Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
September 22, 2014, 11:14:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Poll
Question: Do you approve, oppose or not care if a supermarket were built on the Hibbert Lane site?
I object to a supermarket being built on the site.
I approve of a supermarket being built on the site.
I don't mind what is done with it.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 129
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 133879 times)
Miss Marple

« Reply #1005 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »

Dave I sometimes think that you forget that MIA is against a supermarket on Hibbert so the statement says what the NO campaign thinks needs to be stated and I am sure if it was offensive Admin would not have put it on.

I would ask everyone to consider where would our children's education be if all 6th form colleges were allowed to dispose of land ?   I am sure we would all have something to say about that  As I have said many times before this is not about 2p off a tin of beans, it's to in someway stop a precedence being set. 

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Dave

« Reply #1006 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:39 AM »

I am sure if it was offensive Admin would not have put it on.

The problem is not that it is 'offensive' - I'm not concerned whether the college is offended by it.  The problem is simply that it isn't true.  'Corporate greed' is a recently coined phrase, I think from America, which is handy for describing selfish and anti-social behaviour by banks and other huge international commercial corporations. A good example, closer to home, would be RBS, which before the 2008 crash made ill advised acquisitions in the hope of making a quick profit, and where the top executives and board members paid themselves multi-million pound bonuses shortly before they were bailed out by us taxpayers.  A local college seeking to improve its facilities on behalf of the community is about as far from 'corporate greed' as you can get!  

I would ask everyone to consider where would our children's education be if all 6th form colleges were allowed to dispose of land?

As I have explained before, sixth-form colleges, like further education colleges and universities, own their own land, and if they need to dispose of some of it in order to improve their facilities they can, and frequently do.
Dave

« Reply #1007 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. Hope that helps clarify things - I don't know how else to make it clearer  Huh

I think what confuses some of us is that one of MIA's main reasons for campaigning against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane is that it would cause greatly increased traffic congestion in Marple.  But surely that's no different from what would happen if the supermarket were right in the centre of the shopping area. 

If a new supermarket were to open within the district centre it would have to be considerably smaller than what could potentially be built on a 8.5 acre site so would not draw as many people from surrounding areas and therefore not increase traffic as much as a larger store on Hibbert Lane would do.

It wouldn't actually be a supermarket. It would be a large convenience store at best (and there are plenty of those already). There is no room for another supermarket in the centre of Marple. So when MIA say 'we don't mind another supermarket in Marple just not on Hibbert Lane' what they really mean is 'we don't want another supermarket in Marple on the only currently feasible site where one could be built.' Ergo 'we don't want another supermarket in Marple'.

And if we did get a large convenience store (eg Tesco Metro or Sainsbury's Local) it would charge inflated prices - they always do.  Drop in at the Sainsbury's Local at Romiley or the new one in New Mills - the prices are eye-watering.    Shocked   They make the Co-op look positively reasonable........ 
Miss Marple

« Reply #1008 on: October 09, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »

This Wed is a very important meeting for the community its the date when we can  ask our elected members, SMBC planning officers  and hopefully Ms Cassidy questions about the  proposal to build a supermarket in the middle of a residential area. 
Since the last Area Committee meeting lots more information has come to light via Freedom Of Information requests and information directly from the community, these questions now require answers and hopefully they will be given on Wednesday and if not the community will remember !
It is important that you attend MIA are mindful that the time for a lot of people commuting is not ideal but please do your best to attend and inform as many people as you can about this important meeting.
We must once again remind all that need reminding that there is STRONG opposition to this proposals and if CAMSFC want to continue with this course of action they will be answerable to every person for years to come,  who will in anyway be effected by this development if it  goes ahead
PLEASE attend Marple needs your help  Kiss

Miss Marple

« Reply #1009 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »

When did Cllr Alexander cease being a Governor at CAMSFC  maybe this is a question that needs addressing on Wed. The college informed us that they had been looking into this sale for years so did Cllr Alexander know ?  Well I hope to find out on Wed ?

If only there was a Marple councillor in the management team at the college. Undecided

Oh wait, here we are : Councillor Shan Alexander Grin

Declaration of interests here.

Profile and contact details here.

admin
Administrator

« Reply #1010 on: October 09, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »

Here is a reply from Cllr Alexander received in October 2006 in response to rumours that the land was to be sold:

Sale of land
Cheadle and Marple 6th form College has no intention of selling any land at present. They have asked for a feasibility study on the buildings at both sites. This is to look at the viability or otherwise of running a college on one site and to look at building a college of the future, fit for purpose to achieve the highest standards for students, teacher and all concerned. There has been no planning application sent to the planners at the council.

