Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701801 times)

wheels

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1703 on: July 03, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Difficult for Area Committee to make a decison in this case Miss M as so many of its members have spoken out against it and have therefore excluded themselves from the decision making process.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1702 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
 An Area Committee cannot approve a planning application which is deemed to be against policy. So if the application is against policy, and for whatever reason either Officers or Area Committee Members wish to support it, it will need to go to Planning and Highways for determination. However the Area Committee can simply refuse the application if it is contrary to policy without further reference.

The other factor is size. If the application is more than 5000m sq floorspace, or greater than 3 hectares in area, then it must go to Planning and Highways Committee.

I hope this is clear. The following link might be helpful in explaining the position further

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2994/developmentcontrol/delegationofplanningapps.    :-\

jethroh65

« Reply #1701 on: July 03, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
In the ASDA document, it states that it will be "slightly" bigger than the Co-op.
25,000 sq ft sales area as opposed to 17,000 sq ft.
My maths isn't brilliant but that is just less than 50% bigger, so a bit more than slightly bigger.

The questionnaire on the back is an embarrassment. 

For Example.

5 Would the residents have of Marple like cheaper petrol ? No we would like it more expensive if possible please, at least £1.50 a Litre.

6. Asda will safe guard the open space. They have no choice in that do they?               

There is no mention of a Pharmacy as mentioned in previous posts.

I have posted my comments regarding the "alleged" reduction traffic on more than one occasion.
Asda say they only think it will reduce traffic!!!I still disagree.

"Local towns have thrived when a new supermarket has been built".

Bredbury hasn't thrived since Morrisons was built, Bredbury has no centre, there is just more Traffic Jams which are caused by people driving through it partly to get to & from Morrisons.
Hyde, since Asda was built there, the market has nearly vanished and many more smaller shops have closed
or become fast food places.

I honestly don't think we need another supermarket, maybe the ideal solution would be that Asda would take over the Co-op site ?

Admittedly I am biased given where I live, with both the expansion of Buxton and the "proposed" Asda
have I believe give a negative effect on my neighbourhood.

The New Supermarket is a convenience and not a necessity, it does not mean our quality of life will improve or our town will be a better place to live.

alstan

« Reply #1700 on: July 03, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
Miss M,

you say that MIA were asked ..."to NOT field a Candidate"... in the last election, asked by whom??

Will someone from MIA please answer Simone's post?

tina

« Reply #1699 on: July 03, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
As I said I stand to be corrected and I am more than happy for it to happen. I am not a planning expert neither am I an expert on College buildings so I will defer to Dave and Victor who obviously know more about these matters than me. Apart from one issue which is the issue of the joint application. I have done a little research and i believe that I am right in saying that it doesn't matter that the two buildings are not integral and it doesn't matter that they are on two different sites, Asda/CMSFC can still put a joint application in  and that's what I believe they will do. I can't prove it until it happens. Anyway we won't have long to wait - a few weeks by my estimation.

Lisa, it doesn't really matter how we describe MarpleInaction. I don't mind calling them a campaign group although they haven't put up much of one. Whether they go home or not is their choice. They are not going to take any notice of me any more than I am of them and Asda/C&MSFC/SMBC are not going to take any notice of any of us and that also includes you. It's been said on this website before but  MIA can March from now until Christmas and gather a petition as thick as the Oxford Dictionary, it won't make any difference to the triumvirate that I've just mentioned. Now if they had a Councillor in place it might. It would certainly have had more influence than marching, that's for soldiers.

I would be most interested in what MarpleInaction propose to do next to challenge this situation ( I don't expect a response)  as I think their locker is empty but there has never been much in it anyway but as I say I stand to be corrected.

There is another aspect here which quite shocked me when I realised it, but it is not completely impossible that the opposition members of the Planning Committee could successfully permit the application for mainly political reasons. They would need to bring at least one of the LibDems on the committee over to their cause - but that's been done before.         

you was correct about the joint application Wheels

tina

« Reply #1698 on: July 03, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
Having seen the Asda plan what admin has put on a separate post. i think it looks great and not the big scary monster as it has been made out to be, I dont see the 6 football pitches fitting in it! well done Asda

wheels

« Reply #1697 on: July 03, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
Party's arew not allowed whip on planning matters each member has to reach their own decison based on planning issues. Thus what you  suggest would leave the decision open to challenge.

Party groups are not even to have a pre-meeting

simonesaffron

« Reply #1696 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
As I said I stand to be corrected and I am more than happy for it to happen. I am not a planning expert neither am I an expert on College buildings so I will defer to Dave and Victor who obviously know more about these matters than me. Apart from one issue which is the issue of the joint application. I have done a little research and i believe that I am right in saying that it doesn't matter that the two buildings are not integral and it doesn't matter that they are on two different sites, Asda/CMSFC can still put a joint application in  and that's what I believe they will do. I can't prove it until it happens. Anyway we won't have long to wait - a few weeks by my estimation.

