Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Swimming Pool and Library (split from Tesco Topic)  (Read 7232 times)

BidingTime

Re: Swimming Pool and Library (split from Tesco Topic)
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
There are 3 gyms in Marple.

There is no Health Club in Marple open nearly 24/7 with unrestricted access to a gym,swimmimg pool,various other facilities,classes etc all under one roof.
This was my original point..

marpudlian

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
There are 3 gyms in Marple.

Duke Fame

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
Have lived in Marple for many years,in my view one of its two major disadvantages(the other one for me is no direct trains to Stockport) is the lack of a health club like a David Lloyd or Virgin.
I went for a swim a few weeks ago at Marple Pool after a few years of not going and was asked "was i a member"...a member of what ?? apparently the cheapest option is £22 a month with an "offer" of £1 to join,at least at a Private club i would be able to go for a swim when i wanted (not be restricted by a timetable) have access to state of the art equipment in a properly equipped spacious gym,exercise classes in one place and many other facilities ?? many times i want to go for a swim or to the gym but Marple pool is either closed completely or closed to adults.

Maybe the Hibbert Lane Campus would be an ideal site and i for one would be absolutely DELIGHTED to spend a few ££ more than £22 (maybe even less) a month to have a David Lloyd or Virgin within a mile or so,why should places like Cheadle/Bramhall have 3 or 4 private clubs within reach and Marple have none ?? are we not all supposed to be trying to live healthier,fitter lives and you can only really do that if you have facilities within easy reach almost 24/7 to enable most people to do that.
I think it's a decent point but David Lloyd etc can only decide for themselves which centres they build & where demand is.
There is also a bit of an issue for them where stockport sports trust concerned. In Reddish, the Kingfisher health club operates out of one of the mills, it’s privately run and the owners put up their own cash to set the thing up. 3 years later, up pops Stockport Sports Trust with it’s public funding and opens a gym & Astroturf centre across the road. It doesn’t encourage private investment when a Quango can ruin business with he backing of the local council.
The likes of David Lloyd will not pay £12m for the site (rumoured figure on offer from the supermarkets) however, if the objection to a big supermarket is backed up with a suggestion of what is acceptable i.e. for me a small supermarket, Gym / leisure centre & housing – a developer may just like the idea of that and so would the college.

BidingTime

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
Have lived in Marple for many years,in my view one of its two major disadvantages(the other one for me is no direct trains to Stockport) is the lack of a health club like a David Lloyd or Virgin.
I went for a swim a few weeks ago at Marple Pool after a few years of not going and was asked "was i a member"...a member of what ?? apparently the cheapest option is £22 a month with an "offer" of £1 to join,at least at a Private club i would be able to go for a swim when i wanted (not be restricted by a timetable) have access to state of the art equipment in a properly equipped spacious gym,exercise classes in one place and many other facilities ?? many times i want to go for a swim or to the gym but Marple pool is either closed completely or closed to adults.

Maybe the Hibbert Lane Campus would be an ideal site and i for one would be absolutely DELIGHTED to spend a few ££ more than £22 (maybe even less) a month to have a David Lloyd or Virgin within a mile or so,why should places like Cheadle/Bramhall have 3 or 4 private clubs within reach and Marple have none ?? are we not all supposed to be trying to live healthier,fitter lives and you can only really do that if you have facilities within easy reach almost 24/7 to enable most people to do that.

Harry

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm told its usually £30 to become a member, but there is an offer at the moment to join for £1. Perhaps the £30 fee is not very popular.

ericthehamster

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
I don't use the gym, only the swimming pool - would it be possible to drop in and use the swimming pool at a private facility?

Taurus

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
I'm a member at Marple gym and when I joined membership was free and you just go and pay whenever you want to use it (this is before Target Life came to Marple)

Harry

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
Fair comment, but you can use the public facilities on a "as and when" basis rather than having to join - do private sports clubs/health clubs offer the same "drop in" facility to non-members?

I understand that in order to use the gym facilities at both Marple and Romiley swimming pools then you have to be a member. There is no 'drop in' allowed.

ericthehamster

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
Fair comment, but you can use the public facilities on a "as and when" basis rather than having to join - do private sports clubs/health clubs offer the same "drop in" facility to non-members?

Duke Fame

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
I use all the local amenities, and think we are lucky to have them - centralisation isn't necessarily a good thing, and just increases congestion and carbon footprint.

Private clubs would put these facilities beyond the reach of a lot of people - a lot of us probably don't qualify for assistance (subsidies etc), but would still find membership of these clubs prohibitive.

That's a big assumption, the private club I was a member is cheaper than the council subsidised one I use now.

ericthehamster

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
I use all the local amenities, and think we are lucky to have them - centralisation isn't necessarily a good thing, and just increases congestion and carbon footprint.

Private clubs would put these facilities beyond the reach of a lot of people - a lot of us probably don't qualify for assistance (subsidies etc), but would still find membership of these clubs prohibitive.

Duke Fame

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Stockport Sports Trust was established on 1st April 2002 as a not for profit social enterprise company and registered charity. In simple terms, we promise that every penny we make will be invested back into our local communities to make them a better place to live.

We seek at all times to provide a best value service in all areas of the Borough, and are extremely focused on promoting our facilities to families and individuals of all ages and backgrounds and this is reflected in our mission statement.

“To enrich the lives of the people of Stockport and the communities that they live in by providing a best value service in Sport, Health and Leisure without compromise.”

We operate and run a very extensive mix of sports and leisure facilities across Stockport, ranging from small community recreation centres to large multi-use state of the art leisure centres. We operate a social inclusive approach to ensure equality of opportunity for all sectors of our local communities and we openly value diversity so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of participating in sports and leisure activities.

On top of my council tax, I've started to pay monthly to use these facilities.. and they are worth EVERY penny.

http://www.sportinstockport.com/index.asp

I do too simply through the locations suite where i live & workplaces.

It is quite a digrace that they opened a gym in Holdsworth village (although I use it). They opened bang opposite the kingfisher which
someone has risked it all to open.

Harry

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
Its having facilities like the swimming pool and library that makes Marple a good place to live and raise a family. We are also very lucky to have a theatre and a cinema.

I wasn't born in these parts, I chose to live here, and its things like these that helped make that decision easy.

Tricky

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »
Stockport Sports Trust was established on 1st April 2002 as a not for profit social enterprise company and registered charity. In simple terms, we promise that every penny we make will be invested back into our local communities to make them a better place to live.

We seek at all times to provide a best value service in all areas of the Borough, and are extremely focused on promoting our facilities to families and individuals of all ages and backgrounds and this is reflected in our mission statement.

“To enrich the lives of the people of Stockport and the communities that they live in by providing a best value service in Sport, Health and Leisure without compromise.”

We operate and run a very extensive mix of sports and leisure facilities across Stockport, ranging from small community recreation centres to large multi-use state of the art leisure centres. We operate a social inclusive approach to ensure equality of opportunity for all sectors of our local communities and we openly value diversity so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of participating in sports and leisure activities.

On top of my council tax, I've started to pay monthly to use these facilities.. and they are worth EVERY penny.

http://www.sportinstockport.com/index.asp

meh

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »

And I use the swimming pool twice a week, but I realise not many people will agree with me when I say I would like to see Marple swimming baths and also Marple library close. Better to have one big central pool (and library too) instead of lots of small ones that are losing money.

Yes Marpudlian, you are right. I've seen the light.

Close all the regional swimming pools and libraries, and just have one big one of each in London.

After all, our young people don't need to know how to swim or read, do they?

I meant it would be better to have just one library and one pool in Stockport, instead of god knows how many that cost public money. Council tax could then be reduced.

I think we know what you meant but the argument is still valid. Your early morning swim (I possibly bump into you on a Weds & Thur) would not really be possible if you had to go to Stockport first and then get to work.  I’d admit we are fairly lucky in having a pool here & in nearby Romily.

You are also correct in saying the cost (to the council) is rather high but that stems from the council being pretty rubbish at running things (all councils &  Quangos are the same, not just ours). The obvious answer would be to encourage a David Lloyd / Virgin etc to buy a local site to put in a health club (anyone aware of a site, roughly the size of the College unused lawn area) . The council can pay the club to offer a socially advantageous side i.e school kids, Disabled & elderly & swimming club. The operator then can operate in it’s own professional way which tends to deliver what people want far beyond the capabilities of a local authority.