All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: would you use Tesco / ASDA or any other supermarket if it came to marple .  (Read 40226 times)

Smithy166

Its mad that anyone take Duke Fames obviously badly chosen but clearly sarky remark as offensive and ageist!  A lot of wasted energy has gone into it and his point has once again been lost.. His point is clear and i agree with it and it shouldn't be ignored.  The truth is we have to deal with factual not emotional information to stop any supermarket.  If they get the damn thing built it will be used(including by the elderly) it will be a success and it will make profit... ie they are not scared of us yet!

We have to have a well reasoned argument based totally and utterly on planning legislation to beat them if it gets to planning stage.  I personally believe it can be done however if we bring in the poor little elderly (of which many in Marple cant half still pack a punch intellectually if not physically!)  or the poor little children or any other poor little thing... then those arguments just wont wash.

We should stop jumping on each others antagonistic remarks and differences of opinions.. if we are on the same side - which i "think" duke is - then he just may well add a different but useful viewpoint to the central groups. we do need to cover ALL angles to win..
Well said.
This "war" can't be won by crying your eyes out like most other campagins have. We need to get our rears in gear, get organised and go at this not as individuals, but as a well oiled, well briefed, well disciplined, well equipped team. otherwise were going to come away from the battle with our collective tail between our legs.
Apologises duke. :)

Duke Fame

Its mad that anyone take Duke Fames obviously badly chosen but clearly sarky remark as offensive and ageist!  A lot of wasted energy has gone into it and his point has once again been lost.. His point is clear and i agree with it and it shouldn't be ignored.  The truth is we have to deal with factual not emotional information to stop any supermarket.  If they get the damn thing built it will be used(including by the elderly) it will be a success and it will make profit... ie they are not scared of us yet!

We have to have a well reasoned argument based totally and utterly on planning legislation to beat them if it gets to planning stage.  I personally believe it can be done however if we bring in the poor little elderly (of which many in Marple cant half still pack a punch intellectually if not physically!)  or the poor little children or any other poor little thing... then those arguments just wont wash.

We should stop jumping on each others antagonistic remarks and differences of opinions.. if we are on the same side - which i "think" duke is - then he just may well add a different but useful viewpoint to the central groups. we do need to cover ALL angles to win..

Exactly the point, the fight will not be won on a trip down memory lane.

amazon

Its mad that anyone take Duke Fames obviously badly chosen but clearly sarky remark as offensive and ageist!  A lot of wasted energy has gone into it and his point has once again been lost.. His point is clear and i agree with it and it shouldn't be ignored.  The truth is we have to deal with factual not emotional information to stop any supermarket.  If they get the damn thing built it will be used(including by the elderly) it will be a success and it will make profit... ie they are not scared of us yet!

We have to have a well reasoned argument based totally and utterly on planning legislation to beat them if it gets to planning stage.  I personally believe it can be done however if we bring in the poor little elderly (of which many in Marple cant half still pack a punch intellectually if not physically!)  or the poor little children or any other poor little thing... then those arguments just wont wash.

There are a lot of people would like and alternative to the coop and not have to go to bredbury or hazel grove ,your asuming that if its  ever built do you mean to tell me no one from marple will go . just to save some shops i dont think so .

Belly

Well said Lisa.

Lisa Oldham

Smithy166

Your ageist remarks are not welcome and for your information, most of the elderly around that college site were born bred and worked in our mill industry I KNOW !  I understand that you are to new to the area and possibly do  not understand that we are a strong close nit community going back many generations and that we all really know one another,  one way or another   Most people would aspire to retire in the country after a life time of working so why oh why would you think that our elderly locals deserve to live in such close proximity to a huge commercial operation  MARPLE people have always welcomed new people into our community but there is  always is an exception
It's not agist at all, we all get old at some point, I have a father who is older than me so I know. I was
simply making the point that a supermarket on Hibbert  lane could actually be a benefit to the elderly

Hibbert Lane rather than a hindrance. As eyesores go, a store is not going to be as intrusive as say the mills

once were  also think it's irrelevant that I'm not local, I'm local now
  ???

Just out of question, have you ever seen "elderly" people shopping? They don't just go to the nearest place because they "don't have to walk as far" they go to make a day of it, they go because they can talk to people, stop at a nice shop for a coffee and a chat with friends.
Also, just for the record, my names dan, Marjorie.
Yes when the mills were built they were an eyesore, but now they are accepted, and they give this village something that many places don't have.

