Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 02, 2014, 05:30:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Marple Bridge Town Street Fryer - Genuine Fish & Chips!

Poll
Question: Do you approve, oppose or not care if a supermarket were built on the Hibbert Lane site?
I object to a supermarket being built on the site.
I approve of a supermarket being built on the site.
I don't mind what is done with it.

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 129
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 135578 times)
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1365 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Consider this, call it a hypothetical question if you like.

Asda for all it tries can't get planning permission - so leaves town -  hurrah! for some not for others - I KNOW THAT!

As the deal with cmsfc was dependent upon PP being granted, cmsfc get no money from Asda therefore they cannot afford to run three sites. As Hibbert Lane offers the most potential they leave the site and put it up for sale -but no buyers come. The buildings are left to dilapidate and the vandals move in stealing;lead,copper, roof tiles anything that they can strip or carry away. Very soon the site is an eyesore - then the travellers move in.

Fanciful, pessimistic and far -fetched   ??
amazon

« Reply #1366 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Asda for all it tries can't get planning permission - so leaves town -  hurrah! for some not for others - I KNOW THAT!

As the deal with cmsfc was dependent upon PP being granted, cmsfc get no money from Asda therefore they cannot afford to run three sites. As Hibbert Lane offers the most potential they leave the site and put it up for sale -but no buyers come. The buildings are left to dilapidate and the vandals move in stealing;lead,copper, roof tiles anything that they can strip or carry away. Very soon the site is an eyesore - then the travellers move in.

Then people will start complaining why can't something be done with this site .ist a mess as you say .
Dave

« Reply #1367 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »

Yes.  There's no way the college could afford to simply close the Hibbert Lane site and walk away, without replacing it with alternative accommodation.  They would have to lose so many student enrolments that their income would collapse and they would probably go bust.  And their funding council wouldn't allow it anyway. 
Lisa Oldham
Global Moderator

« Reply #1368 on: February 21, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

As for every sale of property land... it will go to the next best bid I expect!  They will still sell it but at a reduced price and it will become houses.. or something else that we havent yet thought of!
Dave

« Reply #1369 on: February 21, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »

I'm not convinced of that, Lisa.  There's one overriding imperative: the college must be able to maintain student numbers at the current level at least, or they will lose funding.   If they can't raise enough from the disposal of the Hibbert Lane site, they won't be able to build sufficient space round the corner at Buxton Lane to accommodate all the displaced activity from Hibbert Lane.  I seem to recall that the site was valued at only £4 million if used for housing.  I don't think that would be enough, so it could cause the entire scheme to collapse.    Shocked
Miss Marple

« Reply #1370 on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »

Tesco came first , Asda second, on the first bid  
Asda came first , Tesco second, on the second bid

CAMSFC decided to choose Asda on the second bid

Not sure why there were two bidding rounds maybe first round was with planning second without but I am not sure.  There is talk from inside the college that the land was passed over to Asda at the end of Jan 2012 but this has NOT BEEN CONFIRMED but it has come from a reliable source from inside the college so only time will tell.

Waitrose bid was  not accepted as they didn't bid enough initially

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
amazon

« Reply #1371 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »

Tesco came first , Asda second, on the first bid  
Asda came first , Tesco second, on the second bid

CAMSFC decided to choose Asda on the second bid

Not sure why there were two bidding rounds maybe first round was with planning second without but I am not sure.  There is talk from inside the college that the land was passed over to Asda at the end of Jan 2012 but this has NOT BEEN CONFIRMED but it has come from a reliable source from inside the college so only time will tell.

Waitrose bid was  not accepted as they didn't bid enough initially

If it was passed to asda does that mean they own the land now and they will have paid the college .for it .
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1372 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »

Hello Amazon,

We can't know for sure until we see agreement details but what has probably occurred is that Asda have bought it subject to obtaining PP and if they don't get it ownership reverts back to MCSFC.
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1373 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »

I'm not convinced of that, Lisa.  There's one overriding imperative: the college must be able to maintain student numbers at the current level at least, or they will lose funding.   If they can't raise enough from the disposal of the Hibbert Lane site, they won't be able to build sufficient space round the corner at Buxton Lane to accommodate all the displaced activity from Hibbert Lane.  I seem to recall that the site was valued at only £4 million if used for housing.  I don't think that would be enough, so it could cause the entire scheme to collapse.    Shocked

