Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701704 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1688 on: July 03, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »
I stand to be corrected and please feel most welcome to do so but the way I see things going now are this way.

Asda & C&MSFC will hold their "consultation", although it isn't really a consultation is it ? It's more a ...."this is what we're doing if you like it great but if you don't tough"!

Nevertheless, everybody will see that the new College isn't going to be 100 metre high and that the new Asda isn't going to be half the size of Marple. So public resistance will diminish somewhat. They will then submit a joint planning application which the Council will probably reject on the grounds that it is against their planning policy. Three Councillors have spoken out against the development so they are not going to now change their minds, not in public anyway.

Asda will appeal to the Inspectors on the grounds that their application is an enabling one that is not really about an Asda store it is actually about enabling the College to provide the best facilities for its students. No Asda - No College. So it will appear that if you are against the Asda you are also against the College. The College will join up with Asda and maintain that this is true. So the case is very strong for Asda/C&MSFC. Resistance groups such as MarpleInaction are futile and they may as well go home now. The only possible problem for Asda could be if something happens on Chadwick street but this seems to have gone quiet for the moment.

Harry

« Reply #1687 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
As published on the Marple Inaction website:
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Opponents-celebrate-Asda-sinks-plans-store-estuary/story-11796593-detail/story.html

... then read the comments from the townspeople following it!

Thanks for that Hollins. The comments following that story are very interesting. It looks like a minority group of self proclaimed 'community representatives' have managed to kill-off any chances of Exmouth prospering.

There would appear to be many similarities to our current position in Marple, from a petition signed by non residents to a dying town centre.

I thought the following from an ex local shop owner very pertinent:
... the people who didn't want the Asda are largely retirees with pleanty of time to shop where they fancy and organsie protests - those that want the Asda have busy lives (one reason they want it) and no time to organise NIMBY complaints, especially when a dead town centre forces us to shop out of town for many itmes.
Please forgive the spelling mistakes above, they are from the original comment and it would be wrong to alter something I am quoting.

alstan

« Reply #1686 on: July 03, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »
]

Some of us? You speak for yourself

and he speaks for others as well      QED  "...some of us"

simonesaffron

« Reply #1685 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »
I have asked for the following  information from SMBC hope it's useful to some people like myself who has no idea about planning.  The following is a reply I have received today from SMBC  planning department.

An Area Committee cannot approve a planning application which is deemed to be against policy. So if the application is against policy, and for whatever reason either Officers or Area Committee Members wish to support it, it will need to go to Planning and Highways for determination. However the Area Committee can simply refuse the application if it is contrary to policy without further reference.

The other factor is size. If the application is more than 5000m sq floorspace, or greater than 3 hectares in area, then it must go to Planning and Highways Committee.

I hope this is clear. The following link might be helpful in explaining the position further

The key for the AC acting as Council decision maker is with the local Councillors. Correct me if I am wrong but at the time of writing we have three Councillors who have publicly stated they are against the development ( I hasten to add this was before any plans were submitted) but we also have three Councillors who have not declared one way or another. If six local Councillors (let us also rememember that three of them are on the Executive) declare against, then that is a very powerful lobby for the rest of the Council to ignore...surely too powerful. Has anybody asked the three undeclared Councillors where they stand?   

wheels

« Reply #1684 on: July 02, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
You continue to damage MiA with such cheap comments.

Duke Fame

« Reply #1683 on: July 02, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
 MIA is the community

No it isn't, and that is at the heart of the problem that some of us have with MIA.  We respect your point of view, but please don't claim to speak on behalf of the people of Marple when you have not earned the right to do so. 

Some of us? You speak for yourself

Miss Marple

« Reply #1682 on: July 02, 2012, 11:36:31 PM »
It's now over 12 months since MIA formed and it's been a hell of a journey for everyone who has given their time or expertise to assist.   On the stall on Sat a few people asked if they could join MIA and wanted to know how to become involved. It's easy just contact by a personal message , contact the action line or I am sure Admin will pass your details on.  MIA is now a recognised  community group  and as many people who assist us the better.  You don't have to have any particular skill, none of us had ever done anything like this before,we just need people who feel as passionate about preventing a supermarket on Hibbert Lane as we do  to join us.  
The latest post from Admin about Exmouth gives MIA a boost it shows it can be done, Exmouth has just proved it.  If you can spare sometime, even a couple of hours  MIA would love to hear from you.  
The fight has only just begun, we are now at the stage where we need as much support as possible, so if you can get in touch!  

spot the difference  :-*.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1681 on: July 02, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
Yes sorry forgot MIA number which is.  07790 419494  thanks for reminding me !  It's been a long day !

