Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 702148 times)

Victor M

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1433 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »
The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield.
How come then on a Sunday, once you manage to get past the lights where Tesco is the traffic miraculously disappears?

Victor M

« Reply #1432 on: February 26, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »
At the 1st public meeting SMBC officials actually stated that as this potential development would be so big (and they had had pre-planning meetings by then) that the application would never go to the local area committee, it would be pulled and go straight to Full council. So what's all the winging about?

Miss Marple

« Reply #1431 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »
Oh and another thing ! Andrew Stunnall (mp) Shan Alexander and Martin Candler had their picture taken with that now famous slogan " Think Again " outside the college before MIA had even spoken to Andrew Stunnall so Finetimefontaine you really needs to get up to speed before you try to discredit MIA   Word to the wise ! Don't believe the hype.

marpleexile

« Reply #1430 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
discussed the nuances of a 'new' supermarket in Marple with counterparts/ friends/ colleagues who live in Glossop or Poynton, both of which remain vibrant
I haven't heard anyone from Glossop or Ponton who think that the new supermarket developments in these towns have beneficial. In fact I've spoken to a number of people who use to shop there who now travel to Marple instead.
Also both Glossop and Poynton from a traffic point of view have become NO GO areas.

The Glossop traffic NO GO issue is nothing to do with the Tesco, or any of the other shops, it's simply because the main road through the centre of Glossop is the A57, AKA the Snake Pass, one of the two main routes from Greater Manchester over to Sheffield. The traffic in the centre of Glossop was noticeably absent during the recent cold snaps, when the Pass was closed.

And as for Poynton, isn't the main route through there the main artery linking Macclesfield to Stockport/Manchester?

Both towns had major traffic problems prior to the supermarkets, and would continue to have them long after were they ever to shut.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #1429 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
Happy to be put straight!
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #1428 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
I might be wrong here, but I thought MIA effectively publically challenged the local councillors and the MP to come out in support of the group and attend the public rally (if not, its the impression that I got from the various statements on this board). That potentially put the Councillors between a rock and a hard place didn't it? If they didn't come out in support, they would have been lambasted and they knew it, but in so doing it effectively means that they can't now argue that they would give any future planning application due consideration. Which is a shame as the application will now probably be considered / determined by non Marple councillors.

I guess it was always going to work out like that though and I can see the benefit of the strongest possible local campaign for MIA.

No Belly you could not be further from the truth!  Our first ever MIA meeting was held in June and all interested people who had read this thread on the forum sent me a PM and attended a meeting.  Councillors also attended this meeting and informed us that they knew nothing about the sale of CAMSFC to a supermarket, which seems a little strange as one of the Councillors was Shan Alexander who was a governour at the college when they first started their talks with land buyers.  As I have said before some councillors jumped before the truth was out IE they did not want to vote against something that they possibly once supported and kept secret from the community.  It's politics with a small p and it stinks and the people of MARPLE need to know the truth  :-\

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #1427 on: February 26, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
I might be wrong here, but I thought MIA effectively publically challenged the local councillors and the MP to come out in support of the group and attend the public rally (if not, its the impression that I got from the various statements on this board). That potentially put the Councillors between a rock and a hard place didn't it? If they didn't come out in support, they would have been lambasted and they knew it, but in so doing it effectively means that they can't now argue that they would give any future planning application due consideration. Which is a shame as the application will now probably be considered / determined by non Marple councillors.

I guess it was always going to work out like that though and I can see the benefit of the strongest possible local campaign for MIA.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #1426 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
Continuing; 2

What actually happened was this.

MIA furious at the prospect of this "Supermarket" and totally ignorant in the nuances of the planning process, as part of its NO CAMPAIGN set about political intimidation of local Councillors. This involved such things as visiting Councillors in their surgeries in Marple Public Library and threatening various political tactics unless Councillors publicly joined the NO CAMPAIGN - it has to be said here that MIA were completely oblivious to "contamination of vote by pre-determination" but Councillors being Councillors were not - nor at least should not have been. At least three Councillors were threatened in this way at their public surgeries. They were SA, MC AND KD. What then followed is of course  a matter of record as Councillors; Alexander & Candler quickly caved in followed by Councillor Wright. We can only assume that Cllr KD did not.

