Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 707656 times)

Dave

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #998 on: October 06, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. Hope that helps clarify things - I don't know how else to make it clearer  ???

I think what confuses some of us is that one of MIA's main reasons for campaigning against a supermarket on Hibbert Lane is that it would cause greatly increased traffic congestion in Marple.  But surely that's no different from what would happen if the supermarket were right in the centre of the shopping area. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #997 on: October 06, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
No we have no plans to attend ?

Sorry must be a mistake. maybe I need glasses!

I am not sure what you mean sorry

tina

« Reply #996 on: October 06, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
No we have no plans to attend ?

Sorry must be a mistake. maybe I need glasses!

Miss Marple

« Reply #995 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
No we have no plans to attend because the governors are not attending so it would be a waste of time, all our questions have been answered by the councillors and planners so it's not worth turning people out to hear what they already know,  so unless Ms Cassidy and the corporation agree to attend, which to date they have not but if they do decide to enter into a question and answer session we will be there !

tina

« Reply #994 on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »
Well there are no more meetings or talks  planned todate by MIA, with anyone or anybody until after the governors meeting on 17th Oct so let's all wait and see what happens ! You could say MIA are conserving their  energy  ;)

Will MIA not be attending the area committee meeting on the 12th then?

Tricky

« Reply #993 on: October 06, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

Looking at the District Centre map, the area the Co-op occupies now is, of course, included within the district centre.

BUT

I imagine that this map's boundary would have changed when that space became retail and Aeroquip was demolished back in the 80's..?

Just for curiosities sake I'd like to see the 70's version of the map

meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #992 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »
Well there are no more meetings or talks  planned todate by MIA, with anyone or anybody until after the governors meeting on 17th Oct so let's all wait and see what happens ! You could say MIA are conserving their  energy  ;)

Belle Star

« Reply #991 on: October 06, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
It's good to see this potential local shop closures issue being debated properly. A central plank of MIA's campaign seems to be that such closures would be inevitable. Yet there is no hard and fast evidence to prove this point. I would trust the Tescopoly campaign on this no more than I would trust the PR departments of this country's biggest retailers, probably less so in fact. But that's my own opinion based somewhat on political leanings.

So apologies for raising the term 'scare-mongering' again but those on the No side seem to have been convinced that the town centre would be a ghost town soon after the opening of any new supermarket on Hibbert Lane. I was struck at the rally in the park by how widely this crystal ball gazing has been accepted as an incontrovertible truth, when my own eyes tell me that there are many towns close to us that support large supermarkets (slightly out of the town centre) and thriving local shops.

Sadly we can't clone Marple and run a parallel universe type experiment, so whatever does come to pass no one will know what would have happened under the alternative scenario.

Anyway, off topic slightly but I'm looking forward to popping into the co-op soon for all my legal needs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15187154

Despite the title Tesco Law, the supermarket has said it has "no current plans to offer legal services". But the Co-operative was among the first stores to say it was interested in offering a legal business.
I agree henry!!.

As well as scaremongering, i yet again bring up the point about MIAs constant contradictions. They dont want a supermarket on hibbert lane as they believe marple wouldbe a ghost town.....yet they feel one smack bang in the town centre is acceptable......confused? Arnt we all!!

This is taken from a post I made in the thread 'A shop that does not open when I wish to shop might as well not be there...'

MIA's campaign is 'No to supermarket on Hibbert Lane'. There should be no ambiguity about this. MIA would welcome a new supermarket within the district centre of Marple to provide competition for the Co-op and choice for local residents. This would bring more people into Marple which can only be seen as a good thing for the community and local businesses. The issue with Hibbert Lane is that it is not within the retail zone, as laid down by the council and is just far enough away from the centre to draw shoppers away from other shops.

Hope that helps clarify things - I don't know how else to make it clearer  ???

mum_of_2

« Reply #990 on: October 06, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
It's good to see this potential local shop closures issue being debated properly. A central plank of MIA's campaign seems to be that such closures would be inevitable. Yet there is no hard and fast evidence to prove this point. I would trust the Tescopoly campaign on this no more than I would trust the PR departments of this country's biggest retailers, probably less so in fact. But that's my own opinion based somewhat on political leanings.

So apologies for raising the term 'scare-mongering' again but those on the No side seem to have been convinced that the town centre would be a ghost town soon after the opening of any new supermarket on Hibbert Lane. I was struck at the rally in the park by how widely this crystal ball gazing has been accepted as an incontrovertible truth, when my own eyes tell me that there are many towns close to us that support large supermarkets (slightly out of the town centre) and thriving local shops.

Sadly we can't clone Marple and run a parallel universe type experiment, so whatever does come to pass no one will know what would have happened under the alternative scenario.

Anyway, off topic slightly but I'm looking forward to popping into the co-op soon for all my legal needs.

Despite the title Tesco Law, the supermarket has said it has "no current plans to offer legal services". But the Co-operative was among the first stores to say it was interested in offering a legal business.
I agree henry!!.

As well as scaremongering, i yet again bring up the point about MIAs constant contradictions. They dont want a supermarket on hibbert lane as they believe marple wouldbe a ghost town.....yet they feel one smack bang in the town centre is acceptable......confused? Arnt we all!!

Howard

« Reply #989 on: October 06, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
1000th POST IN THIS THREAD!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Harry

« Reply #988 on: October 06, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave

« Reply #987 on: October 06, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »
whatever does come to pass no one will know what would have happened under the alternative scenario.

A very good point.  No doubt MIA supporters have a variety of views and motivations for supporting the campaign.  But one common factor, I suspect, is fear of change.  However, the reality is that change is going to happen anyway - it always does.    It may not be as sudden or as visible as a new Tesco, but it can be just as significant.  I've lived here for nearly 30 years, and the area has changed hugely in that time (mostly for the better), and no doubt it will continue to do so, with or without a supermarket on Hibbert Lane..   

Henry_

« Reply #986 on: October 06, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »
Well done on the song lyrics, but there is absolutely zero evidence that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would sound the death knell of the town centre in favour of more big chains.

There's some similarities here to Stalybridge, which was "blessed" with a Tesco on the edge of town a few years ago.  Remaining shops mostly closed down, or became pubs / betting offices / kebab shops.

The sad state of Stalybridge Town Centre

I don't think a picture of a deserted town centre proves anything. It could have been taken on a Sunday.

Here's Marple's Market Street, on the run up to Christmas, with the shops open.

Not a soul to be seen.

Good point, what is really needed is shop occupancy rates for comparable towns near Marple and for Marple itself. That would not be proof of what would happen in the future of course, but it would be the most relevant possible information to get us to a best guess.

Harry

« Reply #985 on: October 06, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
Well done on the song lyrics, but there is absolutely zero evidence that a supermarket on Hibbert Lane would sound the death knell of the town centre in favour of more big chains.

There's some similarities here to Stalybridge, which was "blessed" with a Tesco on the edge of town a few years ago.  Remaining shops mostly closed down, or became pubs / betting offices / kebab shops.

The sad state of Stalybridge Town Centre

I don't think a picture of a deserted town centre proves anything. It could have been taken on a Sunday.

Here's Marple's Market Street, on the run up to Christmas, with the shops open.

Not a soul to be seen.

Henry_

« Reply #984 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »