Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Catering for Marple/Connect2  (Read 29300 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Catering for Marple/Connect2
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 10:50:26 PM »
I hope that a lot of the local school children that travel from Romiley will start cycling or walking to school.   However it is a shame that a cycle path is not being built though the school field as the children will have to go round 2 sites of the school field.

Are enough good quality covered cycle racks being installed at the school and will the school be activity promoting cycling once the bridge is opened?

How do the kids get to school now?

ringi

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
I hope that a lot of the local school children that travel from Romiley will start cycling or walking to school.   However it is a shame that a cycle path is not being built though the school field as the children will have to go round 2 sites of the school field.

Are enough good quality covered cycle racks being installed at the school and will the school be activity promoting cycling once the bridge is opened?

rsh

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
To let you know, the railings are waiting to be RE-bolted in!! The bridge, including railings, WAS completed and open for traffic.
Thanks for the info. Thought it was strange they still had to fit the railings with the rest of the path pretty much complete.

Hopefully they've still some work to do up at the top when the construction compound goes, to join it onto Hilltop Dr/Marple Hall Dr properly?

marveld

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
Down at the bottom, a new bridge is just waiting for its railings to be bolted in.

To let you know, the railings are waiting to be RE-bolted in!! The bridge, including railings, WAS completed and open for traffic. The ~3 inch concrete 'top layer' that included metal rods has had to be dug up and re-applied. The contractor I spoke to was brassed off because he says had completed the work to the 'plan' he was given. He said he had not been given an 'engineering drawing'. He new concrete layer is the same thickness, but the metal reinforcing rods are now closer to the edge.

The old concrete (pictured) has now been removed from the site.

[attachment deleted by admin]

rsh

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »
Here are some photos of the new path taken this week, if anyone's wondering how it's getting on...

New gates towards Otterspool where the path splits in two. The gate on the right is just big enough for a bike.

Looking down towards the river. The hill is quite steep on a bike, I'm not sure it'll be suitable for everyone. Dale Road will still be the ideal link for cyclists if it ever happens...

Back towards Marple Hall.

A lot of clearance and heavy construction. It's quite spectacular looking down to the river now, but it will look better when things begin to grow back in.

Down at the bottom, a new bridge is just waiting for its railings to be bolted in.

Looking back up towards Marple.

All in all a great improvement in terms of accessibility so far, and exciting to see construction finally beginning on the bridge itself in the distance. I almost thought that was some kind of Goyt mirage after all these years waiting...

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »
The new bridleway/footpath/cycle track which has been opened near the equestrian centre at Charlesworth as part of the Trans-Pennine Trail has been given self-closing gates to prevent motor bikes, etc., using the route.

The only problem is that the gates are not very rider friendly - they are on a strong spring and it takes two people to negociate them or your horse gets whopped on the behind by the gate swinging to.

Incidently, in reply to an earlier question, bridleways are open to walkers as well as horses so walkers are not so badly done to as the poster suggested. (Which, of course, begs the question that if walkers have the right to use bridleways, why don't horses have the right to use footpaths?)

CTCREP

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
Just for interest, I found the following on the Sustrans Web Site (They are responsible for Connect 2)

In 2010, Sustrans’ new route and iconic bridge linked central Worcester to the nearby countryside. This opened the area up for tourists and locals, and boosted the local economy. At the Diglis House Hotel, business hours have increased due to increased custom and they are seeking permission for a new riverside bar. Manager Steve is now working with local groups to run guided walks and rides by the river.

This is no time to simply say "I rest my case" It is time for Stockport MBC and Marple in particular to get on board the Connect 2 project and aim to do the same here.

minx

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
Hope that the route will have dog waste bins as I notice the poo is already piling up.

CTCREP

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
I just seen a new direction post in Brabyns Park pointing to Marple Station and Brabyns Brow. Having always been told by Stockport MBC they have no money for such things is this a promise of things to come, let’s hope not. Fine having one to the station but why Brabyns Brow? What visitor is likely to want to go there?  Why not a sign to Marple Bridge Shops instead of Brabyns Brow, and why aren’t there two more direction signs one to Marple and the Peak Forest Canal, and the other to Etherow Country Park? Once again Stockport MBC has shown its lack of interest in catering for Marple and its visitors. For example, soon it will be Dog Show time when there could be up to 500 people in the Park, yet not all of them are interested in the show itself and would welcome the opportunity to see what is in the area. They would probably spend money in the pubs and cafes etc yet Stockport MBC suggests they visit Brabyns Brow and even the Station where they could then leave Marple. When is this Council going to spend our money wisely?

