Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701815 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1283 on: January 25, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
25 new ASDA stores due in 2012.  Oh what joy.   :'(

Lists some of them here but no mention of the Marple one just yet.

That's a shame, still it might make the list soon.
Oh I do hope so !  I can not wait !  ;D I have my tent ready and waiting !  ;D

Blossom

« Reply #1282 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »
25 new ASDA stores due in 2012.  Oh what joy.   :'(

That's a shame, still it might make the list soon.

Dave

« Reply #1281 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »
It's years away, if it ever happens.   

sgk

« Reply #1280 on: January 23, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »
25 new ASDA stores due in 2012.  Oh what joy.   :'(

Miss Marple

« Reply #1279 on: January 22, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
miss marple u must have loads of money or like staying up all night, if u can spend that much money on just coffee, and if asda/tesco comes to marple, you could walk to the supermarket and then carry it home, which means the supermarket would be saving on petrol as well as yourself and then you both would be saving the planet. or did the delivery van not use any petrol when bringing your coffee to your house.

and after all that it was cheaper AT ASDA . ;D
No it wasn't cheaper at ASDA but it would have been cheaper on Amazon and free delivery !  I am not as savvy a shopper as I would like to believe  :-\. Next time I will get it from Amazon !

amazon

« Reply #1278 on: January 21, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
I don't find the Co-op excessively expensive. The others are very good at attracting customers with a few special offers, but for the rest of the stuff prices are much the same.

Not excessively, no, but the Co-op does appear to price practically every product around 10% higher than the big four, almost an extra 10p on everything. A problem I think is that large convenience stores seem to be the group's main food business now, rather than full supermarkets, so Marple is a bit of an anomaly.

I still don't quite know how they got away with keeping the old Somerfield at Texaco, completely starving us of choice.

They offloaded the one in romiley that used to be somerfields .

rsh

« Reply #1277 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »
I don't find the Co-op excessively expensive. The others are very good at attracting customers with a few special offers, but for the rest of the stuff prices are much the same.

Not excessively, no, but the Co-op does appear to price practically every product around 10% higher than the big four, almost an extra 10p on everything. A problem I think is that large convenience stores seem to be the group's main food business now, rather than full supermarkets, so Marple is a bit of an anomaly.

I still don't quite know how they got away with keeping the old Somerfield at Texaco, completely starving us of choice.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1276 on: January 21, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
miss marple tesco didnt save money petrol or the planet delivering your coffee
Let's not split hairs.   One van, one lot of petrol about 25+ deliveries in one !  simple.com

amazon

« Reply #1275 on: January 21, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

« Reply #1269 on: Yesterday at 09:30:48 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
The Co-op may not exploit their suppliers, but they certainly exploit their customers, when you compare their prices with those at any proper supermarket.

And re this:

Quote from: Cyberman on January 19, 2012, 09:58:46 PM
Here's an article which summarises one reason why I don't want a big supermarket in Marple.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/18/pays-tesco-ceo-wages-we-do

......so exploiting suppliers, overpaying top executives and underpaying checkout staff and shelf stackers is OK as long as it takes place in Hazel Grove, Bredbury and Whaley Bridge?  Huh

No. all this is not OK in Hazel Grove, Bredbury etc but that's what we've got. I think the spread of the Big 4 across the UK should be stopped, for many reasons I've mentioned before. In my opinion Marple is fine without a large (note LARGE) supermarket on the doorstep and should stay that way.

Ok Iceland Kellogg's corn flakes £2.7o .coop 2.79 milk is dearer at the coop as many other things are.

heather

« Reply #1274 on: January 21, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
miss marple tesco didnt save money petrol or the planet delivering your coffee

Cyberman

« Reply #1273 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

« Reply #1269 on: Yesterday at 09:30:48 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
The Co-op may not exploit their suppliers, but they certainly exploit their customers, when you compare their prices with those at any proper supermarket.

And re this:
Quote from: Cyberman on January 19, 2012, 09:58:46 PM
Here's an article which summarises one reason why I don't want a big supermarket in Marple.

......so exploiting suppliers, overpaying top executives and underpaying checkout staff and shelf stackers is OK as long as it takes place in Hazel Grove, Bredbury and Whaley Bridge?  Huh

No. all this is not OK in Hazel Grove, Bredbury etc but that's what we've got. I think the spread of the Big 4 across the UK should be stopped, for many reasons I've mentioned before. In my opinion Marple is fine without a large (note LARGE) supermarket on the doorstep and should stay that way.

amazon

« Reply #1272 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
miss marple u must have loads of money or like staying up all night, if u can spend that much money on just coffee, and if asda/tesco comes to marple, you could walk to the supermarket and then carry it home, which means the supermarket would be saving on petrol as well as yourself and then you both would be saving the planet. or did the delivery van not use any petrol when bringing your coffee to your house.

and after all that it was cheaper AT ASDA . ;D

Susan

« Reply #1271 on: January 20, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »

Dave

« Reply #1270 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »

And re this:

......so exploiting suppliers, overpaying top executives and underpaying checkout staff and shelf stackers is OK as long as it takes place in Hazel Grove, Bredbury and Whaley Bridge?  ???

rsh

« Reply #1269 on: January 20, 2012, 02:10:45 AM »
Given the number of Tesco and Sainsbury's delivery vans I see around lately, a lot of people are ordering coffee. Or rather they're staying inside and doing all their shopping online, potentially ignoring Marple itself. Having an affordable and well-stocked supermarket within a minute's walking distance would make our local centre so much more useful to so many more residents. Rather than automatically driving to Stockport or out-of-town supermarkets, getting the train into Manchester or shopping online, more people would stay local, get out of their cars and perhaps realise what the place on their doorstep has to offer.