Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701814 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1718 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »
What can MIA do about it?  

They campaign to make people aware and petition etc but it is for the council to decide and failing that if it is referred on, the planning bods deal with it.  Public opiniong is considered but is by no means deciding factor.

Maria, there cannot be a man,woman nor child in Marple that is not aware of the Asda situation. Public awareness is at its highest. What are you going to do with this petition when you've compiled it ?   Who will you give it to ? What will they do with it ?

sgk

Miss Marple

« Reply #1716 on: July 03, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »
ASDA have had a good psychologist  preparing that  questionnaire do they think we are stupid ?  They all appear to be trick questions leading to their desired answer.   Nice try ASDA  ;)

Maria

« Reply #1715 on: July 03, 2012, 11:59:22 PM »
What can MIA do about it? 

They campaign to make people aware and petition etc but it is for the council to decide and failing that if it is referred on, the planning bods deal with it.  Public opiniong is considered but is by no means deciding factor.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1714 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:23 PM »
My heart goes out to all those living around the area.  Who would want a supermarket opposite their home or a roundabout outside their front door.   MIA action line has had concerned residents from the Rosehill, Cross Lane, Church Lane,  Edwards way and Brindley Ave  area worried about their streets / roads  becoming 'Rat Runs'. MIA have no information about traffic or redevelopment of roads although we suspect they will be known to planning

What does MIA plan to do about it ?

Maria

« Reply #1713 on: July 03, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »
Simone, we don't.  I never said they would.

sgk

« Reply #1712 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
Its not misinformation solely that concerns people I think it is that MiA tries to make it appear that in some way they speak for the people of Marple, are indeed representative. We have elected Councillors who went to the trouble of getting elected who fill that role they are who we should be working through not a group who clearly do not enjoy the confidence of many local people and whom a number of might as local traders be seen as having their own personal agenda.

The moment councillors speak out for or against such a development means they are prejudiced and therefore unable to take part in further council debates on the matter.  Crazy, but them's the rules.  So kinda precludes them from any campaigning (for or against a development) on your behalf.

Instead, take a look at the Tescopoly : Local campaigns against supermarkets or Tescopoly : Take Action site.  The advice given there is to form a campaign group.

Or take a look at the Friends Of The Earth "How to…oppose a supermarket planning application" paper.  The advice given there is to form a campaign group.

Or take a look at the Supermarkets and the Planning System : Understanding the planning system site.  The advice given there is to form a campaign group.

Or take a look at the CHECKOUT CHUCKOUT: A DIY Guide to Opposing Supermarket Developments site.  The advice given there is to form a campaign group.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1711 on: July 03, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »
Not really as 3 have not said anything as yet. 

The council have confirmed it can be determined at an area meeting.

How do we know that the outstanding three will not support Asda ?

Maria

« Reply #1710 on: July 03, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Fair enough Wheels.  I don't personally feel they have bullied people from what I have seen passing the tent.

Essentially it is clearly an emotive topic which will mean some, myself included sometimes, will become quite passionate about it.

wheels

« Reply #1709 on: July 03, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree with the objectives just the bullying and hectoring way they have gone about it and the very clear self interest of a number of their leading members.

Maria

« Reply #1708 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
Elected persons cannot get too involved as they cannot vote in any subsequent consultation.

MIA is not, as I understand it, a bunch of business people, but people from all walks of life who are concerned about the future of Marple. 

I also think the amount of support they have had is astounding and the petition signatures prove it-nearly all are from those within Marple.  MIA purports to represent those who have confirmed their support for MIA who are in the majority people of Marple.   

Slightly pedantic to pull them up on it in all honesty, there is another campaign you could join if you wanted to. 

wheels

« Reply #1707 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »
Its not misinformation solely that concerns people I think it is that MiA tries to make it appear that in some way they speak for the people of Marple, are indeed representative. We have elected Councillors who went to the trouble of getting elected who fill that role they are who we should be working through not a group who clearly do not enjoy the confidence of many local people and whom a number of might as local traders be seen as having their own personal agenda.

Maria

« Reply #1706 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »
I would be interested to know what misinformation MIA have spread?  If people mean the swimming baths being demolished etc this was never put out by MIA.  6 football pitches could fit on the site to be developed.  Buxton lane campus is being developed upwards. 

I am not trying to defend MIA but in all honesty they have tried to give us what information they can when they get it.  Other people who choose to comment on here, as I do, do so of their own free will and not on behalf of or for MIA. There are comments on here that are speculation but looking back they have not been that far off the mark even for those 'spreading gossip'!  Almost everyone on the forum is guilty to some extent.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1705 on: July 03, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
My heart goes out to all those living around the area.  Who would want a supermarket opposite their home or a roundabout outside their front door.   MIA action line has had concerned residents from the Rosehill, Cross Lane, Church Lane,  Edwards way and Brindley Ave  area worried about their streets / roads  becoming 'Rat Runs'. MIA have no information about traffic or redevelopment of roads although we suspect they will be known to planning

Maria

« Reply #1704 on: July 03, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »
Not really as 3 have not said anything as yet. 

The council have confirmed it can be determined at an area meeting.