All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Tesco will be good for Marple  (Read 14745 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Tesco will be good for Marple
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »
Marple has already suffered many retail businesses closing down this could provide an opportunity for new and existing businesses to flourish.

Try to think like a business person! In these very difficult times for small independent retail shops, why would anyone take on a shop/unit in marple with this situation hanging over the place? No one is going to do this unless they are deluded.
           No one will take one on because i suspect the rent and rates are to high why are there shops empty now
            who owns most of the shops on the precinct .

i believe the Dentist owns a couple, the Jeweller another couple of units. Not sure who owns the old pound shop. But yes, they are asking  rent that cannot easily be met by takings. Rates are dear too.  I think the old pound shop is £10k a year rent with £2.5k rates.

That means a retailer needs to sell around £25k of his wares just to cover rent & rates before he even puts a light on, heats the place or thinks about paying himself or any member of staff.

Yes, it's greed from landlords & local government (set by central government)

amazon

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
Marple has already suffered many retail businesses closing down this could provide an opportunity for new and existing businesses to flourish.

Try to think like a business person! In these very difficult times for small independent retail shops, why would anyone take on a shop/unit in marple with this situation hanging over the place? No one is going to do this unless they are deluded.
           No one will take one on because i suspect the rent and rates are to high why are there shops empty now
            who owns most of the shops on the precinct .

Duke Fame

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
Ah yes , Bargain Booze............... the iconic alliterative name for Barbaric Britain. They say that cockroaches would survice a nuclear strike too.

But Marple's little store does very well. It's a similar price to Threshers once was with decent wines but it's all about perception. People think they are getting a bargain - it's in hte name!

moorendman

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
Ah yes , Bargain Booze............... the iconic alliterative name for Barbaric Britain. They say that cockroaches would survice a nuclear strike too.

Duke Fame

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »
Yes, come to think of it you are right. I think It will be another indian takeaway - Tesco's are working on that niche too, but they havent quite got there yet.

The question is also begged, why did Threshers close anyway. Could it be possible that cheap supermarket wine offers ( 5-10% off six bottles ) contributed significantly to the demise of several high street wine outlet chains?

The Local probably closed due to frequent break ins and they never invested in metal shutters. I see that the new owners have invested in a big green metal shutter.

No, the Local was part of Threshers group which went bump 2 years ago.

Moorendman is right, it suffered as it didn't compete with supermarkets. It's big problem is it borrowed to buy other failing off-licencees and was stuck with a huge portfolio of off-licence outlets which weren't performing.

Cheap supermarket booze didn't help but Bargain Booze seems to thrive.

The old local is going to be a conveience store I believe.

moorendman

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
The local closed because the whole chain went bust not because a few local scallies broke in. The effect of the supermarkets buying and selling power and it's consequences for the high street are well documented:

http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2010/11/06/supermarket-effect-puts-the-squeeze-on-off-licences-51140-27610239/

and thats just the chains, the local independent has even less hope WITHOUT significant local support from consumers.

Taurus

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
Yes, come to think of it you are right. I think It will be another indian takeaway - Tesco's are working on that niche too, but they havent quite got there yet.

The question is also begged, why did Threshers close anyway. Could it be possible that cheap supermarket wine offers ( 5-10% off six bottles ) contributed significantly to the demise of several high street wine outlet chains?

The Local probably closed due to frequent break ins and they never invested in metal shutters. I see that the new owners have invested in a big green metal shutter.

moorendman

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:12 PM »

As it happens, someone has taken the plunge and taken the old Local (part of the old Threshers group) shop. I suspect they got it for a song, I'd made enquiries and although the landlord was recovering monies from the receivers, half the asking price seemed possible.

moorendman

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

sgk

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
I see the opening of another supermarket in Marple as a positive step. Some competition for the Co-op is definitely needed.
Agreed.

It will create jobs
Don't believe the hype.  This line gets trotted out time and time again and supermarkets thrive on it.  Have a look around at articles discussing supermarket effect on local jobs (a few example articles below) and see whether you still believe.

....and bring more people to Marple who will visit other shops in Marple.
Unlikely.  Free car park with a huge supermarket next door.  People will just use the supermarket.  See nearby Hyde or Stalybridge for examples.

We currently shop at Tesco in Whaley Bridge and often walk into the village for a coffee and to the butchers/bakers/petshop.
Refreshingly unusual behaviour !  Dearly wish more folk shopped like this.

Unlikely.  See articles above which pretty much shatter this myth.

Prucilla

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
I see the opening of another supermarket in Marple as a positive step. Some competition for the Co-op is definitely needed. It will create jobs and bring more people to Marple who will visit other shops in Marple. We currently shop at Tesco in Whaley Bridge and often walk into the village for a coffee and to the butchers/bakers/petshop. Marple has already suffered many retail businesses closing down this could provide an opportunity for new and existing businesses to flourish.

marpudlian

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »
A new Tesco will be a benefit to Marple. It will bring more people to our town, jobs will be created, and most importantly, the near-monopoly that the Co-op currently enjoys will be ended.

Do you work for them?

No I don't, although I did apply for a job at the one in Stockport a few years ago and even did a trial but never heard back from them!

I currently work in the centre of Marple.

rotten john

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM »
i am not the only one that dosnt want ANYTHING building on that land,they baught it as a collage/school if they cant run it as sutch then sell it on to a different collage/academy ? and the people/councillors should be telling them this,we shouldnt be disscussing what they can build or sell etc etc
we dont need/want anymore housing in marple we dont need anymore facts for that point just look at howmany houses are for sale in the area!.
we dont need or want another superstore in marple,i personally shop at the coop and iceland and the other smaller retailers,i dont care if asda/tesco will offer me cheeper food if it means building on hibbert lane i will pay the extra ty

Maria

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
Smithy166-my point exactly! Needs a constructive approach if we are to even have half a chance.