Exactly Dave,  and what happens if the whole scheme does collapse? It still leaves MCSFC "ALLEGEDLY" WITH NO MONEY TO CONTINUE ON THE SITE ? What happens in Marple to Hibbert Lane site if Asda and MCSFC leave town - what's the choice then?   
Dave

« Reply #1374 on: February 21, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »

I assume that by MCSFC you mean camsfc? If so, there is no evidence that if the sale falls through, the college can't continue to operate on their current three sites (one in Cheadle, two in Marple).  They are not seeking to sell Hibbert Lane because of any financial difficulty - as far as we know, it is simply a way of improving and updating their buildings, while at the same time reducing their running costs. 
Franz

« Reply #1375 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »

Thank you, Belly, for your post on 18th Feb. It reflects my own views exactly.
amazon

« Reply #1376 on: February 22, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »

And suppose asda have paid full whack for the site allowing the collage to in prove then move .and Asda to keep as a land bank . For. years it could backfire on the no to a supermarket brigade .then what will they do
finetimefontaine

« Reply #1377 on: February 22, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »

I assume that by MCSFC you mean camsfc? If so, there is no evidence that if the sale falls through, the college can't continue to operate on their current three sites (one in Cheadle, two in Marple).  They are not seeking to sell Hibbert Lane because of any financial difficulty - as far as we know, it is simply a way of improving and updating their buildings, while at the same time reducing their running costs. 

Sorry to mislead by transposing the letters in the abbreviation. Your assumption is of course correct. You're quite right there is no evidence for what I say but there isn't any for what you say either. I own up - I am 100% speculating and what I say is HOW DO WE KNOW THAT WE WON'T END UP IN TWO YEARS WITH A VANDALISED ABANDONED SITE?

I ask this question in an objective way not in a challenging way.
Dave

« Reply #1378 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »

[You're quite right there is no evidence for what I say but there isn't any for what you say either.

Well here's the evidence for the College's finances being sound:  http://www.camsfc.ac.uk/assets/file/Annual_reports/Annual_Rep_08_09_lr.pdf

In addition, a fairly recent Ofsted inspection graded their financial position as 'outstanding', I believe.  So we know that the College is not disposing of the site because they are in any financial difficulty.

In answer to your question....
HOW DO WE KNOW THAT WE WON'T END UP IN TWO YEARS WITH A VANDALISED ABANDONED SITE?

... we don't KNOW anything for sure, but that outcome is so improbable that we can safely disregard it.  This is because the College can not afford to (indeed, would not be allowed to) close courses or deliberately reduce student numbers.  So they will not sell the site unless they can get enough money for it to build sufficient replacement accommodation on the Buxton Lane site.  And no-one would buy it for £12 million or any other significant sum and then let it become a wasteland.  I understand the point about the site being bought up to be a 'land bank', but AFAIK that is usually done as a 'blocking move', when a big supermarket chain (e.g. Asda) buys up land to stop another big chain (e.g. Tesco) from opening up in competition with them.  The only supermarket in that position round here would be the Co-op.  Can anyone see them doing that?  Me neither......    Wink

Where I do agree with you, finetime, is here:
We can't know for sure until we see agreement details but what has probably occurred is that Asda have bought it subject to obtaining PP and if they don't get it ownership reverts back to MCSFC.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1379 on: February 22, 2012, 06:02:29 PM »

Sorry to mislead by transposing the letters in the abbreviation. Your assumption is of course correct. You're quite right there is no evidence for what I say but there isn't any for what you say either. I own up - I am 100% speculating and what I say is HOW DO WE KNOW THAT WE WON'T END UP IN TWO YEARS WITH A VANDALISED ABANDONED SITE?

I ask this question in an objective way not in a challenging way.
Maybe it could be sold for the purpose it was gifted for,  Education ?  Possibly an alternative education provider could make use of the site at a reasonable price.  It has never ceased to amaze me that the people who supported a loss in an education facility were not only governors of CAMSFC but were prominent people working as lectures and professors based at Manchester University, the very people who should have been campaigning to save an education site for  future generations   I know I will hear that old chestnut  that CAMSFC are doing it to enhance facilities but at what cost to local Marple young people.  I am not sure what the population of MARPLE is currently but I do know that it's a dam sight more than when I was a school so how can we now think that we need less education sites ?

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 129
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite