Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 700295 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #1013 on: October 09, 2011, 08:55:57 PM »
I have looked but I can not find it via the link, how do you find it !

sgk

« Reply #1012 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »
Here is a reply from Cllr Alexander received in October 2006 in response to rumours that the land was to be sold:

Sale of land
Cheadle and Marple 6th form College has no intention of selling any land at present. They have asked for a feasibility study on the buildings at both sites. This is to look at the viability or otherwise of running a college on one site and to look at building a college of the future, fit for purpose to achieve the highest standards for students, teacher and all concerned. There has been no planning application sent to the planners at the council.

This was posted on the web site at the time here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1216.msg4586#msg4586

Perhaps it's merely an oversight on her / Stockport Council's behalf, but her profile on the council site lists Shan as still acting in a management role at the college. It's dated June 2006.

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=117&T=6, as linked from http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=117

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1011 on: October 09, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »
Here is a reply from Cllr Alexander received in October 2006 in response to rumours that the land was to be sold:

Sale of land
Cheadle and Marple 6th form College has no intention of selling any land at present. They have asked for a feasibility study on the buildings at both sites. This is to look at the viability or otherwise of running a college on one site and to look at building a college of the future, fit for purpose to achieve the highest standards for students, teacher and all concerned. There has been no planning application sent to the planners at the council.

This was posted on the web site at the time here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1216.msg4586#msg4586
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #1010 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »
When did Cllr Alexander cease being a Governor at CAMSFC  maybe this is a question that needs addressing on Wed. The college informed us that they had been looking into this sale for years so did Cllr Alexander know ?  Well I hope to find out on Wed ?

If only there was a Marple councillor in the management team at the college. :-\

Oh wait, here we are : Councillor Shan Alexander ;D

Declaration of interests here.

Profile and contact details here.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1009 on: October 09, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
This Wed is a very important meeting for the community its the date when we can  ask our elected members, SMBC planning officers  and hopefully Ms Cassidy questions about the  proposal to build a supermarket in the middle of a residential area. 
Since the last Area Committee meeting lots more information has come to light via Freedom Of Information requests and information directly from the community, these questions now require answers and hopefully they will be given on Wednesday and if not the community will remember !
It is important that you attend MIA are mindful that the time for a lot of people commuting is not ideal but please do your best to attend and inform as many people as you can about this important meeting.
We must once again remind all that need reminding that there is STRONG opposition to this proposals and if CAMSFC want to continue with this course of action they will be answerable to every person for years to come,  who will in anyway be effected by this development if it  goes ahead
PLEASE attend Marple needs your help  :-*

Dave

« Reply #1008 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. Hope that helps clarify things - I don't know how else to make it clearer  ???

I think what confuses some of us is that one of MIA's main reasons for campaigning against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane is that it would cause greatly increased traffic congestion in Marple.  But surely that's no different from what would happen if the supermarket were right in the centre of the shopping area. 

If a new supermarket were to open within the district centre it would have to be considerably smaller than what could potentially be built on a 8.5 acre site so would not draw as many people from surrounding areas and therefore not increase traffic as much as a larger store on Hibbert Lane would do.

It wouldn't actually be a supermarket. It would be a large convenience store at best (and there are plenty of those already). There is no room for another supermarket in the centre of Marple. So when MIA say 'we don't mind another supermarket in Marple just not on Hibbert Lane' what they really mean is 'we don't want another supermarket in Marple on the only currently feasible site where one could be built.' Ergo 'we don't want another supermarket in Marple'.

And if we did get a large convenience store (eg Tesco Metro or Sainsbury's Local) it would charge inflated prices - they always do.  Drop in at the Sainsbury's Local at Romiley or the new one in New Mills - the prices are eye-watering.    :o   They make the Co-op look positively reasonable........ 

Dave

« Reply #1007 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:39 AM »
I am sure if it was offensive Admin would not have put it on.

The problem is not that it is 'offensive' - I'm not concerned whether the college is offended by it.  The problem is simply that it isn't true.  'Corporate greed' is a recently coined phrase, I think from America, which is handy for describing selfish and anti-social behaviour by banks and other huge international commercial corporations. A good example, closer to home, would be RBS, which before the 2008 crash made ill advised acquisitions in the hope of making a quick profit, and where the top executives and board members paid themselves multi-million pound bonuses shortly before they were bailed out by us taxpayers.  A local college seeking to improve its facilities on behalf of the community is about as far from 'corporate greed' as you can get!  

I would ask everyone to consider where would our children's education be if all 6th form colleges were allowed to dispose of land?

As I have explained before, sixth-form colleges, like further education colleges and universities, own their own land, and if they need to dispose of some of it in order to improve their facilities they can, and frequently do.

Miss Marple

« Reply #1006 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »
Dave I sometimes think that you forget that MIA is against a supermarket on Hibbert so the statement says what the NO campaign thinks needs to be stated and I am sure if it was offensive Admin would not have put it on.

I would ask everyone to consider where would our children's education be if all 6th form colleges were allowed to dispose of land ?   I am sure we would all have something to say about that  As I have said many times before this is not about 2p off a tin of beans, it's to in someway stop a precedence being set. 

Dave

« Reply #1005 on: October 06, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
The problem with MIA is neatly summed up by today's post on the locked 'Latest News' thread, which describes the college's plans as  'our community ruined to satisfy corporate greed.'

The notion that much needed improvements to this community's local college, a public sector body where nearly all of our children and grandchildren do their A levels, are dismissed as 'corporate greed' is a disgraceful distortion of the truth.  I hope that whoever wrote it will reconsider that description and use more appropriate language. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #1004 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
Flipping heck Tina I would be more than a little concerned if you didn't know about it !  Lol.  ;D.   It was just that a few things needed tweaking before we committed, so I made a few phone calls and now it's been tweaked we are attending.  Hey hope the weathers better than tonight  ;)

Henry_

« Reply #1003 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. Hope that helps clarify things - I don't know how else to make it clearer  ???

I think what confuses some of us is that one of MIA's main reasons for campaigning against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane is that it would cause greatly increased traffic congestion in Marple.  But surely that's no different from what would happen if the supermarket were right in the centre of the shopping area. 

If a new supermarket were to open within the district centre it would have to be considerably smaller than what could potentially be built on a 8.5 acre site so would not draw as many people from surrounding areas and therefore not increase traffic as much as a larger store on Hibbert Lane would do.

It wouldn't actually be a supermarket. It would be a large convenience store at best (and there are plenty of those already). There is no room for another supermarket in the centre of Marple. So when MIA say 'we don't mind another supermarket in Marple just not on Hibbert Lane' what they really mean is 'we don't want another supermarket in Marple on the only currently feasible site where one could be built.' Ergo 'we don't want another supermarket in Marple'.

tina

« Reply #1002 on: October 06, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
No we have no plans to attend because the governors are not attending so it would be a waste of time, all our questions have been answered by the councillors and planners so it's not worth turning people out to hear what they already know,  so unless Ms Cassidy and the corporation agree to attend, which to date they have not but if they do decide to enter into a question and answer session we will be there !

Sorry    It should have read (I must need glasses). MIA will be attending if it is a question and answer session with the corporation, Ms Cassidy , planners and elected members.  As we don't think Ms Cassidy and the corporation will attend, as they have not responded to anyone not even the councillors  We will be attending to get questions which have recently come to light answered by planners and councillors and this time we want answers not a lecture or a debate, time is ticking !

It was a honest question and you tried to do your usual trick... You answered my question.. "No we have no plans to attend?"   then decided after I said I need glasses to add more on and then try to cover it up. Did you think I didn't know about it?

I try so hard to be polite when you contine to behave in this way!

Belle Star

« Reply #1001 on: October 06, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #1000 on: October 06, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »

Ah come to the meeting Dave if you need answers because I will  be getting my questions answered have no doubt about that !

Miss Marple

« Reply #999 on: October 06, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »
No we have no plans to attend because the governors are not attending so it would be a waste of time, all our questions have been answered by the councillors and planners so it's not worth turning people out to hear what they already know,  so unless Ms Cassidy and the corporation agree to attend, which to date they have not but if they do decide to enter into a question and answer session we will be there !

Sorry    It should have read (I must need glasses). MIA will be attending if it is a question and answer session with the corporation, Ms Cassidy , planners and elected members.  As we don't think Ms Cassidy and the corporation will attend, as they have not responded to anyone not even the councillors  We will be attending to get questions which have recently come to light answered by planners and councillors and this time we want answers not a lecture or a debate, time is ticking !