Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701825 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #923 on: September 09, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »
Yep, thats MP's for you, Jumping on the band wagon, then wondering why the band wagon's wheels fell off...

I am absolutely sure that Andrew Stunell knew what he was saying. He's been around too long to get caught up in a bandwagon. Local MPs will be entirely pragmatic about an issue like this. Andrew Stunell will continue to publicly state that the college should find another way of funding their new building. He will do this whilst knowing full well that legally they have to accept the highest bid, no matter who it comes from, or what the planning regulations are saying about the use of the land.

Therefore he will be able to say he has supported the "no" campaign which (currently) the majority of his Marple constituents seem to want. He will also be able to say (if the sale of the land goes through to a supermarket) that unfortunately the college was following its legal obligations.

Stunnell is being very practical, the easiest way to ensure the site is not a supermarket is for the college to re-think their sell Hibbert Lane - build up at Buxton La strategy.

MIA would do well to follow that lead rather than risk the site being sold and a long legal wrangle.

sooty2

« Reply #922 on: September 09, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
Less impressive was our MP, who seemed unaware of the legal obligation on the college to sell to the highest bidder.  He also repeatedly referred to the fact that SMBC would reject a planning application for retail use, without mentioning that this could then be overturned on appeal.  

He's playing to his audience Dave. Of course he knows that, and so do we. However, the majority of people from Marple who were listening to this wouldn't know this and would think he's firmly on the "no supermarket" side. All politicians do it, so we shouldn't really be surprised.
"The majority of people in  Marple wouldn't know that" What ever makes you think that?Of course councillors and MP's say what they like and we would be foolish to believe them.A lot of People also know about the appeal system and the the high possibility of it not being heard due to cost.Do you two think we came down in the last shower?The people on the radio didn't have the time discuss all their objections.Also people are not concerned about the increase in traffic just on Hibbert Lane.The whole of Marple would be affected if we had a large store.A smaller store in the town centre would not cause traffic mayhem.I wouldn't think that type of store would attract  many people from outside the area.Don't under estimate peoples intelligence.It's hardly rocket science, and insulting >:(

Sorry I did not see the last post mentioning traffic by Jethro

jethroh65

« Reply #921 on: September 09, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
I too noticed that the MIA people avoided mentioning the likely increase in traffic, but maybe they were being quite clever.    ;)   Although not all MIA supporters seem to agree on every detail, the general line seems to be that a supermarket would be OK in the middle of the town (e.g Chadwick Street) but not on the edge of it.  So if they had objected on the grounds of an increase in traffic, the interviewer would have said something like 'why are you against an increase  in traffic on Hibbert Lane, but not in the town centre?'
I take your point on how the interviewer would play devil's advocate.
From my point a smaller type of supermarket in the centre, the size of Tesco express or Sainsburys local like the one in Romiley.
The ideal thing would have been when Hanburys closed another chain would have taken that over.

A smaller size store in the centre would give the desired alternative choice to the Co-op but without the increase in Traffic a superstore would bring to the area.

Dave

« Reply #920 on: September 09, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »
I too noticed that the MIA people avoided mentioning the likely increase in traffic, but maybe they were being quite clever.    ;)   Although not all MIA supporters seem to agree on every detail, the general line seems to be that a supermarket would be OK in the middle of the town (e.g Chadwick Street) but not on the edge of it.  So if they had objected on the grounds of an increase in traffic, the interviewer would have said something like 'why are you against an increase  in traffic on Hibbert Lane, but not in the town centre?'

jethroh65

« Reply #919 on: September 09, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »
Just listened to the interviews, to be honest I was a little disappointed. All the comments from the MIA were
related to the effect on local businesses and the people that own them. There was no comment from the MIA
about the effect a new store would have with regards to the local traffic and the people who live locally to
Hibbert Lane, Buxton Lane & the New developments.
It just makes you wonder if the highest bidder was a somebody wanting build large office complex or industrial units would there be the same outcry from the people who run the local businesses?
Andrew Stunell did mention briefly about the traffic problems that would result.
It should be remembered that people's opposition in the area just not just related to how the local business community is affected.
This how the interview came across to me.

The college principal also made some interesting comments about the thoughts on what may be built on Buxton Lane.
The existing structure i.e. Theatre etc would remain intact. a new sports Hall would be built, Arts Block &
a new science block.
So that would be 3 new building + the additional car parking that would be needed.

The above must mean that a lot of  existing field & Tennis courts would be built on ?

Howard

« Reply #918 on: September 09, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Yep, thats MP's for you, Jumping on the band wagon, then wondering why the band wagon's wheels fell off...

