Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701637 times)

Dave

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1448 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
It doesn't really matter whether Councillors jumped on MIA's bandwagon what does matter is that it was provided by MIA in the first place and in the second place they were practically heaved upon it by MIA.
Indeed - and many of us watched it happen at the 'party in the park' last July!

In fact you have helped ASDA come to town instead of deterring it. MIA by behaving in such a way has nullified the efforts of the marches and rallies of the ordinary people of MARPLE - well it would have done if Asda take any notice of popular opinion - which they don't of course!

I don't speak for MIA - far from it - but I always thought the marches and rallies were aimed at the college, not Asda? 

Whatever - as you say, finetime, Asda would never take any notice of such protests, and so far, thank goodness, neither has the college.  Only our councillors have allowed themselves to be browbeaten by all the fuss and commotion - oh, and our MP, which was a surprise and a disappointment - I expected better than that from him.    :(

As for 'popular opinion', we don't know what that is, yet. If you talk to friends and neighbours about this, as we all do, opinions seem to be divided.  Some are strongly opposed, some are strongly in favour, but my totally unscientific impression is that a lot of sensible people are waiting until they can see the proposals before they rush to judgement.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1447 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
Hi Finetime I find your analysis amusing, it has brought some humour into my politically naive life, so for that I thank you !    Lol  :D

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1446 on: March 01, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

That's what I said in my posting .

THAT'S AMAZING AMAZON - MUST BE SOME KIND OF TELEPATHIC TOGETHERNESS.

amazon

« Reply #1445 on: March 01, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »

My sister lives in Glossop - has done since 1981. She works in Manchester City Centre. Most days she uses the train but ocassionally she has to go in by car. When she does she leaves home at 7-15am to be certain of being in for 9am. She's been doing that for years - long before Tesco came to town.

That's what I said in my posting .

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1444 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
All ways been like that even before a supermarket they sayif  your not out of Glossop before 7.30 in a morning you will be late for work

My sister lives in Glossop - has done since 1981. She works in Manchester City Centre. Most days she uses the train but ocassionally she has to go in by car. When she does she leaves home at 7-15am to be certain of being in for 9am. She's been doing that for years - long before Tesco came to town.

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1443 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
Hello Miss M, apologies for my delayed response to your posting but I've been out of town for a few days - no computer access.

You really need to read these postings carefully before you start shooting from the lip - sorry hip. I didn't actually say that YOU went to Councillors' surgeries in fact I know that YOU PERSONALLY didn't. The record will show that what I said was that MIA did - which they did.

Anyway the point to this is that Local Councillors and MIA have held hands together and deprived local democracy from having any kind of say one way or another in the ASDA planning application. It doesn't really matter whether Councillors jumped on MIA's bandwagon what does matter is that it was provided by MIA in the first place and in the second place they were practically heaved upon it by MIA. It would have been far more representative of the Marple Community if Local Councillors and MIA had understood about pre-determination and then Councillors could have kept their powder dry until the Planning App comes in. So you are both to blame as much as each other.

In fact you have helped ASDA come to town instead of deterring it. MIA by behaving in such a way has nullified the efforts of the marches and rallies of the ordinary people of MARPLE - well it would have done if Asda take any notice of popular opinion - which they don't of course!

Oh! by the way - identities, as I've said before, I'll leave you to speculate on that - have as many guesses as you like - it really has no relevance.

amazon

« Reply #1442 on: February 27, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield.
How come then on a Sunday, once you manage to get past the lights where Tesco is the traffic miraculously disappears?

Probably because it's a Sunday and so there's no commerical traffic over the Pass. Try going through Glossop at any other time as I find the traffic doesn't disappear until you get past the traffic lights in the centre of Glossop (which are the last set on the A57 until you get to the Ladybower Reservoir).

Glossop has the same traffic issues with the Snake as Hollingworth/Tintwhistle does with the Woodhead, shear volume of through traffic. And you certainly can't blame Hollingworth's problems on a Supermarket.

All ways been like that even before a supermarket they sayif  your not out of Glossop before 7.30 in a morning you will be late for work

amazon

« Reply #1441 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
The swimming pool, just like the library, or even the cinema, is one of those amenities that very few people use yet there is an outcry whenever there is suggestion one may close.

Personally, I think it would be advantageous to have just one swimming pool and library is Stockport town centre and none others in the borough - council tax would go right down!

I don't mind the college being demolished but a new large supermarket seems a bit OTT for this area - more council housing would be a better addition to the area.
. So the elderly people have to go to Stockport to use a library I don't think so .

Miss Marple

« Reply #1440 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
[quote I think from your last post you have now divulged your identity, and may be using this forum to promote your own personal business issues. If you have evidence of intimidation please divulge it to the rest of the forum.

Interesting observation Victor and although I would dearly love to be well known, I am afraid that you are on the wrong bus here! I doubt that my name would mean anything to the people of Marple. However, please feel most welcome in fact far as I am concerned please feel positively encouraged to guess, speculate or assume anything that you wish as this only adds to the intrigue - of which I am a fan - but most of all please be patient - I have a busy week out of town for part of this week but upon my return there is much more of my essay to come.        

Have you not got an iPhone or iPad as I fear I may not be able to contain myself for that length of time  :D  Hey keep it short when you do pop up again,  we don't want War and Peace !

Miss Marple

« Reply #1439 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »
WRONG !!!   The councillors jumped on the MIA band wagon and could not wait to vote against a supermarket.  Now I have always smelt a rat with some councillors  jumping ship and climbing on board MIA   I have not quite worked  it out yet, but Hey I Will !!!  I think it's what they call damage limitation by some of our councillors.   The truth will soon be out !

Dear Miss Marple, Considering that you purport to be a "Community Leader" your innocence and politiical naivette is almost beguiling.
It takes me all my time to support myself !  I purport to be nothing more than a messenger, an informed one at that !  And please do not insult my intelligence, I act this way as not to insult yours  :-*

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1438 on: February 27, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »
Finetime,What on earth has rattled your cage since you registered on the Forum 12 days ago?You make some serious allegations about bullying?How can a few people bully and intimidate the councillors?What could these people possibly threaten them with?MIA are not a political organisation and those councillors are not fit for purpose if they cannot stand their ground.It is laughable!You Quote In doing so they have contaminated their view by pre-determination in a completety, irrevocable and unprecendented way and have disqualified themseves from playing any part whatsoever in the planning process for the Hibbert Lane Supermarket.Of course they know that, it was mentioned a long time ago and is of no concern to MIA.Who are just a bunch of people who are fighting against,in theirs and many other peoples opinion, the destruction of Marple town centre,the disruption to people whose homes surround the Hibbert Lane site and the Buxton Lane site and also increased traffic.Why don't you tell us more about yourself? ;)

Dear Mrs O,
I agee with much (not all) of what you say Councillors deserve to be criticised as much as the leadership of MIA and they will be. Please distinguish between the "leaders of MIA and the ordinary people of Marple - they are not one and the same. I am just an ordinary person who is a bit closer to the action than many of those who think they are....please be patient...

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1437 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
WRONG !!!   The councillors jumped on the MIA band wagon and could not wait to vote against a supermarket.  Now I have always smelt a rat with some councillors  jumping ship and climbing on board MIA   I have not quite worked  it out yet, but Hey I Will !!!  I think it's what they call damage limitation by some of our councillors.   The truth will soon be out !

Dear Miss Marple, Considering that you purport to be a "Community Leader" your innocence and politiical naivette is almost beguiling.

finetimefontaine

« Reply #1436 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
I think from your last post you have now divulged your identity, and may be using this forum to promote your own personal business issues. If you have evidence of intimidation please divulge it to the rest of the forum.

Interesting observation Victor and although I would dearly love to be well known, I am afraid that you are on the wrong bus here! I doubt that my name would mean anything to the people of Marple. However, please feel most welcome in fact far as I am concerned please feel positively encouraged to guess, speculate or assume anything that you wish as this only adds to the intrigue - of which I am a fan - but most of all please be patient - I have a busy week out of town for part of this week but upon my return there is much more of my essay to come.          

marpleexile

« Reply #1435 on: February 27, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield.
How come then on a Sunday, once you manage to get past the lights where Tesco is the traffic miraculously disappears?

Probably because it's a Sunday and so there's no commerical traffic over the Pass. Try going through Glossop at any other time as I find the traffic doesn't disappear until you get past the traffic lights in the centre of Glossop (which are the last set on the A57 until you get to the Ladybower Reservoir).

Glossop has the same traffic issues with the Snake as Hollingworth/Tintwhistle does with the Woodhead, shear volume of through traffic. And you certainly can't blame Hollingworth's problems on a Supermarket.

Heritage

« Reply #1434 on: February 26, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
Because Tesco is open on a Sunday....and most of the smaller Glossop shops aren't  :-\