Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: New thread - gathering facts re Marple supermarket  (Read 30324 times)

Miss Marple

Re: New thread - gathering facts re Marple supermarket
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:55:58 PM »
Yes Cat Woman that's useful but we must not forget that a supermarket like Tesco can just purchase the land.  No one not even the LA can stop anyone from purchasing the land and just sitting on it until they either get planning permission or residents demand someting is done because the site is in a state of disrepair this is the worrying part of all this.

Catwoman

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
Hi Neil,

A great idea - can I add a few bits for your list:

A small group of concerned residents emailed Cllr Sue Ingham last week to ask for clarification/confirmation about the sale of Hibbert Lane Campus, and asking her as Chair of the Area Committee for copies of documents including minutes, reports, papers and presentation pertaining to the potential sale, particularly pertaining to discussions with Turner & Townsend and Walsingham Planning.
We also requested copies of any documents relating to the historic ownership of the land and transfer of ownership to the college, if the land was purchased or gifted, by whom, when and under what circumstances, details of any covenants etc.
This was sent on Monday 18-6-11 before the Governors meeting was held (we didn't know the Governors meeting was about to be held!).

This is response we received:

Thank you for your email on behalf of the Concerned Residents Group.  I understand your concerns and appreciate your wish to clarify the situation.

It is true that the College intend to sell the Hibbert Lane Campus and as an independent commercial organisation they are free to do whatever they believe is in the College’s best interest and the Council has no jurisdiction in that respect.  As I understand it they have been in talks with various supermarkets and developers, but nothing has been agreed at this stage.

As far as planning permission goes, the Council Planning department is clear that the land in question is designated as housing.  No retail development would be given consent outside the District Centre. The Hibbert Lane campus falls outside the District Centre and therefore any a planning application to develop a retail site is likely to be refused.

You can request information about the land itself and any covenants that may exist under the Freedom of Information Act by going directly to the Council.  I would suggest speaking to Paul Lawrence in the first instance on 0161 474 4949 or paul.lawrence@stockport.gov.uk.

I do not have any documents pertaining to the potential sale of the Hibbert Lane Campus and am not privy to discussions about work commissioned by the College with Turner & Townsend Consultants and Walsingham Planning.  I will look into what, if any documentation the Council has to do with this and share it with you.

The Councillors have requested a meeting with The College to facilitate full and frank exchange of information and views.  We are as committed to finding a way forward and the best possible outcome for Marple as you are.  I will be happy to share any further information I get from this meeting with you.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kindest regards
Susan Ingham
Chair of Marple Area Committee

We responded with another question, asking if any meeting between the College and SMBC CE had taken place (as referred to in the college minutes) ..

The response was:
Yes a meeting has taken place some time ago.  Again I would suggest contacting Paul Lawrence as before for more information.

I phoned Paul Lawrence, who is Head of Regeneration for SMBC with my list of questions, but got nowhere, he side-stepped every question very neatly, then had to go. But he did say that he had had 'informal diaglogue' with Christina Cassidy the college principal, that the college needed to raise £10-£12m, that the advise the college received (presumably from their consultants) that the best way to refurbish the campus was to re-trench on Buxton Lane, that 'soft market testing' was being carried out by the college to see how and who would be willing to pay the amount of their shortfall. He reiterated that the site is not compliant for retail use because it is outside the District Centre and that a large supermarket would have to prove 'sequentiality' ie that there was not an alternative site within the District Centre.
Hope this helps

NeilCorrie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
Thanks Dave, revised list with your suggestions and addition of Andrew Stunell details below.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
Not a bad idea, Neil!  Two comments:

1.  The FOI request to SMBC re Dan Bank is not relevant to this issue.
2.  The meeting next week to which you refer must be the Marple Area Committee of Stockport Council which meets next Wednesday evening in Marple Library.  Source:post 276 of the Tesco thread.  I'm not aware that anyone from camsfc management or the local press will necessarily be there, but someone else may know otherwise. 

NeilCorrie

New thread - gathering facts re Marple supermarket
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:07:06 PM »
The existing thread is getting a little unwieldy, so could I suggest we use this one to gather the basic facts together, with source details ?  No opinion.  No rumours.  No conspiracy theories. No personal attacks.....

(Anyone just learning about this proposed development would have to wade through many pages of forum "jibber jabber" to glean the actual facts otherwise)

A "starter for ten" is below