I am absolutely sure that Andrew Stunell knew what he was saying. He's been around too long to get caught up in a bandwagon. Local MPs will be entirely pragmatic about an issue like this. Andrew Stunell will continue to publicly state that the college should find another way of funding their new building. He will do this whilst knowing full well that legally they have to accept the highest bid, no matter who it comes from, or what the planning regulations are saying about the use of the land.

Therefore he will be able to say he has supported the "no" campaign which (currently) the majority of his Marple constituents seem to want. He will also be able to say (if the sale of the land goes through to a supermarket) that unfortunately the college was following its legal obligations.

Smithy166

« Reply #917 on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »
Yep, thats MP's for you, Jumping on the band wagon, then woundering why the band wagon's wheels fell off...

Howard

« Reply #916 on: September 09, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
Less impressive was our MP, who seemed unaware of the legal obligation on the college to sell to the highest bidder.  He also repeatedly referred to the fact that SMBC would reject a planning application for retail use, without mentioning that this could then be overturned on appeal. 

He's playing to his audience Dave. Of course he knows that, and so do we. However, the majority of people from Marple who were listening to this wouldn't know this and would think he's firmly on the "no supermarket" side. All politicians do it, so we shouldn't really be surprised.

Dave

« Reply #915 on: September 09, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Interesting interviews on Radio Manchester - worth going on the website and having a listen while it's still there.

I thought the MIA people and the college principal made their points pretty well.  Less impressive was our MP, who seemed unaware of the legal obligation on the college to sell to the highest bidder.  He also repeatedly referred to the fact that SMBC would reject a planning application for retail use, without mentioning that this could then be overturned on appeal. 

sooty2

« Reply #914 on: September 09, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
Imagine,Pure and the BBC! It was a 6.30am start for some.That's what I call dedication!!

Smithy166

« Reply #913 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
Congratulations on the radio interview MIA! especially at that time in the morning!
Sounds like you guys made some valid points, I'm actually suprised that The principle actually allowed herself to be interviewed!
How is that college building falling down? I've not been trapped by falling debries yet! If the cinema is the one that i'm thinking of its used by 2 classes a week, thats it!
The building is, atleast from my point of view as a student, Is more than capable of handling the current demands placed upon it. Yes, it is tired, however, Its almost as if the college has pulled ALL funding for improvement of the site, if the state of the desks are anything to go by.

JMC

« Reply #912 on: September 08, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

I often shop at Aldi if I'm at the Gym over that way, it's not hypocritical.

But some people do see it as such.

amazon

« Reply #911 on: September 08, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
Has anyone had a look at what people on the hazel grove forum are saying about the campaign(s)?
It makes for interseting reading, Including one post saying "Can we get our ASDA closed down once Marple have been cursed with one ?"
You can have a look at the forum here : http://www.hazel-grove.co.uk/forum/posts.asp?TID=2969&TPN=1
The interseting thing is that people from hazel grove, which does have a supermarket, are actually backing the No campaign, although as usual there are some people who are trying to argue otherwise, One poster actually called some of the "no" campaigners "SNOBS"!
As a side note, I've discovered that Asdas come with the following "delux" features! Handy Roadworks going on constantly, even at 3AM, to ensure that your life is as hellish as possible! They will also through in "one lane" closures during the small hours, so that you can't get out of your house!

So When do they do the roadworks .

Duke Fame

« Reply #910 on: September 08, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Has anyone had a look at what people on the hazel grove forum are saying about the campaign(s)?
It makes for interseting reading, Including one post saying "Can we get our ASDA closed down once Marple have been cursed with one ?"
You can have a look at the forum here : http://www.hazel-grove.co.uk/forum/posts.asp?TID=2969&TPN=1
The interseting thing is that people from hazel grove, which does have a supermarket, are actually backing the No campaign, although as usual there are some people who are trying to argue otherwise, One poster actually called some of the "no" campaigners "SNOBS"!
As a side note, I've discovered that Asdas come with the following "delux" features! Handy Roadworks going on constantly, even at 3AM, to ensure that your life is as hellish as possible! They will also through in "one lane" closures during the small hours, so that you can't get out of your house!

It is interesting. One person said that they saw someone with a 'no' poster in their window and they were shopping at Aldi. So they found it quite hypocritical if they are not supporting local shops etc.

I often shop at Aldi if I'm at the Gym over that way, it's not hypocritical.

I'm not sure how relevant to Cpt B.H. smith.'s post that is.

JMC

« Reply #909 on: September 08, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »

It is interesting. One person said that they saw someone with a 'no' poster in their window and they were shopping at Aldi. So they found it quite hypocritical if they are not supporting local shops etc.