Dave

« Reply #1680 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »
 MIA is the community

No it isn't, and that is at the heart of the problem that some of us have with MIA.  We respect your point of view, but please don't claim to speak on behalf of the people of Marple when you have not earned the right to do so. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #1679 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
It's now over 12 months since MIA formed and it's been a hell of a journey for everyone who has given their time or  expertise to assist.   On the stall on Sat a few people asked if they could join MIA and wanted to know how to become involved.  It's easy just contact by a personal message , contact the action line or I am sure Admin will pass your details on.  MIA is the community and as many people who assist us the better.  You don't have to have any particular skill, none of us had ever done anything like this before,we just need people who feel as passionate about preventing a supermarket on Hibbert Lane as we do  to join us.  
The latest post from Admin about Exmouth gives MIA a boost it shows it can be done, Exmouth has just proved it.  If you can spare sometime, even a couple of hours  MIA would love to hear from you.  
The fight has only just begun, we are now at the stage where we need as much support as possible, so if you can get in touch!  

hollins

« Reply #1678 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:33 PM »
As published on the Marple Inaction website:
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Opponents-celebrate-Asda-sinks-plans-store-estuary/story-11796593-detail/story.html

... then read the comments from the townspeople following it!

Miss Marple

« Reply #1677 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
I think Victor M is correct this nonsense  needs addressing,  so I have now made a decision,  due to the awful  comments I have received, to just post  on the forum to share information to some of the community who contact the Action line for information who I then direct to this site.
In my profession I would not tolerate being verbally abused and have the power of a legal team to prevent it, so it makes a nonsense to allow myself to be subject to some forum members comments which quite frankly are appalling.   I know they  would not dare to speak to me or indeed anyone else that way face to face, they only feel brave and powerful behind a computer screen,how sad.       So from now on I will just post and will not get drawn into debates.  Thanks Victor in making me see sence  :-*

Dave

« Reply #1676 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
the Area Committee can simply refuse the application if it is contrary to policy without further reference.

So this means that Area Committee could throw out this application and stop it going any further?  Is that correct?   Even though some members have compromised their position by coming out against it beforehand?  If so, it could give powerful grounds for Asda's appeal to the Planning Inspectorate! 

Miss Marple

« Reply #1675 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
I have asked for the following  information from SMBC hope it's useful to some people like myself who has no idea about planning.  The following is a reply I have received today from SMBC  planning department.

An Area Committee cannot approve a planning application which is deemed to be against policy. So if the application is against policy, and for whatever reason either Officers or Area Committee Members wish to support it, it will need to go to Planning and Highways for determination. However the Area Committee can simply refuse the application if it is contrary to policy without further reference.

The other factor is size. If the application is more than 5000m sq floorspace, or greater than 3 hectares in area, then it must go to Planning and Highways Committee.

I hope this is clear. The following link might be helpful in explaining the position further

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/2013/2994/developmentcontrol/delegationofplanningapps

Victor M

« Reply #1674 on: July 02, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
You are right sgk.

Victor, please accept my apologies. I misunderstood your post. You're correct, we may be paying even less than 127.7p per litre when Asda arrive.

Harry, I'll accept your apology this time but along with a number of other people on this forum I don't think you have read my post in the correct context.
I think you will find that ASDA (along with all other supermarkets) set their price according to the site and local competition and not on a national basis. So they will undercut the local competition but not be as cheap as say Tesco in Stockport or Morrison's in Hyde. Downside is however that both local garages will close and the view you will get as you drive into Marple will be that of large derelict sites. Some will think that that's a price worth paying some will not, however the decision to grant planning permission will only be decided on planning grounds. They (planning grounds) do not include the price of a litre of petrol or the price of food!

As the 1st person to raise the issue of CAMSFC wanting to sell the Hibbert Lane site to a Supermarket (which is now nearly 6 years ago) I was trying to move the debate on to the planning grounds that the application will either pass or fail on. The price of a litre of fuel or a chicken drumstick does not come into the equation. I am becoming very disappointed in the way this forum is being used by people of all opinions in trying to out shout each other rather than using constructive debate (that and the appalling grammar, syntax and spelling)