Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: What would be acceptable on the College site - Tesco related  (Read 11805 times)

Duke Fame

Re: What would be acceptable on the College site - Tesco related
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »
Can't SMBC assist with the Buxton lane development at all? 

Sadly, the government has cut council funding so drastically that some councils can't even do what they are legally obliged to do (e.g. mend holes in the road, provide adequate care for the elderly),  so there is little prospect of them being in a position to hand out money to anyone else. 

Correction Dave: The government has not increased funding at the unsustainable level that the last government introduced. That exaserpated the economic disaster that the Scottish PM oversaw.

Councils now have to look at their priorities and work a bit harder at delivering services rather than simply throw seemingly limitless tax-payer's money at problems. Coucils will need to adjust, they have been involved in providing services which have been non-core which need to be rolled back and then start concentrating on core services.

The answer to Maria's question is yes, they can make partnerships in providing services efficeiently.

sleepless

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »
i know the college needs to raise money, but if land in Marple is going to be sold on the basis that it simply goes to the highest bidder, then the planning committee becomes redundant and I will then build a 20ft high replica of Bruce Forsyth in my back garden - and possibly floodlight it.  The site would be ideal for a mixture of affordable housing, a family friendly pub and a decent leisure centre, interspersed with green areas and a children's play area.  (The play areas in the Memorial Park are always overcrowded.)  More people living locally would bring more business to the existing town centre.  A large supermarket will benefit "out of towners" who will put nothing back into our local community but exhaust fumes.

Adrian Taylor

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »
HelloAll,
Sorry about the mistake concerning the position of David Hoyle, he is not the Chairman of the Marple Business Forum. I'm standing on the naughty step as we speak !!
Adrian Taylor :o

Dave

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »
Can't SMBC assist with the Buxton lane development at all? 

Sadly, the government has cut council funding so drastically that some councils can't even do what they are legally obliged to do (e.g. mend holes in the road, provide adequate care for the elderly),  so there is little prospect of them being in a position to hand out money to anyone else. 

Dave

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
Regarding the rumour concerning the swimming bath demolition and adjacent shop, what rubbish, where do these rumours or “Marple whispers” come from?

It's actually quite simple: it has been generally accepted on this forum that the increase in traffic brought about by a new supermarket on Hibbert lane would necessitate road widening, notably between the Hibbert Lane/Church Lane roundabout and the Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road junction.  This would probably mean demolishing the unlovely building on the corner (newsagents), and/or the car showroom.  Someone has then extended this, quite wrongly of course, to the notion that the swimming pool might also have to go, and hey presto, another 'Marple Whisper' is born!

Miss Marple

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:57:24 PM »
Regarding the rumour concerning the swimming bath demolition and adjacent shop, what rubbish, where do these rumours or “Marple whispers” come from?

I think you may find you answer on this very forum ;-)

Where does the KFC / McD's rumour come from?
Wasn't a supermarket a rumour ?  :P

Duke Fame

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »

I think you may find you answer on this very forum ;-)

Where does the KFC / McD's rumour come from?

Miss Marple

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:10 PM »
David Hoyle the Chairman of Marple Business Forum

The Chairman of Marple Business Forum is Dave Bluff and has been for a couple of years.

David Hoyle currently does not hold an officers position in the Marple Business Forum although his business is a member and has been since its inception in 2001.
. David Hoyle is the Chairman of 'MARPLE IN ACTION' and a flipping good one at that !  I just think Adrian made a mistake because David never gave any indication that he was speaking for or on behalf of MBF he is our ACTION MAN !  And we want to keep him PLEASE  :'(

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:45 PM »
David Hoyle the Chairman of Marple Business Forum

The Chairman of Marple Business Forum is Dave Bluff and has been for a couple of years.

David Hoyle currently does not hold an officers position in the Marple Business Forum although his business is a member and has been since its inception in 2001.

Maria

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
A housing development or a retirement community like the apartments in Romiley with perhaps a small express store with limited opening hours? Or alternatively a leisure centre/gym?  I wonder whether it is possible to split the land up so a small express store is permitted but housing also-2 purchasers?

It is hard to think of an alternative that would give the college enough money to do what they want to do.  Can't SMBC assist with the Buxton lane development at all?  Surely with residential development and, if available, some assistance from SMBC the college would secure enough funds to redevelop the Buxton lane campus?  Surely they can 'shop around' (no pun intended!) to get the best deal in terms of contractors etc??

Just a thought...

Adrian Taylor

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
Re- The Residents response to the possibility of a Supermarket on   
       Hibbert Lane, Marple.
On Wednesday night of this week, the 27th. of July, I together with approximately 299 others attended Marple Area Committee. The meeting was to meet in the library but because of the numbers attending  the meeting was moved to the Senior Citizens Hall, then because the Hall is only licensed for 150 people the meeting was then adjourned to the park  and became open air meeting centred on the War Memorial.
The reason for such a turnout was to “reveal all” concerning the possibility of the building of a supermarket on  Hibbert Lane on a site currently owned by Cheadle Marple College.
The reasons for this sale was that the receipt for the sale would then be used to develop their Buxton Lane site, although there is a possibility that their site in Cheadle would also reap the rewards of such a sale.
Mr. Paul Lawrence was introduced, he is the service Director for SMBC Planning. He fielded all the questions from the gathered throng, councillors took little part in answering questions from the gathered throng.
He began explaining  that he fully understood the concerns of those who had gathered, a mixture of residents and shopkeepers in Marple.
He explained that the council would not consider an application for a substantial supermarket as acceptable as the Core Strategy plan has earmarked the site for housing only. Other uses might be considered but not for a supermarket as was being rumoured. In their report to council if the application was for a substantial supermarket development the recommendation would be to refuse.
A number of questions were asked including “Why can’t the council stop the sale to Tesco?”- the reply was given that SMBC cannot prevent the College selling the site to anyone.
“What about covenants?”- Answer was that the existence of any covenants was unknown.
“Has the College or Tesco spoken to SMBC to explore the future building of a supermarket?”- the answer was “No”.
David Hoyle the Chairman of Marple Business Forum took his place on the Memorial and stated that the college would sell the Hibbert Road site to Tesco and that he had been told by the College themselves that contracts would be signed in October.
Tesco would then submit a planning application after the sale.
He was convinced of this after he and others had met with the college to explore their intentions, in particular stating that a sale for housing rather than to a supermarket giant would not produce the receipt the college needed for developing their site on Buxton Lane.
The money required could not be obtained from government because of the current economic state of the nation which of course is the fault of the last government. How does Gordon Brown sleep at night?
A number of those present felt that the Council would not be able to resist the pressure that TTesco would exert and that the Council would give in eventually and that Tesco would win any appeal if their Application was refused- such is the perceived power of Tesco.
The gathering was basically unhappy with the responses given by SMBC and many felt that the supermarket development will happen whatever resistance is offered, confidence is low.
A recent leaflet urged residents to attend this meeting, stating that Andrew Stunell MP would also be present, Andrew is also patron of Marple Civic Society. He did not attend of course, no doubt another more pressing engagement.
As to my own opinion of this proposed sale to a supermarket chain, of course it should not happen. Any development of this nature will do nothing for Marple District Shopping centre and many of the existing shops would fail. Retailing is a fragile business at the best of times and certainly the pressure of a Tesco Supermarket would create a shop desert. There are several empty shops now with little prospect of a permanent tenant. Such an impact is grounds enough for a planning refusal, let alone the fact the development is against policy.
The key to this is to persuade somehow that the college does not sell to a supermarket giant, how that can be achieved is unknown at present, given the college’s own aspiration.
There is a loss of confidence in the council’s ability to fend of the pressure of Tesco, but what I do know writing as a former chair of planning myself that Stockport does have the right calibre of officers to defend any  planning decision forthcoming.
So have faith dear residents and support your local council.
If Tesco are to buy a “pig in a poke” who know’s they may develop the site themselves as a housing site.
Although the prospect of an open prison to be constructed along Longhurst Lane in fields at the rear of the Conservative Club with an adjacent Macdonalds together with a KFC, worries me intensely.
I am Chairman of Marple Community Council as well as being a former SMBC councillor and Chair of Planning for a number of years, so I may claim to know a little of what is going on.
 I and my committee will of course support this Community  We were advised of the councils policy concerning the use of the land a few months ago, so I heard nothing new from SMBC on Wednesday night.
However I did return home on Wednesday night wishing that the Community had shown the same resolve concerning their response to the proposed closure of public toilets here in Marple, but of course the vested interests are  different .
Adrian Taylor

JMC

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »
Being realistic, though, can anything compete with Tesco?

marpudlian

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »
a favorite on here is usually..

"Tea Room"

I think Seventeen Windows had it, Park Keepers cottage did, Iron Bridge cottage... etc.

::)

A tea room was proposed for the British Waterways building next to the canal too - there are already more than enough cafes in Marple!  ;D

bat man

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »
Concrete cows like the ones in Miltonkeynes.... :P

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
a favorite on here is usually..

"Tea Room"

I think Seventeen Windows had it, Park Keepers cottage did, Iron Bridge cottage... etc.

::)
I think spearment rhino is more realistic