Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 700323 times)

Dave

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1238 on: January 07, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
I really and seriously would like you to come and debate the issue with MIA members who will have the information you need !

Miss M, if MIA has any further relevant information, on top of what is already in the public domain, then it would be helpful if you could publish it on here or on your website. 

Dave

« Reply #1237 on: January 07, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
Dave... re reinvestment and continuation of curriculum.. Marple and CHEADLE 6th form college... I'm sure they can continue with the courses by investing the money in the other campus?

I've never dealt with the YPLA, because it only appeared after I retired three years ago (and it's going to disappear again quite soon - quangos are like mushrooms, aren't they!).  However, from my experience of dealing with its predecessors (LSC, FEFC), if Marple students had to travel to Cheadle, as a result of the disposal of Hibbert Lane, the YPLA would not accept that. 

I have friends who live outside Marple who have signed the petiiton against the supermarket.  They have done so because they visit Marple frequently to use our local shops and enjoy the atmosphere in our town centre, and would like it to stay that way. They will not be visiting or spending money in our local economy if these shops disappear because a supermarket has taken their business.  They will not travel here to use a supermarket.

Personally I don't buy this argument at all.  We all go to Hazel Grove, Bredbury, even Whaley Bridge and Glossop, to do our supermarket shopping.  So why wouldn't people come here to do likewise?

Howard

« Reply #1236 on: January 07, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »
OK - the topic is unlocked again. A few points:

Debate is good. I'm not trying to censor anyone but have done some tidying up.

Please consider:
1) Do we really need posts that quote huge swathes of previous text with one line additions of "well said" or "I agree with you"? We KNOW that whatever is written here, someone will agree or disagree with it. Unless what you have to say contributes to the debate PLEASE don't feel you have to add something to the thread.

2) If you do have something to say to one other person, you don't have to clutter up the thread with it. Use the private message system (click on "my messages" in the menu bar) instead.

There are some excellent points on both sides so please let's keep it civil (well done - it has been so far) and relevant (needs work!).

Howard

« Reply #1235 on: January 07, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
All. There has been a huge amount of activity on this thread and some excellent points made. However, there are also some posts which are not quite so relevant so it has been locked for a short time whilst I wade through it and do a little judicious pruning.

Your posts will be kept so if I remove one and you want it back and have good reasons why, then I'm happy to reinstate it.

Rachael

« Reply #1234 on: January 07, 2012, 12:05:58 AM »
Dave you disappoint me!  Here's me trying to accommodate your request to be more transparent by introducing you to MIA members who are far more knowledgeable than myself on a range of issues you raise on this thread and you decline that invitation.  what is your reason for  refusing I am seriously interested to know !
Here's that word of mouth culture again
Oh no it isn't because it's your lucky day ! You may have missed it but you had an invite too, along with the other moderator of the YES face book page Tina    So come on HWL accept the invitation and make my day.   I find it strange that you three have to have an invitation because when the stall is in MARPLE we have lots of people coming intelligence gathering .  Why have you 3 never made yourselves known
can I just jump in here, no doubt my comment will be removed but why are my post's removed everytime for making a responce to something but miss marple can continuously keep bringing me up, I have already said I decline your offer to meet at your stall, I have walked past many times and been sneered at and don't wish to stand there being dictated to. I personally would like a supermarket, I have never hidden the fact and stood up very early on well before the yes campaign was set up by somebody else, and said I would like one as what we have in Marple is not good enough. Its not that I am uncaring towards the residents who surround the area, I have friends who live on all sides of the area of the college, so fully understand their concerns but to be real in the real world buildings get built/knocked down all over the country. at some point someone has been against such progress but it happens its called the future! Now please miss marple concentrate on your campaign, maybe stop being so personal and read carefully the questions what people are asking you.

I walked past in my Asda uniform and was asked to sign the petition  :P

Rachael

« Reply #1233 on: January 07, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
Lisa of course MIA have made mistakes we are a group of local residents who feel passionate that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would be a mistake.  We hopefully learn by our mistakes but what must be remembered is that we have MIA members who are sympathetic to the cause and if details were released it could be detrimental to their employment ie a conflict of interests.  The action line is always there for people to contact, the stall is a regular feature in the centre, and this web site serves as a point of contact.
I am no stranger to court  and have represented people in employment law cases where cases of conflict of interests has been a big issue with at times dire consequences for an individual, so MIA respect peoples right to remain in the 'back office'
I am sure when/ if the plans are submitted  MIA will become more transparent and will be looking to increase our numbers.  I did mention at the start of this topic that MIA was formed around my kitchen table and from there we have gained a band of people from all walks of life who bring skills, knowledge and a greater understanding of planning law.
I have also mentioned that MIA has different groups of individuals who work in teams within their own area of particular practice, there are members that even I have not met.
We are not a secret organisation and I fully understand how this may appear but sadly I am also fully aware of how so people can use this to in someway try to bring MIA into disrepute.  It's going to be a long haul and like I have said before there are really only 2 or 3 members of MIA who post on here.  I have continued to post to keep people informed of developments but I am becoming increasingly disappointed in some peoples contributions striving to give MIA a negative press instead of getting of their backside and starting an opposition group if they feel that there is a need.
Please do not continue to frighten MIA members from posting as this is at this moment the only source of information that you will receive that will help everyone keep up to speed with developments .  Please be respectful of our cause. MM

I might not want to admit it, but I will  ..... I actually agree with all that  Miss M has posted  .... regardless of my own feelings on the supermarket proposal in Marple

tina

« Reply #1232 on: January 06, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Dave you disappoint me!  Here's me trying to accommodate your request to be more transparent by introducing you to MIA members who are far more knowledgeable than myself on a range of issues you raise on this thread and you decline that invitation.  what is your reason for  refusing I am seriously interested to know !
Here's that word of mouth culture again
Oh no it isn't because it's your lucky day ! You may have missed it but you had an invite too, along with the other moderator of the YES face book page Tina    So come on HWL accept the invitation and make my day.   I find it strange that you three have to have an invitation because when the stall is in MARPLE we have lots of people coming intelligence gathering .  Why have you 3 never made yourselves known

can I just jump in here, no doubt my comment will be removed but why are my post's removed everytime for making a responce to something but miss marple can continuously keep bringing me up, I have already said I decline your offer to meet at your stall, I have walked past many times and been sneered at and don't wish to stand there being dictated to. I personally would like a supermarket, I have never hidden the fact and stood up very early on well before the yes campaign was set up by somebody else, and said I would like one as what we have in Marple is not good enough. Its not that I am uncaring towards the residents who surround the area, I have friends who live on all sides of the area of the college, so fully understand their concerns but to be real in the real world buildings get built/knocked down all over the country. at some point someone has been against such progress but it happens its called the future! Now please miss marple concentrate on your campaign, maybe stop being so personal and read carefully the questions what people are asking you.

sleepless

« Reply #1231 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
I have friends who live outside Marple who have signed the petiiton against the supermarket.  They have done so because they visit Marple frequently to use our local shops and enjoy the atmosphere in our town centre, and would like it to stay that way. They will not be visiting or spending money in our local economy if these shops disappear because a supermarket has taken their business.  They will not travel here to use a supermarket.

Also, if anyone has genuine concerns about how donations to the No Campaign are being used they can contact the Inland Revneue or the police rather than just making allegations on this site.

At the end of the day, whoever the members of MIA are, you either agree with their fundamental campaign - to stop a supermarket being built on Hibbert Lane - or not. Simples!

sleepless

« Reply #1230 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
Perhaps Asda is one of the "shadowy" figures behind the Yes Campaign?

There would also have been fewer rumours about the College's plans if the Principal or any of the governors had met with the No Campaign, as frequently requested, and discussed the matter with the local community. 

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #1229 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
 7,578 signature so far.  Can someone from the yes campaign provide figures from a petition, or from any public consultation, that they have organised?  It seems that the game afoot is to go for the 'No' campaign, rather than actually organising a 'Yes' campaign.  Asda would be proud of you  ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #1228 on: January 06, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
Where's my argument with people on the fence?  I want  opposition because if you know anything about politics (with a small p) you will know that MIA can only be as good as their opposition.
Lisa I have spent 35 years of my working life fighting  for democracy and justice so I take great exception at your comments.  Everyone is entitled to their views and I for one welcome that we live in a country where we can without fear voice our views !
I do think that you may take things a little too seriously and fail to recognise that I am a so called foot soldier within MIA I am not the brains nor have the experience to believe that I have all the answers   What I do although have knowledge in is the strong opposition to a supermarket on Hibbert Lane from people who it will effect directly.
Once again be mindful and respectful to the people on this site who do not contribute to the topic but follow with intrest this development.  I have on many occasions manned the MIA action line and I can assure you we have requests from our elderly community who want to sign the Petition but can not get to the stall.
Sadly because we do not have the man power or the resources to go and physically take a petition to then their views are sadly not represented.
If nothing else I am a realist and understand that many in our community do not have access to the Internet or are unable to visit the stall  and that troubles me greatly because those people have a right to sign a petition but can not due to age or disability.
So be mindful what you post and I would think that as a moderator you would  have to now  take more responsibility for your statements. 

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #1227 on: January 06, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
Dave... re reinvestment and continuation of curriculum.. Marple and CHEADLE 6th form college... I'm sure they can continue with the courses by investing the money in the other campus?

Also I asked for transparency initially, you just backed it up :D

Miss Marple... MIA are bringing themselves into disrepute by the representation on here and the rumours as already discussed.  Your main arguments on this forum at this moment in time, bar Dave, are against people who are on the fence!!!!  doesn't that tell you something?
Why on Earth can you be less transparent until the plans come out?  I'm sorry but there is NO reason someone cant stick up there hand and say "hi its me, i take full responsibility for everything that MIA says." 
I'm not asking for every single person but if you have representative in specific roles/titles then THEY should stand up and be counted
They're not doing, so.....
As I have been commenting regularly and generally arguing with the way you are running the campaign then I guess I'm in the list of those you are disappointed in..well tough get used to it.. i will always question and debate where i believe what you are doing is wrong! The negative "press" you claim we, on all sides of the fence,  are giving you is currently very well earned.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1226 on: January 06, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
How many signatures are there so far on the petition against the proposed supermarket?
Hi Admin has put some stats on Latest information on the MIA web site which may answer your question

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #1225 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
How many signatures are there so far on the petition against the proposed supermarket?

Miss Marple

« Reply #1224 on: January 06, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
Post removed. Could have been done by PM.