Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: would you use Tesco / ASDA or any other supermarket if it came to marple .  (Read 39888 times)

cozg

I work full time and have very little time to shop. Like a lot of people i find the co-op has little selection and is expensive. I try to do a monthly on line shop at asda and go to the coop inbetween as I don't have time to spend half a day at the weekend going to a big supermarket somewhere else. So ironically for me - a big supermarket in Marple would be fantastic. Having said that I still oppose the idea as I think it would be the death knell for many of our small shops and therefore for the life blood of our village centre....

glover

I have to say that for someone who works full time and has a family, the existing Co Op does not 'help itself' in defending its standing as the main supermarket in Marple. I do not want Tesco in Marple, as I feel it would spoil a lovely village which has a well earned reputation for providing a more 'personal' shopping experience. My mother lives in a large town and when she visits she loves walking through the Derby Way and enjoying shops that she will not find near her.  She will buy from Littlewoods because of the customer care and the quality of products that the shop provides.  Unfortunately my experience of shopping at the Co op is tinged with frustration, lack of stock (especially Sundays) and a lack of customer care training cause frustration. I desperately want to support the Co Op, but the 'shopping experience' in the larger stores is just so much better.  This is not a reflection of the staff working there, but must reflect the difference in management/ training/ recruitment and the training opportunities for existing staff.  My point is that I think a lot more people would object to a large supermarket if the Co Op was serving the residents satisfactorily.

Lisa Oldham

Theres a request on the FB page for info on the website notice that the college were supposed to have put online the other day... ive had a look and cant find it can someone point me in the right direction please?  did anyone see it?

amazon

Age Concern , now Age UK are interested now re the vulnerability of the elderly around the area.  Which is great news ! The more the better I say !  Stockport as well as having responsibility re planning have a legal requirement in their duty of care for vulnerable adults and children in this case    So I'll  be alright then  ;D

Great. CREASTED NEWTS WERE SEEN CROSING THE ROAD TOWARDS THE RIDGE LAST NIGHT.
              in a tesco trolly .

moonforest

I have been speaking to a few more people in Marple and surprised that quite a few people are in favour of the supermarket. Some of the comments; one person said that it is Ok people objecting, they often have cars and internet access so they can make the choice to go somewhere cheaper, some people cannot and so have little choice but to use more expensive shops in the immeidiate area. Another one said she uses Tesco anyway so it won't make a difference. So it seems not everyone is against it, I would say of the people i have asked about 2/3 are against and 1/3 for it. I feel to get anywhere these kind of comments need addressing. If saving money is your primary objective and a cheaper shop is on the cards, what reason is there to convince them of it not being a good idea? Perhaps instead there should be more focus on traffic and things like that. When i mentioned traffic to someone in favour, she did seem to think again.

Same here. I was talking to someone who initially thought it was a good idea but when they thought about the impact on traffic they changed their minds and became firmly against it.

Lisa Oldham

i've met a lot that are for it... but there is only ONE reason they are for it and in my opinion  its not a good reason to build a potentially huge supermarket in the middle of a housing estate and suffer the consequences of even more traffic congestion.

The one and only reason being.. coop have a stranglehold on marple and they want to see it end and prices come down to reasonable levels. So we need to coop to act.  Is everyone writing to the coop?

JMC

I have been speaking to a few more people in Marple and surprised that quite a few people are in favour of the supermarket. Some of the comments; one person said that it is Ok people objecting, they often have cars and internet access so they can make the choice to go somewhere cheaper, some people cannot and so have little choice but to use more expensive shops in the immeidiate area. Another one said she uses Tesco anyway so it won't make a difference. So it seems not everyone is against it, I would say of the people i have asked about 2/3 are against and 1/3 for it. I feel to get anywhere these kind of comments need addressing. If saving money is your primary objective and a cheaper shop is on the cards, what reason is there to convince them of it not being a good idea? Perhaps instead there should be more focus on traffic and things like that. When i mentioned traffic to someone in favour, she did seem to think again.

Lisa Oldham

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one as i do not believe you are right at all

Ive dealt with many councils including stockport and supported lots of communities opposing planning legislation in the not so distant past so have a little knowledge in this area myself.

Miss Marple

tell me now how it affects a planning decision beyond safety?

It doesn't but it works alongside !  I am very limited to say too much on the site because people such as Ms Cassidy and Mr Hubert follow the threads ( Mr Hubert told me that  at our meeting ) I also know that our elected members , the press and other interested parties follow with interest.     Good night Ms Cassidy  :-*

Lisa Oldham

tell me now how it affects a planning decision beyond safety?

Miss Marple

duty of care re planning i would say means safety.. primarily road safety... making sure theres places to cross, enough space for cars, road wide enough etc etc.. all of which any planning app will cover. You can argue that there is a duty of care to feel safe in ones home.. something we used alot, however not being happy a supermarket is close to your home I doubt would fall into that category!

There is a moral duty of care of course.. however the legal system which ultimately any planning app will face via planning inspectorate  and maybe even judicial review doesnt give 2 hoots about morality.

It does however make very good media headlines  :) 
Now  were cooking !  My point exactly !   But believe me there is a duty to care in law, for once in my life I do know what I am talking about, I do it every working day   :o

Lisa Oldham

duty of care re planning i would say means safety.. primarily road safety... making sure theres places to cross, enough space for cars, road wide enough etc etc.. all of which any planning app will cover. You can argue that there is a duty of care to feel safe in ones home.. something we used alot, however not being happy a supermarket is close to your home I doubt would fall into that category!

There is a moral duty of care of course.. however the legal system which ultimately any planning app will face via planning inspectorate  and maybe even judicial review doesnt give 2 hoots about morality.

It does however make very good media headlines  :) 

Miss Marple

Age Concern , now Age UK are interested now re the vulnerability of the elderly around the area.  Which is great news ! The more the better I say !  Stockport as well as having responsibility re planning have a legal requirement in their duty of care for vulnerable adults and children in this case    So I'll  be alright then  ;D

Lisa Oldham

Actually Amazon.. what I'm saying is MOST will use it... I'm weak willed and incredibly lazy so I'll include myself in that too, maybe.. possibly... lets be honest its very likely most of us will... if it gets built.   My point was that tesco or whichever chain wants to buy it knows that too..