In the ensuing months these three Councillors would denounce the Supermarket at every opportunity. This would include making verbal statements at the extraordinary AC, a convention recorded on CCTV, speaking at MIA rallies - and also providing written statements at the written behest of MIA.

In doing so they have contaminated their view by pre-determination in a completety, irrevocable and
unprecendented way and have disqualified themseves from playing any part whatsoever in the planning process for the Hibbert Lane Supermarket.

Why have they behaved in such a way?.....TO BE CONTINUED...
Oh dear Finetime you have dropped a bit of a mess and political b*****k  there haven't you.  I can assure you that I have never been to councillor surgery and for your information the 3 councillors that you name all came to the first ever MIA meeting back in June !    Now you are one of three people ! Now let me think ???  Is your partner a council member  ???? Or are you a member of a certain group  ???or are you the person that thinks they can develop MARPLE single handed and reap all the  rewards without consultation  ???  Oh now let me think this one over

Duke Fame

« Reply #1425 on: February 26, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
I love it   :D  It's like saying the only difference between Fortnum and Mason and, say, Aldi, is the quality of the staff and customers.   ;D

I've never been to F&M!

What makes a great place to learn? Great teachers, a great curriculum and most of all, really clever and ambitious peers. Elton Mayo discovered that surroundings made little difference.

Dave

« Reply #1424 on: February 26, 2012, 02:06:14 PM »
I love it   :D  It's like saying the only difference between Fortnum and Mason and, say, Aldi, is the quality of the staff and customers.   ;D

Duke Fame

« Reply #1423 on: February 26, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
Duke,

Oxford, Cambridge and Marple College, bless you! Not a comparison that immediately springs to mind - wouldn't you agree?

I would agree and that's ,y point. It's down to the quality of lecturers & students not the bricks & mortar

sooty2

« Reply #1422 on: February 26, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »
Finetime,What on earth has rattled your cage since you registered on the Forum 12 days ago?You make some serious allegations about bullying?How can a few people bully and intimidate the councillors?What could these people possibly threaten them with?MIA are not a political organisation and those councillors are not fit for purpose if they cannot stand their ground.It is laughable!You Quote In doing so they have contaminated their view by pre-determination in a completety, irrevocable and unprecendented way and have disqualified themseves from playing any part whatsoever in the planning process for the Hibbert Lane Supermarket.Of course they know that, it was mentioned a long time ago and is of no concern to MIA.Who are just a bunch of people who are fighting against,in theirs and many other peoples opinion, the destruction of Marple town centre,the disruption to people whose homes surround the Hibbert Lane site and the Buxton Lane site and also increased traffic.Why don't you tell us more about yourself? ;)

Dave

« Reply #1421 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »
I haven't heard anyone from Glossop or Ponton who think that the new supermarket developments in these towns have beneficial. In fact I've spoken to a number of people who use to shop there who now travel to Marple instead.

The Glossop Tesco has been there for donkey's years!  And there are more (and, IMO, generally better) local shops there than there are in Marple.  So why would anyone from Glossop have suddenly stopped shopping there and brought their custom to Marple?  It makes no sense!

both Glossop and Poynton from a traffic point of view have become NO GO areas.

The traffic problems in Poynton are because of the long term road works, as you must surely know, Victor. 

People we know who live in Poynton are delighted to have Waitrose, and say that as a result there are more people shopping in the village than there used to be. 

Victor M

« Reply #1420 on: February 26, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »
MIA furious at the prospect of this "Supermarket" and totally ignorant in the nuances of the planning process, as part of its NO CAMPAIGN set about political intimidation of local Councillors. This involved such things as visiting Councillors in their surgeries in Marple Public Library and threatening various political tactics unless Councillors publicly joined the NO CAMPAIGN
I think from your last post you have now divulged your identity, and may be using this forum to promote your own personal business issues. If you have evidence of intimidation please divulge it to the rest of the forum.

Victor M

« Reply #1419 on: February 26, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
discussed the nuances of a 'new' supermarket in Marple with counterparts/ friends/ colleagues who live in Glossop or Poynton, both of which remain vibrant
Also both Glossop and Poynton from a traffic point of view have become NO GO areas.