Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Seven Stiles Allotment Site  (Read 3036 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Seven Stiles Allotment Site
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
The last two bradshaw-Isherwoods were Christopher and Richard.
Christopher never married and died in 1986.
I am not sure when Richard died but niether of them showed  any interest in Marple Hall or Wybersley Hall.
Sadly, Dick Isherwood was away with the fairies for many years before his death and had little care for himself never mind his property. It seems that well before the end there was no money worth speaking of.

coops

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
The seven stiles I walked and is still their was from Bowden Lane round the back of the cricket ground through the allotments which is now Stiles Avenue across Ashwood Crescent onto Grosvenor Road then over the canal turn right and come out just above Marple Station on Brabyns Brow there were seven stiles as children we used to count them. Ray.

I agree with this Ray, I used the last two every day 1952-1962...walking from Glen Cottage to Ludworth Primary School for the first five years and later to get the train from Marple Station to Hyde.
As a matter of further note my father Les Cooper was the ticket office clerk at Marple Station during all of those years!

tonyjones

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 04:26:42 PM »
The last two bradshaw-Isherwoods were Christopher and Richard.
Christopher never married and died in 1986.
I am not sure when Richard died but niether of them showed  any interest in Marple Hall or Wybersley Hall.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
The seven stiles I walked and is still their was from Bowden Lane round the back of the cricket ground through the allotments which is now Stiles Avenue across Ashwood Crescent onto Grosvenor Road then over the canal turn right and come out just above Marple Station on Brabyns Brow there were seven stiles as children we used to count them. Ray.

marpudlian

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
Are there still any Bradshaw-Isherwoods in Marple or are they all deceased?

tonyjones

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
Evelyn Bradshaw-Isherewood died, aged 85, in November 1985. As far as it is known the two plots of land that make up the allotment site between Oakdene Road and Manor Hill road are the only plots of land in Marple still owned by the Bradshaw-Isherwood family.

I was told by a lady who once lived at The Grange (Bowden House/Psychology House etc.) that there were seven stiles in the field adjacent to The Grange.

Basementlife

Seven Stiles Allotment Site
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
Whilst trying in vain, to discover 'owt about the possible Tesco invasion of Marple, I happened upon the
details of the meeting of Marple Area Committee Wednesday, 25th May, 2011 6.00 pm.

Item 10 on http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=138&MID=322

This deals with a danger to the continued use of the allotments on Seven Stiles.

quoting "2.3 The land on which the allotment site is located was owned by the
Bradshaw –Isherwood family who were major landowners in the area. It
was then leased to the Council for what is now a nominal figure.
Following the recent death of a member of the Bradshaw - Isherwood
family the beneficiaries under the will who are three charities have
expressed an interest in selling the site of the allotments."

As a matter of interest is Seven Stiles derived from an old footpath that did indeed have Seven Stiles ?