So much so that they knocked it down , Marge.

I'm simply makeingg the point that the lederly card isn't going to work as any supermarket will spin the supermarket as a benefit not a hinderence.

Ever heard of the goyt mill? giant red thing in hawk green, can't miss it.
and how do you know that the supermarket is going to spin things around? As far as i'm concerned were going to need every trick in the book if were going to win this thing, and were going to need to put every "card" into play. otherwise were going to get shot down like most other places that have opposed supermarkets being built!

Duke Fame

Your ageist remarks are not welcome and for your information, most of the elderly around that college site were born bred and worked in our mill industry I KNOW !  I understand that you are to new to the area and possibly do  not understand that we are a strong close nit community going back many generations and that we all really know one another,  one way or another   Most people would aspire to retire in the country after a life time of working so why oh why would you think that our elderly locals deserve to live in such close proximity to a huge commercial operation  MARPLE people have always welcomed new people into our community but there is  always is an exception
It's not agist at all, we all get old at some point, I have a father who is older than me so I know. I was
simply making the point that a supermarket on Hibbert  lane could actually be a benefit to the elderly

Hibbert Lane rather than a hindrance. As eyesores go, a store is not going to be as intrusive as say the mills

???

Just out of question, have you ever seen "elderly" people shopping? They don't just go to the nearest place because they "don't have to walk as far" they go to make a day of it, they go because they can talk to people, stop at a nice shop for a coffee and a chat with friends.
Yes when the mills were built they were an eyesore, but now they are accepted, and they give this village something that many places don't have.

So much so that they knocked it down , Marge.

I'm simply makeingg the point that the lederly card isn't going to work as any supermarket will spin the supermarket as a benefit not a hinderence.

Smithy166

???

Miss Marple

???

Duke Fame

Your ageist remarks are not welcome and for your information, most of the elderly around that college site were born bred and worked in our mill industry I KNOW !  I understand that you are to new to the area and possibly do  not understand that we are a strong close nit community going back many generations and that we all really know one another,  one way or another   Most people would aspire to retire in the country after a life time of working so why oh why would you think that our elderly locals deserve to live in such close proximity to a huge commercial operation  MARPLE people have always welcomed new people into our community but there is  always is an exception

It's not agist at all, we all get old at some point, I have a father who is older than me so I know. I was simply making the point that a supermarket onHibbert lane could actually be a benefit to the elderly on Hibbert Lane rather than a hindrance. As eyesores go, a store is not going to be as intrusive as say the mills once were.

I also think it's irrelevant that I'm not local, I'm local now.

Miss Marple

Your ageist remarks are not welcome and for your information, most of the elderly around that college site were born bred and worked in our mill industry I KNOW !  I understand that you are to new to the area and possibly do  not understand that we are a strong close nit community going back many generations and that we all really know one another,  one way or another   Most people would aspire to retire in the country after a life time of working so why oh why would you think that our elderly locals deserve to live in such close proximity to a huge commercial operation  MARPLE people have always welcomed new people into our community but there is  always is an exception

Duke Fame

Honest answers please some of you have said you shop regularly in Marple but not for your main shop
 would you use tesco or any other supermarket if it came to Marple .
Yes
Yes !   I am not against any supermarket but not on Hibbert Lane where most of our elderly residents live in the bungalows and across the road in flats

That's quite a good point, having a shop too close will mean the elderly don't get enough exercise

I understand the need for debate, but that david was uncalled for.

It's Duke Fame, Marjorie.

I'm really saying that the argument that we're doing this for the elderly isn't going to wash. Having a shop closer for the elderly could be a feather in the cap for any supermaket coming into the site.

Smithy166

Honest answers please some of you have said you shop regularly in Marple but not for your main shop
Yes
Yes !   I am not against any supermarket but not on Hibbert Lane where most of our elderly residents live in the bungalows and across the road in flats

That's quite a good point, having a shop too close will mean the elderly don't get enough exercise

I understand the need for debate, but that david was uncalled for.

Miss Marple

Yes
Yes !   I am not against any supermarket but not on Hibbert Lane where most of our elderly residents live in the bungalows and across the road in flats
[/quote
Re your ignorant and ageist remarks Duke Fame
You are beyond belief ! Most of the elderly I am referring to can not walk and are reliant on others to wash dress, feed and shop for them!  

Duke Fame

Yes
Yes !   I am not against any supermarket but not on Hibbert Lane where most of our elderly residents live in the bungalows and across the road in flats