Lily

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
I, too, saw the dumped carpets the other day - and I must say I was disgusted rather than disappointed.  Someone has gone to the trouble of driving down the lane to dump their old carpets rather than going the very short distance in the other direction to the Rose Hill Tip. Whoever it is should be ashamed of themselves. 
Perhaps someone will know who the culprits are and report them to the relevant authorities.

marveld

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
Regarding the filling in of the holes in the road, and the cutting back of hedgerows and trees, down from Dale Road to Lower Dale Farm.  This is done by the owners of the equestrian centre on Lower dale farm who do it on a regular basis, its nothing to do with the council or the project.

Are you sure about this Lisa? I thought the upkeep of the road was shared between the various owners of the properties at both Upper and Lower Dale Farms?

Nothing to do with the land owners, but I was very disappointed to see the dumping of rubber backed carpets the other day.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
Regarding the filling in of the holes in the road, and the cutting back of hedgerows and trees, down from Dale Road to Lower Dale Farm.  This is done by the owners of the equestrian centre on Lower dale farm who do it on a regular basis, its nothing to do with the council or the project.

marveld

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »
Bridleway along River Goyt -

marveld

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
The downside was the stretch of footpath from the end of the lane to where the new bridge will cross the river - which was as muddy as ever.

Lily - I raised this issue a few days ago and got a helpful and prompt reply (see below). I am keen to see some improvements made to the footpath, but I appears that nothing will be done until this section is turned into a bridleway. Shame really, since there is an ongoing dispute and I also question whether there is still funding for this. I don't see anything being done this year! My email was sent to Ernest Nama (Stockport Council) and Councillor Craig Wright. I received similar responses from both parties.

My email: I have a suggestion to make that I’d like you to consider. A great deal of money is being spent on the bridleway and the new bridge. As a result of this, I foresee more people making use of the footpath between the weir and Marple Dale lower farm. Unfortunately, whilst most of this section remains easily navigable all year round, there is a stretch near the farm that is either (a) often incredibly boggy, or (b) overrun with balsam. To coincide with the new bridleway, would you consider making some footpath improvements to alleviate these problems?  Please can you let me know your views on this matter.

Craig Wright's reply: Thank you for your email. It was always the intention to bring the bridleway down the Marple Dale route that you are talking about. Unfortunately negotiations with the landowners involved have dragged on and we had to get a route from Middlewood Way to the site of the bridge started by Dec last year, 2011, otherwise we would have lost the Big Lottery money being held by Sustrans who are overseeing the whole national Connect2 project. That's why we switched to the Marple Hall route which is now well advanced.

Work on the abuttments for the bridge has started and the bridge should be in place by end July.  It is still our intention to upgrade the Marple Dale route and discussions with the landowners continue. Getting rid of Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam would be a part of that, as would the provision of an all-weather surface along the whole route. We'll all just have to be patient for a little longer. When it is finally done we shall have a superb set of walking/cycling/horse-riding options from Marple going in all directions.

My colleague, Martin Candler and I walked the Marple Hall route on Tuesday. It is due to be finished by the end of March and will be a fine addition to our network of  footpaths, cycleways and bridleways. It opens up new vistas down by the river Goyt.

As soon as we get the clearance to start work on the Marple Dale route that you mention we will widely publicise that news. Regards, Craig Wright

Lily

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »
I've been for a walk this afternoon to see whether work has started on the Connect2 Bridge across the River Goyt.  There were several workmen and a digger on the Chadkirk side of the river and a notice board on the Marple side of the Goyt giving some info about the bridge.  The starting date was yesterday (5th March) and is expected to take 14 weeks.
What also surprised me is that the road down Marple Dale has been tidied up.  The holes have been filled in and overgrown shrubs cut back - which has made a few more passing places for this busy little lane which goes down to the Canoe Club and the little community beyond.
The downside was the stretch of footpath from the end of the lane to where the new bridge will cross the river - which was as muddy as ever.
I then investigated the newly laid path which follows the Goyt towards the bottom of the wood behind Marple Hall.  This is also looking good but as the workmen were busy working at the stream (bridge not reinstated yet) I had to turn round and walk back up the Dale (passing the 'Curly Wurly Tree' twice in one day).
I'm really looking forward to the completion of the works as it will give me a choice of  several circular walking routes without having to go near the main road.  It will also make access (by bicycle)  between Marple, Chadkirk, Romiley, Bredbury and beyond much easier.