Lisa, it doesn't really matter how we describe MarpleInaction. I don't mind calling them a campaign group although they haven't put up much of one. Whether they go home or not is their choice. They are not going to take any notice of me any more than I am of them and Asda/C&MSFC/SMBC are not going to take any notice of any of us and that also includes you. It's been said on this website before but  MIA can March from now until Christmas and gather a petition as thick as the Oxford Dictionary, it won't make any difference to the triumvirate that I've just mentioned. Now if they had a Councillor in place it might. It would certainly have had more influence than marching, that's for soldiers.

I would be most interested in what MarpleInaction propose to do next to challenge this situation ( I don't expect a response)  as I think their locker is empty but there has never been much in it anyway but as I say I stand to be corrected.

There is another aspect here which quite shocked me when I realised it, but it is not completely impossible that the opposition members of the Planning Committee could successfully permit the application for mainly political reasons. They would need to bring at least one of the LibDems on the committee over to their cause - but that's been done before.         

amazon

« Reply #1695 on: July 03, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
As published on the Marple Inaction website:
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Opponents-celebrate-Asda-sinks-plans-store-estuary/story-11796593-detail/story.html

... then read the comments from the townspeople following it!

Thanks for that Hollins. The comments following that story are very interesting. It looks like a minority group of self proclaimed 'community representatives' have managed to kill-off any chances of Exmouth prospering.

There would appear to be many similarities to our current position in Marple, from a petition signed by non residents to a dying town centre.

I thought the following from an ex local shop owner very pertinent:
... the people who didn't want the Asda are largely retirees with pleanty of time to shop where they fancy and organsie protests - those that want the Asda have busy lives (one reason they want it) and no time to organise NIMBY complaints, especially when a dead town centre forces us to shop out of town for many itmes.
Please forgive the spelling mistakes above, they are from the original comment and it would be wrong to alter something I am quoting.

I do know ex mouth and like you say it's dying the town centre is terrible . Most of the no voters and some of the yes voters don't shop in marple anyway .

amazon

« Reply #1694 on: July 03, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
 MIA is the community

No it isn't, and that is at the heart of the problem that some of us have with MIA.  We respect your point of view, but please don't claim to speak on behalf of the people of Marple when you have not earned the right to do so. 

Wants again another good posting

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #1693 on: July 03, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
Surely the college and Asda HAVE to be 2 applications as they are on different sites,  so they  cant link up as a joint application.

I've got to say never heard the term "resistance group" used to describe people in this way, i like to think of them as a campaign group!!  A group of concerned people standing up for themselves, I might no agree with them but they have made themselves a concern for the authorities and they keep us talking about it, so not that there was any chance of it, but there is never a situation where ordinary people should pack up and go home and not fight... some of them DO win!!

enabling development.  The college works as it is, so its not enabling them, just improving facilities a bit.

As for standing at the election, why on earth would they? It costs money!!  People have not donated money so they can stand for election, and I guess they havent raised enough for that anyway.
There is no point in a campaign group fielding a candidate unless it forwards that particular campaign. They are a little campaign group fighting their corner  a corner that doesnt really have any political bias, fighting a corporation who doesnt care who it deals in politics so even if they could win an election it would not forward the campaign at all. 

Harry

« Reply #1692 on: July 03, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
As I understand it the planning application for a supermarket on Hibbert Lane is likely to be rejected because its not within the district centre. I checked this with one of our councillors and he agreed.

I then asked him, what is to stop the council from extending the district centre boundaries so that it encompassed the proposed site? Nothing all all, was the reply. This was done when the Co-op wanted to build the Ridgedale Centre on Hollins Lane.

So, if the council want to, there is nothing at all to stop them from approving the development and allowing our college to provide facilities that are fit for purpose.

Lets just hope that, when the time comes, common sense prevails and Marple can move forward.

Dave

« Reply #1691 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
Asda will appeal to the Inspectors on the grounds that their application is an enabling one that is not really about an Asda store it is actually about enabling the College to provide the best facilities for its students. No Asda - No College.

That's an interesting scenario, and I understand the point Simone is making when she describes the proposed supermarket as an 'enabling development'.   However, in my (limited) experience of enabling developments, they are usually on the same site as the principal development, and integral to it.  So, for example, the shopping mall and car park next to the Lowry Centre in Salford will presumably have been an enabling development, and part of a single mega-planning application.   Not sure SMBC would want to deal with camsfc and Asda in the same way here, though.  And Victor is surely correct when he says that the wider issue of educational facilities will cut no ice with the Planning Inspectorate, whose decision will be taken solely on planning grounds. 

Victor M

« Reply #1690 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »
Asda will appeal to the Inspectors on the grounds that their application is an enabling one that is not really about an Asda store it is actually about enabling the College to provide the best facilities for its students. No Asda - No College. So it will appear that if you are against the Asda you are also against the College. The College will join up with Asda and maintain that this is true. So the case is very strong for Asda/C&MSFC.
simonesaffron, most of your comments are correct apart from the last bit, once a planning application has been made the only rejections by the council or subsequent appeals have to be based on PLANNING GROUNDS AS SET OUT IN LAW and not on anything else, education and facilities for students have nothing to do with planning regulations and guidelines. Wallmart may very well try and market their proposals this way but that should be seen for what they are.

simonesaffron

« Reply #1689 on: July 03, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
Miss M,

you say that MIA were asked ..."to NOT field a Candidate"... in the last election, asked by whom??