This was posted on the web site at the time here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1216.msg4586#msg4586

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
sgk

« Reply #1011 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »

Here is a reply from Cllr Alexander received in October 2006 in response to rumours that the land was to be sold:

Sale of land
Cheadle and Marple 6th form College has no intention of selling any land at present. They have asked for a feasibility study on the buildings at both sites. This is to look at the viability or otherwise of running a college on one site and to look at building a college of the future, fit for purpose to achieve the highest standards for students, teacher and all concerned. There has been no planning application sent to the planners at the council.

This was posted on the web site at the time here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1216.msg4586#msg4586

Perhaps it's merely an oversight on her / Stockport Council's behalf, but her profile on the council site lists Shan as still acting in a management role at the college. It's dated June 2006.

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=117&T=6, as linked from http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=117
Miss Marple

« Reply #1012 on: October 09, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »

I have looked but I can not find it via the link, how do you find it !

Miss Marple

« Reply #1013 on: October 09, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »

I stand to be corrected ! But doesn't that mean that CAMSFC were looking at moving to one building before the Skills Council stopped funding. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #1014 on: October 10, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »

Latest Statement from CAMSFC.

Well at least we now know so at least the guessing game is over  Wink

Dave

« Reply #1015 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »

Sale of land

Perhaps it's merely an oversight on her / Stockport Council's behalf, but her profile on the council site lists Shan as still acting in a management role at the college. It's dated June 2006.

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=117&T=6, as linked from http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=117

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it's important to distinguish between a 'management role' and being a governor.  Cllr Alexander was a governor, but she has never, AFAIK, been a manager at the college.

I stand to be corrected ! But doesn't that mean that CAMSFC were looking at moving to one building before the Skills Council stopped funding. 

Yes - but I think we knew that anyway, for example from the 'Sports Hall to Close' thread on this forum which dates from five years ago.  The abolition of the Learning and Skills Council was announced in 2008, although it took another two years before it was completely wound up.  This was triggered by some disastrous financial mismanagement by the LSC, which was extensively covered by the press at the time.  In 2009, the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee described the LSC's handling of its college building programme as 'catastrophic mismanagement'. It resulted in a £2.7 billion debt, with 144 college building contracts having to be terminated abruptly, and leaving many colleges with huge financial penalties for breach of contract with civil engineering companies. Camsfc was likely to have been caught up in this, because it all happened around that time (2006 - 2008).  Luckily, I don't think their plans were so advanced that they lost money through having to terminate building contracts etc. 
Miss Marple

« Reply #1016 on: October 11, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »

Well we have an opportunity to ask Cllr Alexander tomorrow so that should set the record straight. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #1017 on: October 13, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »

Very interesting meeting tonight with elected members 3  who are off the fence pledging their support against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane.   Dave Goddard Leader of Stockport was  also present and gave his support and said that the council would fight this all the way.
The corporation did not appear and appear not to be answerable to anyone.   Issues about the cost of moving the science labs down to Buston Lane was discussed and also how 12 million would not support the promises made by the college to relocate all amenities and also to build a college for the future.
Good news for all who could not attend the evening is that a video of the evening will be put on the councils web site in a couple of days for all to view.
I am sure that the college will be watching the video  with interest it's just a shame and a disgrace that they can not face the public and be answerable  for this ridiculas proposal  !   SHAME ON YOU CAMSFC !

Marplemum

« Reply #1018 on: October 13, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »

Why is a shame?  CAMSFC have already explained their situation clearly and consisely in the statement from the Chair of Governors.  There will be plently of opportunity for all parties to state their views in the proper manner once the planning application has been submitted and it all goes through the correct processes.

Personal remark removed from this post. Admin.
Tina

« Reply #1019 on: October 13, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »

Last night was awful in my opinion! You behaved like children trying to score points. The whole point of the meeting was for the planning department to inform you there has been no planning applications made and what the process was once it is. The meeting took nearly 2 hours in which to be honest could of been wrapped up in an hour! You all asked the same questions. There was genuine questions from residents which was answered and I hope they went away feeling relieved. The question about the swimming baths again was answered no plans have been submitted to them and IF said supermarket was planning on doing so NO compulsory orders will be made as it is NOT the council who would want it. I was told last night that I am making a fool of myself on this forum, infact I wasn't told I was shouted at! I asked that person not to shout at me and his wife told me not to worry that's how he speaks to people. Well I'm sorry I don't wish to be shouted at, so please don't approach me again.

I feel I have just as much right to my own opinion as the next person, and would never try to publically humiliate anyone.  when the yes group attended the rally in the park we stood and listened to everything said and didn't shout out during. Last night Gary spoke on behalf of the yes group and he was heckled from start to finish. It was disgusting. You are adults but behaved like children!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 129
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite