Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Swimming Pool and Library (split from Tesco Topic)  (Read 7236 times)

JMC

Re: Swimming Pool and Library (split from Tesco Topic)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Well, I for one am very grateful that we have a swimming pool and a library in Marple.

I have used the swimming pool and library with all of my children. Without these amenities, my children may have been unable to learn to swim. Not everybody has a car or can drive. People with more than one toddler (eg. twins or large families) may find it impossible to use the bus and it is expensive if you have several children. The public swim on a saturday is great for the 10-12 or so year old kids to go on their own as they are just getting independence and can meet friends for a swim and then go to the shops. Mine really benefitted from this.

One of the great things about Marple is the range of local amenities. Many elderly people and young families rely on the library and swimming pool. To close either would be a terrible loss.

marpudlian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »

And I use the swimming pool twice a week, but I realise not many people will agree with me when I say I would like to see Marple swimming baths and also Marple library close. Better to have one big central pool (and library too) instead of lots of small ones that are losing money.

Yes Marpudlian, you are right. I've seen the light.

Close all the regional swimming pools and libraries, and just have one big one of each in London.

After all, our young people don't need to know how to swim or read, do they?

I meant it would be better to have just one library and one pool in Stockport, instead of god knows how many that cost public money. Council tax could then be reduced.

Harry

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »

And I use the swimming pool twice a week, but I realise not many people will agree with me when I say I would like to see Marple swimming baths and also Marple library close. Better to have one big central pool (and library too) instead of lots of small ones that are losing money.

Yes Marpudlian, you are right. I've seen the light.

Close all the regional swimming pools and libraries, and just have one big one of each in London.

After all, our young people don't need to know how to swim or read, do they?

marpudlian

Swimming Pool and Library (split from Tesco Topic)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
In response to 'marpudlian' ........

More council housing is not the answer, this would only create problems for our community.  Affordable housing is what is required, this would enable the young families of Marple to stay in Marple and bring their own children up here.

How can you say that the swimming pool is a drain on resources....... do you go often?  Every morning the 3 or 4 local primary schools use the pool to provide swimming lessons for the children.  Most afternoons the pool operates swimming lesssons, most having waiting lists.  During the day there are swimtots and public swimming for everyone and as a user of the pool I can confirm that these sessions are well attended.  Within the swimming pool complex there is also a VERY well attended gym.  There are sessions for all ages and persons rehabilitating from injuries etc attending both the pool and gym.

I for one, feel that there are many benefits to living in Marple, we have our own cinema, we have our own shopping centre, we have parks and canals, we have our own swimming pool and all these places make Marple a great place to live.   Whilst I agree that the pool probably does cost more to run than it should do, that's simply down to poor management from the local authority as a little money spent every year would have helped to keep it in a good state of repair, instead of it now needing a total overhaul.  The pool creates a place to meet for many and I often see people during the day sitting having a coffee after they've been for a swim.

As for building a TESCO in Marple -  I would strongly object to this.  I agree that competition is good for retailers, but it would kill off many retailers on Market Street and I doubt would have a huge impact on the Coop.  I wish the Coop hadn't moved across the road to Hollins Lane from Market Street, as this split peoples shopping habits and took custom off the retailers on Market Street.  I use Tesco for my main shop but am happy to go to Stockport or Handforth or use internet shopping rather than have one on my doorstep with the additional traffic it would bring into Marple.

How would more council housing create more problems? It would bring more people to Marple to support the local businesses that some people on here think will be put out of business sooner or later.

And I use the swimming pool twice a week, but I realise not many people will agree with me when I say I would like to see Marple swimming baths and also Marple library close. Better to have one big central pool (and library too) instead of lots of small ones that are losing money. There are more important things to spend public money on, like our elderly folks, who are facing big cuts to many aspects of their lives.