

I understand it wil ltake several days to actually get the bridge in place

rsh

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »
Council site now gives the following dates:

Friday 8th June 2012 - Delivery of bridge sections prior to final assembly on site.

Thursday 14th June 2012 - Installation of bridge over River Goyt (Lifting of the bridge into place is expected to commence early afternoon).

Hopefully the weather will be better by then!

CTCREP

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »
We have been told that sections for the Bridge at Chadkirk should arrive about June 8th and be put in place about June 10th to 12th. We were also told this information would be on the Stockport Web Site but I have been unable to find it, anyone able to do so please publish on this web site as it could be quite a spectacular operation getting the bridge into place.

CTCREP

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
Re Heritage Centre. Several years ago I was a member of the Etherow Goyt Partnership - a group set up by the Mersey Basin Campaign that itself had been set up by the Government to clean up the rivers in the area. Once done they then realised they needed to encourage people to make use of the rivers - hence the partnership. At the time I proposed a route from the end of the Middlewood Way down to Etherow Country Park which of course went close to the confluence of the Rivers Etherow and Goyt. During that period we did get the improved path through Brabyns Park from the canal down to the sports pavilion in the park but never got any further in getting it signposted. Hopefully now with Connect 2 Stockport MBC will take an active part in promoting Marple. Also at this time British Waterways offered the small building on the corner by top lock as a Visitor Centre. Unfortunately this wasn't taken up, but perhaps the Civic Society has it in mind.

marveld

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:11 AM »
A bit of tree damage to report from the other day - see pics! Two trees on the river bank and one at the top of the bridleway ....

[attachment deleted by admin]

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
There’s not much left of the old Marple Hall site. One remaining feature is a section of the old cobbled road. To my surprise, there was a digger today removing one side of the edging cobbles. The workmen explained they had been instructed to remove both edges so new raised wooden edging could be inserted as per the bridleway already completed round the school. The middle section of cobbles was then going to be buried under the new surface. However, their work had been halted by a councillor coming down and asking them to stop since the site was of historical significance. Their brief is now to put back the cobbles and leave the path as it is. However, as you can see from the photos, what they are putting back does not match the pattern of the original edging, but blends in with the middle section.
Well done to that Councillor!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »
No !  It's here being looked after until the owner calls and collects it  ;).   Seriously though if we had somewhere like a Marple heritage centre or the like  I would give it them.  There must be lots of Marple folk with bits of Marple Hall in their homes !  Whatever happened to the door from Marple Hall that was in the Bowling Green pub,  hopefully that wasn't thrown away ?

Duke Fame

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
Well I have a cannon ball which I found on the site about 5 years ago !  It was verified with the help of Steve Cliffe from The Heritage  Magazine who sent it off to Leeds for verification and dating !  All I need now is a cannon  :D

Does anyone know anyone who would vandalise and steal from the site, name and shame:

Miss M

Miss Marple

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
Well I have a cannon ball which I found on the site about 5 years ago !  It was verified with the help of Steve Cliffe from The Heritage  Magazine who sent it off to Leeds for verification and dating !  All I need now is a cannon  :D

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
It's disgusting what has been allowed to happen to Marple Hall site ! Shame on the planners for allowing such carnage.

Surely shame on the people of Marple and Stockport for looting the site and trashing it all those years ago. There's nothing left of any consequence to save.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
It's disgusting what has been allowed to happen to Marple Hall site ! Shame on the planners for allowing such carnage.

marveld

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »
There’s not much left of the old Marple Hall site. One remaining feature is a section of the old cobbled road. To my surprise, there was a digger today removing one side of the edging cobbles. The workmen explained they had been instructed to remove both edges so new raised wooden edging could be inserted as per the bridleway already completed round the school. The middle section of cobbles was then going to be buried under the new surface. However, their work had been halted by a councillor coming down and asking them to stop since the site was of historical significance. Their brief is now to put back the cobbles and leave the path as it is. However, as you can see from the photos, what they are putting back does not match the pattern of the original edging, but blends in with the middle section.

[attachment deleted by admin]