Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Is Hawk Green in Marple?  (Read 3206 times)

Dave

Re: Is Hawk Green in Marple?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »
Marple is a big area, including Strines, High Lane, Hawk Green, Compstall, and Marple Bridge.  See
http://maps.stockport.gov.uk/internet/councilanddemocracy/   The map shows the two wards, Marple North and Marple South, on the right.

(Hope that link works!)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
'Marple' covers quite a large area and also includes High lane.
Originally there were two hamlets, Hawk Green and Norbury Smithy ( where the Jolly Sailor used to be) around where the Texaco garage is.
But this all changed with the arrival of Samuel Oldknow in the late 1700s.
Marple Bridge was separate as it was in Derbyshire until the county broudary changed in the 1930s. Then it became part of Marple.
A bit off thread but my father used to recount the story of drinkers in the Midland piling out at closing time and charging over the bridge into the Norfolk, "chucking out" time in Cheshire being 1/2 a hour before chucking out time in Derbyshire.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
ooo brave comments here.. I wouldn't DARE suggest to a Marple Bridge person that they were just "a part of Marple"!!  :D

Howard

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »
The name 'Ludworth' goes back many centuries.

My view is that 'Marple Bridge' is relatively new, probably only 2 or 3 hundred years, and is so called because it is where there is a bridge that leads to Marple.

You can check on the ORIGINAL Domesday map. Ludworth and Romiley were the nearest places to Marple, which is not mentioned. Here is the link to Ludworth:
http://www.domesdaymap.co.uk/place/SJ9790/ludworth/

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
Hawk Green appeared to become part of Marple due to 'estate agent speak' a few years ago.  Probably at the time when house prices were better in Marple than HG (or am I unduly cynical?)   :D

tonyjones

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
The name 'Ludworth' goes back many centuries.

My view is that 'Marple Bridge' is relatively new, probably only 2 or 3 hundred years, and is so called because it is where there is a bridge that leads to Marple.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
Originally there were two hamlets, Hawk Green and Norbury Smithy ( where the Jolly Sailor used to be) around where the Texaco garage is.
Marple Bridge was separate as it was in Derbyshire until the county broudary changed in the 1930s. Then it became part of Marple.
                 So Which of marple Bridge  is ludworth [ ludworth school ] example .

tonyjones

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
My birth certificate says, when and where born, May 1939 Diamond Terrace Marple.   Ray

marpudlian

Is Hawk Green in Marple?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:30:30 AM »
Some people say that Hawk Green is an integral part of Marple, whereas others say it is a spearate village, like Marple Bridge is. Someone even told me that it used to be "independent" but is now in Marple.  ;D

Is Hawk Green in Marple?  ???

YES or NO.